Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

data error reading drive c : [or sommat]

• 12-06-2002 12:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭

lo

an error similar to this popped up on a pc at a friends house as i booted up the ol P120

ive yet to do a scandisk via dos, ill do that 2moro

if the error cant be fixed by sdisk am I fupped ?

will formatting and re-install windows be any use to me, or am i best of getting a new[ish] drive ?

ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Check the IDE and power cables to the drive.
    Try the DOS scandisk, it saved a totaly corrupt drive for me in the past... the drive suffered a complete hardware failure a few weeks later, but at least I got to make backups.
    If scandisk bugs out, you could try an fdisk + format.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

I hate to say this but I would say the drive is probably knackered or else on its way. If it's as old as the P120, the it doesn't surprise me. But having said that I have a 486 DX2/66 with a 540MB drive that has been running flawlessly for the past 7 years. I only low level formatted it the other day, and setup and OS on it, because it's my grandfathers now ;)

On the otherhand my 10GB maxtor, which lasted my exactly 2 years (to the week), failed on me completely. But that's life (I have a new one now :) ).

But I do agree with Santahoe, try the cables. Something could have come loose. But instinct tells me that you will probably find bad clusters when you scan it. In this case do anything you can to get the data off it ASAP.

G'luck
    ;-phobos-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

through it into another pc simple solution if it works your sorted if not its buggered

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Actually elexes that does not mean that necessarily, it only proves the problem is with the drive but it does not mean its shagged... the old drives usually last a LOT longer than newer drives.. the term "They dont make em like they used to!" certainly applies to hard drives... though they are a lot faster and bigger these days... anyhow... Phobos hinted at a solution that will probably work... Low level format.. this is not a format c: jobbie... trust me a low level format can fix a massive ammount of drive problems short of a drive thats clunking or sounds like a pneumatic drill!

If you want to know where to get software to do this (dos based bootdisk job here) then ask and i will tell you where.

Advertisement