Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

laptop heating up

• 12-06-2002 9:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

im just wondering how hot your laptops get ??mine seems to get very hot when i leave it on for a while or even use the dvd drive . im just wondering how everyones's are running ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,396 ✭✭✭PPC

I had a P4 1.6 laptop for a while and it ran really really hot.
    Didn't check it.
    Found out the company didn't wait for the mobile P4 and used the desktop one :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

If you have a newish dell laptop, you can use a program called fangui to control the fans and keep an eye on the cpu temp. It works perfectly in my Inspiron 8100.

http://www.diefer.de/i8kfan/index.html is the site for it.
    All the first P4 laptops used the desktop northwood chip. Same kind of thing happened with P3 laptops, I once got an Advent from PC World thinking it was a mobile chip, but instead it was a desktop one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I have a Toshiba 1800-814 its a P3 1.1ghz and i must say it has the best cooling system on any laptop i have ever seen! It barely gets warm let alone hot! The warm air is blasted out of the side of the laptop but the chassis itself stays just above room temp.. its excellent. Gateways and Dells were basically the same build type, in fact the chassis were made by the same company as far as i know.. or in most cases anyway and they got pretty hot. My power pack actually gets warmer than my laptop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 875 ✭✭✭EvilGeorge

Gateway 3350 - I dont have to pay the heating bill anymore :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

got a compaq laptop last summer ( cant remember the specs ) but when i use it to watch DVD's it gets pretty hot....... but other than that there is no prob with it

• Advertisement

Originally posted by EvilGeorge
    Gateway 3350 - I dont have to pay the heating bill anymore :)

Take it with you camping and you wont need a camp fire.. in fact you could use it as a grill or even do a toasted cheese sandwich by closing the lid on the thing.. messy but warm enough and you will have little keyboard imprints on your toast!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

Most laptops such as Dells put quietness above coolness. :) Inspiron 8100s, for example, by default don't switch on the fans till the cpu temp gets to 75*C, which is very rare meaning there is no noise but at the expense of a hot laptop. I usually get fangui to switch on the fans at 60*C, which isn't that often, only when playing UT, flightsim, or watching a DVD, and it keeps the components inside at a much healthier temperature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭marauder

IBMT21- you could fry an egg on the fu(ker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Dell Latitude cpt , can burn you if ye are watch'n vcd or compiling alot of software...........must try cooking on it........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by Saruman
    Wonder if this heats up?
    http://www.overclockersclub.com/gallery/cases/album01/abs.jpg

bloody lovely .... just lovely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Jabbathegut

I'm running the new dell 8200, p4 1.7, gayforce 4, 512Mb DDR and 16x CDR, the cooling fans run most of the time, its a little noisy but dissipates the heat very well, keyboard hardly gets warm, even when running 3d apps or smokin cd's...very impressive

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Sorry to Dig up an old thread but my laptop is overheating. So much so that it cracked the glass of my coffee table. Now fair enough it was probably my own fault at the time as i had it on my lap. So ever since iv been keeping an eye on it and even left on a flat surface it runs very hot to the extent where i can feel it on the top side. I have tried takeing the battery out whilst it is plugged in which alleviates it somewhat but its still quite bad.

I bought it almost a year ago now its a HP Pavillion dv5.

How can i minimalise this? I have PC coverplan from pc world but after reading some horror stories about it id rather not hand my laptop over and see it gone for over 4 to 6 weeks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,932 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Whats the Graphics Card.

Overheal wrote: »

Whats the Graphics Card.

Ummmm I don't know! Sorry I'm really not very tech savvy atall! Where will it tell me? so I can tell you?

go to start and run Device Manager it will be under the Display category.

Sorry I'm really bad at this! Theres alot under device manager!

Processor: AMD Turion(tm) X2 Dual-Core Mobile RM-72 2.10 GHz
    Memory (RAM) 3.00 GB
    32-bit Operating system

Display Adapters - ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3450

(No idea if thats what your on about!???)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭thehomeofDob

HP's are notorious for having bad ventilation. Most likely cause is dirt has clogged the heatsink/fans. They're a pain in the arse to take apart and clean out though which further magnifies the problem.

Have you checked to see if the fan is running at all when hot?

Easiest way to remedy the situation is to use some compressed air and a vacuum to suck the dirt out of it. Tape up the fan outlets and just suck the dust/dirt from the main vent right underneath the fan.

It's not the best and you'd wanna make sure the laptop is off at the time, but bar disassembly it's the best thing to do.

Christ didnt know that about HPs.

I had a toshiba before this for three years and she was perfect, died of a virus and old age. Well i can hear the fans working so they must be doing something. Where can i get screwdrivers small enough to open those tiny screws? Also where can i get compressed air to clean it out?

Sickened coz i spent a small frikking fortune on this laptop. :mad:

You don't wanna open it up. Come to think of it, is it under warranty? If it is it would be covered under a warranty repair. Just tell them it's shutting down because it gets so hot. HP will sort it.

You'll pick up compressed air in Maplins, I find they do the best stuff. PC World sells it but it doesn't have the same pressure as the stuff in maplins. You'll pay about 14 quid a pop but it'll do a few clean ups.

If you were local I'd sort you out, but can't travel across the country unfortunately.

• Advertisement

You don't wanna open it up. Come to think of it, is it under warranty? If it is it would be covered under a warranty repair. Just tell them it's shutting down because it gets so hot. HP will sort it.

You'll pick up compressed air in Maplins, I find they do the best stuff. PC World sells it but it doesn't have the same pressure as the stuff in maplins. You'll pay about 14 quid a pop but it'll do a few clean ups.

If you were local I'd sort you out, but can't travel across the country unfortunately.

yeah shes still under warranty for a few more weeks so if i bring it into pc world and its still covered by HP what will happen? do HP sort it or coverplan?

Thanks so much for the sentiment anwyay! its much appreciated! Im just concerned because i know its really not supposed to be so hot that you cant practically touch the base! Also cracking glass isnt a good sign either!

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭mac500

I think my laptop has died :(

The last week or so my laptop seemed to be getting very hot and the fan stayed on 90% of the time at high power it sounded like.

it shut down on me twice and today it shut down again, but it wont open up windows anymore a blue screen error comes up all the time now saying

a problen has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

if this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. if this screen appears again, follow these steps:

disable or uninstall any anti-virus, disk defragmentation or backup utilities. check your hard drive configuration, and check for any updated drivers. run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption and then restart your computer.

Technical information:
    *** stop: 0x00000024 (0x00190203,0x8552c380,0xc0000102,0x00000000)

it wont let me do anything to follow those steps.

PLEASE can anyone help

is my saved stuff salvagable?? i wouldnt be too upset if i had to get a new laptop if my saved stuff can be recovered as i do not have it all fully backed up.

Thanks in advance

HP's are notorious for having bad ventilation. Most likely cause is dirt has clogged the heatsink/fans. They're a pain in the arse to take apart and clean out though which further magnifies the problem.

Have you checked to see if the fan is running at all when hot?

Easiest way to remedy the situation is to use some compressed air and a vacuum to suck the dirt out of it. Tape up the fan outlets and just suck the dust/dirt from the main vent right underneath the fan.

It's not the best and you'd wanna make sure the laptop is off at the time, but bar disassembly it's the best thing to do.
    The biggest and dumbest problem with the Pavillions (if not the entire product line) is that HP didnt account for it well at all: There is no way short of taking apart the motherboard to get into the CPU/Heatsink area to properly clear out the dust. Other vendors have copped on that a removable panel at the CPU is Super-Easy

yeah shes still under warranty for a few more weeks so if i bring it into pc world and its still covered by HP what will happen? do HP sort it or coverplan?

Thanks so much for the sentiment anwyay! its much appreciated! Im just concerned because i know its really not supposed to be so hot that you cant practically touch the base! Also cracking glass isnt a good sign either!

Ah you'll be fine then. Ring up their TechGuys - tell them the laptop is constantly shutting down due to it overheating. They should pick it up and sort it out. Dunno how long it would take, but make sure you back up your important data as they like to reformat systems for no reason sometimes.
    mac500 wrote: »
    I think my laptop has died :(.....

....is my saved stuff salvagable?? i wouldnt be too upset if i had to get a new laptop if my saved stuff can be recovered as i do not have it all fully backed up.

Thanks in advance

Quite possibly is dead. Then again it could be something simple like RAM or HDD. Hopefully it's not your HDD as you'll be up a creek then.
    You can check your HDD with a number of applications to see if it has unreadable or "bad" sectors. HDD Regenerator and HDTune spring to mind. The former can be burned to a disc an run without booting into windows, the latter needs to be installed.

Do you have access to a friends laptop? and would you have access to a HDD enclosure? If so, and your HDD is okay, then your data is perfectly safe.
    The biggest and dumbest problem with the Pavillions (if not the entire product line) is that HP didnt account for it well at all: There is no way short of taking apart the motherboard to get into the CPU/Heatsink area to properly clear out the dust. Other vendors have copped on that a removable panel at the CPU is Super-Easy

It's not the fact that they didn't account for it... it's the fact that they've ignored it for so long. 4 or 5 years ago with the compaq r5000 series I think, they had the same problem. Then then all the way through the DV series, and the Compaq CQ series. Every single model is a pain in the ass to take disassemble down the heatsink and fan. Quite ridiculous for one of the biggest laptop manufacturers in the world.

The likes of Acer have got it down with a nice little cover right over the fan assembly. Toshiba and Sony are generally not so difficult, just needing to remove the entire bottom panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

elexes wrote: »
    im just wondering how hot your laptops get ??mine seems to get very hot when i leave it on for a while or even use the dvd drive . im just wondering how everyones's are running ?

Hi OP,

Some laptops run hotter than others due to different hardware setups. For example i have an Nvidia Industry standard graphics card in mine & the laptop base gets quite hot sometimes if its been running for a few hours.

My only suggestion would be to ensure the air intake fans are not being covered. I have 2 fans on the underside of my laptop and if i leave it on a bed or some surface which muffles the fans it can get VERY hot. Also try to make sure the vents at the sides/back arent being blocked. Maybe you're already aware of these tips but anyhoo.....

best of luck

EDIT - forgot to mention that the laptop can shutdown if it reaches an unsafe temperature, this happened mine when i left it onmy bed + the fans couldnt take in enough air to cool it!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Quandary wrote: »
    Hi OP,

Some laptops run hotter than others due to different hardware setups. For example i have an Nvidia Industry standard graphics card in mine & the laptop base gets quite hot sometimes if its been running for a few hours.

My only suggestion would be to ensure the air intake fans are not being covered. I have 2 fans on the underside of my laptop and if i leave it on a bed or some surface which muffles the fans it can get VERY hot. Also try to make sure the vents at the sides/back arent being blocked. Maybe you're already aware of these tips but anyhoo.....

best of luck

EDIT - forgot to mention that the laptop can shutdown if it reaches an unsafe temperature, this happened mine when i left it onmy bed + the fans couldnt take in enough air to cool it!

OP posted this 7 years ago, I'm fairly sure he's moved on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,349 ✭✭✭Quandary

my bad :D

Ah you'll be fine then. Ring up their TechGuys - tell them the laptop is constantly shutting down due to it overheating. They should pick it up and sort it out. Dunno how long it would take, but make sure you back up your important data as they like to reformat systems for no reason sometimes.

Just sent them an email from their support section on their site put in the serial no and product no and checked my warranty says im good til 31st of October end of next month! So hopefully they will get back to me ASAP.

My fault folks i searched for threads already on here about laptops overheating rather than start a new thread!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

no bother. banshee a mate of mine had the same problem and he didnt do anything about it, his laptop screen cracked eventually from extreme heat.

get it repaired before its out of warranty, my mate had to pay 200 to get the damn thing sorted!

Thanks CG i will indeed however i have pc coverplan so hopefully i would be ok anyway well i should be considering how much the stuff cost!

Just sent them an email from their support section on their site put in the serial no and product no and checked my warranty says im good til 31st of October end of next month! So hopefully they will get back to me ASAP.
    "My warranty is about to expire and im trusting an email that HP can ignore because if i go away for long enough they wont be out any money to fix my problem! Hurrray!"

Thats all I heard. Get on Chat Support. Get on phone support. Never sit on things like that.

"My warranty is about to expire and im trusting an email that HP can ignore because if i go away for long enough they wont be out any money to fix my problem! Hurrray!"

Thats all I heard. Get on Chat Support. Get on phone support. Never sit on things like that.

You underestimate me good sir! I sent the email because it was out of the normal business hours so there will now be a logged record of my first notification of the problem! So when I get on the phone tomorrow and i give my details.... oh looky! there it shall be! :pac:

You underestimate me good sir! I sent the email because it was out of the normal business hours so there will now be a logged record of my first notification of the problem! So when I get on the phone tomorrow and i give my details.... oh looky! there it shall be! :pac:

Warranty/Coverplan support for PC World should be 24 hours. 01-8781470 I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Howdy Banshee,

Did you get sorted ? If you have any problems drop me a PM with your Service Ticket Number.

Thanks,

Michael

• Advertisement

You know Cryos, I'd PM DeV or something, and get your User Tag changed: http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61085213&postcount=13 or could also set you up an Alt Account as an HP rep :)

Cryos wrote: »
    Howdy Banshee,

Did you get sorted ? If you have any problems drop me a PM with your Service Ticket Number.

Thanks,

Michael

Thanks Michael. Much Appreciated!

Oh they got back to me with a verry lonnng and detailed email on how to get compressed air and clean it out and keep it on flat surfaces-which does not help-it still over heats. Id say there were just enough things in that email for me to do to keep me busy til my warranty expired! Been looking after my godson so havent had time to ring but Its on my to do list for tomorrow!

Ok so HP actually sent out a tech guy to come collect my laptop and take it away. The day the guy called to confirm i couldnt give it to him because i had just been accepted to a masters! So need my laptop like an extra limb right now with all the college work.

Now its still over heating to a desperate point. Could they give me a replacement one i wonder if i gave them mine? I just cannot not have it right now i have so many assignments. Its also freezing up a lot and is running really slow. :( Its not even a year old! Is this normal?

Really considering scraping it and buying a Mac im so upset with it right now. Just been sitting here for the guts of 30 minutes trying to wait for it to unfreeze, did the ctl,alt,del thing and it didnt work , hit restart THREE times and it just didnt do anything. Eventually had to pull the battery out. .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

Really considering scraping it and buying a Mac im so upset with it right now. Just been sitting here for the guts of 30 minutes trying to wait for it to unfreeze, did the ctl,alt,del thing and it didnt work , hit restart THREE times and it just didnt do anything. Eventually had to pull the battery out. .

Before you scrap it, try installing Linux on it - you could use the Wubi installer:

http://wubi-installer.org/

This will give you a choice of using either Windows or Linux when you start up the machine. It depends what you need Windows for - in Linux there is a suite of office software called OpenOffice, you can save your documents as Word documents and Excel spreadsheets.

It's just a suggestion if you were deciding to scrap the laptop, I'm not sure you might want to do it as it would probably void your warranty, but Linux works very well for me and for many others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 816 ✭✭✭Cryos

Ok so HP actually sent out a tech guy to come collect my laptop and take it away. The day the guy called to confirm i couldnt give it to him because i had just been accepted to a masters! So need my laptop like an extra limb right now with all the college work.

Now its still over heating to a desperate point. Could they give me a replacement one i wonder if i gave them mine? I just cannot not have it right now i have so many assignments. Its also freezing up a lot and is running really slow. :( Its not even a year old! Is this normal?

Howdy, unfortunatly because of issue's in the past replacements are not given at present the service centers for UK/I are replacing these units pretty fast; Unfortunatly i see your predicament in this case, it may be worth trying to plead yoru case and see if anything can acctually be done.

• Advertisement

Cryos wrote: »
    Howdy, unfortunatly because of issue's in the past replacements are not given at present the service centers for UK/I are replacing these units pretty fast; Unfortunatly i see your predicament in this case, it may be worth trying to plead yoru case and see if anything can acctually be done.

Balls! Is there a service centre here in Dublin. If i knew how long they would be taking it for maybe I could handle being without it, but if its going to be one of these 6 weeks plus scenarios I cant handle that amount of time without! Orrr maybe my college might give me one for a small while! Ummm actually thats probably wishful thinking given all the pcs & macs around campus!

Advertisement