Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resources: Comic shops, webcomics, and useful links

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 joe6pax

[Edit]What did my mother say? If you don't have anything nice to say? :rolleyes: Seriously though, If you have a serious point to make feel free to post it but mindless abuse isn't on.. Sorry..

-Gambler[/edit]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭KamikazeBananze

First post. Might as well make it this one.

VG Cats-very very funny most of the time, slightly disturbing other times. If you're easily offended, many of these aren't going to be funny for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭rcaz

ctrl+alt+del One of my favourite webcomics.

h4xx0r3d My very own webcomic :D It's not up to much yet (4 comics and an extremely boring site), but I'm working on it! ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 pauloc

Web Site launch on the 29th of July, in the mean time if you would like a copy of our catalogue e-mail your address to sales@themazecomicstore.com

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 47 pauloc

Fysh wrote:
    Having spent over an hour trying to find and collate the information about the various stores I'm aware of, I give you the following list. Note that large bookstore chains like Waterstones and Eason's now have small graphic novel/comic sections so they may be worth checking out. I've not listed them because : a) they're very easy to find, and b) their selection has been, in my experience, too small and inconsistent to be worth relying on.

Dublin

Sub City
    Address : 2, Exchequer Street, Dublin 2 (opposite Central Hotel)
    Phone : 016 771902

Forbidden Planet
    Address : 5/6, Crampton Quay (between O'Connell Bridge and the Ha'penny bridge on the South side of the river)
    Phone : 016 710688
    Email : fpdublin at eircom.net

3rd Place
    Address : Crow Street, Dublin 2
    Phone : 016 336964

Crow Corner Comics
    Address : Crow Street, Dublin 2
    Phone : 01-6336964
    Email : info at irishcomicshop dot com

Cork

Other Realms
    Address : Paul Street Shopping Centre, Cork City
    Phone : 021 4222224
    Fax : 021 4279508

Vibes & Scribes
    Address : 3, Bridge Street, Cork City
    Phone : 021 4505370

Galway

Sub City
    Address : Corbett Court, Eyre Square Shopping Centre, Galway
    Phone : 091 565994

(Another note : I am fully aware that this is an incomplete list. There's a bookshop in Galway whose details I can't find that sells comics, as well as a comic shop in Dublin. If anyone has info on these, or even additional details like websites or email addresses for stores already listed, please reply and add them)

The Maze Comic Store
    Listowel,
    Co. Kerry.
    068 23778
    http://www.themazecomicstore.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

i may have missed it but i dont think anyone posted

www.peanuts.com

i amk shocked/appaled.. :D

peanuts is genius!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Limerick

The Gathering
    Gerald Griffith St,
    00353 61 315133

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

www.asofterworld.com

Can be wonderfully bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Zoton

http://www.getyourcomics.com/

Found this site recently but haven't used them yet so can't report whether they're good or bad. Prices seem pretty decent, and delivery is free in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 nekothekitty

Does anyone have any links for art resources and tutorials? How to draw hands, how to colour stuff on the PC, stuff like that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Not sure how many people will be interested in this, but I've set up a LiveJournal community for Irish Comics in conjunction with Pádraig Ó Méalóid of Irish Sci-Fi News.

Not too sure what we'll be doing with it just yet, but keep an eye on it if you're an LJ user. There's a comprehensive list of Irish webcomics in the profile page.

(Since I'm posting, I might as well add that the Irish Comic Challenge now has a proper URL of www.irishcomicchallenge.com)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 TheBatman

Found a free online database thingy which I found to be useful.

www.comicbookdb.com

Covers, Descriptions, Reviews. Not to mention the fact that if you register, they allow you to catalogue/view your own collection with them. Which then allows you to view you cover gallery an access reports on the data you entered. Its all free at the moment and the site just passed its first birthday (Which is irrelevant but whatever). Worth a look if you like that type of thing... Which I obviously am given that you'd think I owned the site. But I dont. Just have alot of free time in work.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

desprictions are very short...but still good for a complete dataase project

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

This may be of interest for artists and also for people looking for artists:

Irish Comic Artists blog.

Declan Shalvey and Will Sliney both throw their work up there, and it's impressive to behold...

Dresden Codak

From what I've read so far, one of the best (if not the best) webcomics I've ever seen. Fantastic writing and artwork, and both are hugely diverse.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Fysh wrote:
    Dresden Codak

From what I've read so far, one of the best (if not the best) webcomics I've ever seen. Fantastic writing and artwork, and both are hugely diverse.

Oooooooohhhh...physics-y! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

BopNiblets wrote:
    I can't believe I didn't see this linked...

Dr. McNinja! :D

eh? What are you taking about? I've pimped my boy Chris in several different posts on this board.....most recently in the web cartoonist choice thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I'm talking about not seeing it linked in this stickied thread!
    Can't read every post on boards.

Check this out, one of the panels I coloured. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 imachinecomics

THE WIND begins, free online comic Please visit our book of guests and enjoy THE WIND, in www.imachinecomics.com
    demo2.jpg

• Advertisement

My friend just forwarded me this webcomic, Khaos Komic. Its really nice comic but be warned if you have issues with yaoi/gay themes in any way don't click - and if you are homophoic and do click that link, read it, then come back here and make some stupid ass comment i will have to hurt you :D .

What i really liked about this comic is that you can download the old strip the artist did and compare them to the current comic and its really great to see the progression they made art and storytelling wise.

"the angst of being a teen the thrill of being a boat" it's teen boat

A new issue of teen boat is debuting at MoCCA and to celebrate the first 3 issues are being put up over at webcomicsnation. This book won the best debut ignazt award at SPX 3 years ago.

and for those who haven't yet seen it civil war redubbed

Nobody Scores!

Found this through the guy who does Dresden Codak.

Also, does anyone know what happened to I Am A Rocket Builder? I know it was supposed to go on hiatus or something but I remember reading the whole archive in one go a while ago and really liking it, but now when I check the site there's no sign of the archive now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 rudie-

my favorite daily strip is savage chickens, mega comic than never fails to amuse http://www.savagechickens.com/blog/index.html

i make sure to check it every day
    modern classic...

Not sure if this has been linked here but fontifier offers to make font of your handwritting for $9 - given that the industry standard fonts from comic craft cost between $50 and $1000 thats a pretty nice deal - unless like me you have awful hand lettering

My friend Alec has a little write up on it over on his blog

cover_1_persimmon_horiz.jpg
    Man, I love everything on ACT-I-VATE but I esp adore this comic.

Saw some work from these guys at MoCCA - very cool work check their site for free comics! Transmission X

Bunch of people always asking about computer colouring demos and the artist of Khaos komic has posted a nice video showing the digital colouring of a page - its a little fast if your trying to see every button they push but still a very good demo.

Update: another video by the same artists - tiny bit slower - nice examples of inking with flash

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

What are the best sites to buy from? - Sorry if they've already been posted but most of the previous posts seem to be for online comics rather than stores.

Cheers
    SP

• Advertisement

sprinkles wrote:
    What are the best sites to buy from? - Sorry if they've already been posted but most of the previous posts seem to be for online comics rather than stores.

Cheers
    SP

Yeah this thread is mainly rec'ing web comics, this one covers print comics, thou its just reveiws/comments on them. There has been a couple of posts on here regarding buying online but for the life of me i can't remember where they are.

Are you looking for back issues, monthly floppies, graphic novels, licensed manga [ie manga in english], or non-licensed manga [ie not translated into english]? I'd rec different sites for each.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement