Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Spark Plugs

Options
  • 12-06-2002 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Does anyone who services their own car set the gap for the spark plugs, or do you just insert them as they come out of the box?

Always?

Never?

No idea what your talking about?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The gap should be set to the maunfactuers recomendation
    when you buy a car its a good idea to get a Halfords manual,
    they have them for most popluar models, if you dont know the gap then set it to a width of .7 or .8 of a millimetre. That will usually do it. (I accept no responcibility for rough running engines!)

Failing that you could just phone the stores dept of the local dealer of your make/model, they'll help.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Hi Mike65,

I have a Haynes manual and service the car myself but I tend to put the plugs in as are.

Do you think the gap is important?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

A good question!

The gap dictats the spark size which is required to fire the
    fuel which...blah,blah,blah (:D)

I guess they recomend a specific width for a good reason, are the plugs already in clean or sooty? thats the best indicator of engine health, if the plug only has the usual light brown deposits then simply use the same gap, I'm assuming the plugs are the same type, as diff plugs have diff settings, the Haynes manual usually recomends a brand and type.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

I heard that using an old 10p coin was an accurate way of measuring the gap...dunno what the story is with the euro now though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Ba$tard

The Gap is set according to the plug Model # you get ...
    read your car manual and get the recommended NGK/Champion, etc spark plug which comes with the correct core width/gap and spark strength for your car..

Dont go modifying the gap on a spark plug unless you have the correct plug gap tool :) ..

...and if you have a Vtec/VVti car DEFINATELY dont go foolin around with yours plugs!!!

J.

• Advertisement
Advertisement