Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unable to create D3D device

• 12-06-2002 11:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I just feel I owe it to any poor ba$tards who find themselves in my situation....

One night, I was merrily playing GTA3 and CS, the next day I couldnt... simple, eh? not really...

GTA3 complained that my video card did not have 12mb of memory even though it has 64mb.....soo, off I went to dxdiag and ran a few tests...
    W2k SP2, Athlon, KG7, GeFartsII Ultra, 512ddr, SCSI HD, dx8.1, IE6.0 pack

AGP Texture compression was greyed-out disabled
    D3D was disabled and tests failing after enabling
    DirectDraw was enabled and tests passed

Funny thing was Approx Video Memory read: n/a (come again?!?!)

Off I went and hamered google for a bit...found a few exact searches...excellent....everyone was stumped on it...a few good explanations but too many format/reinstall dudes :(
    I reinstalled newer drivers, older drivers, MANUALLY deinstalled DX 8.1 from the inf filelist..(what a pain..) NO LUCK

I found one post in the corner of my eye which mentioned something about NetMeeting Desktop Sharing being enabled...

I disabled the Remote Desktop sharing in NetMeeting, options, sharing and rebooted....installed 23.42 detonators and dx81eng...

Ran dxdiag + GTAIII perfectly....

I think the issue is an overlay which Remote desktop sharing implements over your desktop layer (which can make some +256 colour icons bleed (esp. norton AV one) ) that screws DX..

Just FYi incase you are banging you head off the wall also...

James.

Advertisement