Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Resources: Comic shops, webcomics, and useful links

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Dean Trippe has posted a nice breakdown [pencils/inks/colours] on his LJ.

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

For anyone who likes xkcd, theres another awesomely geeky webcomic:
    http://www.decorumcomics.com/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Nagle

Sorry for the blatent self advertisement but I've just set up a new webcomic at www.stupidrobot.net.
    There's only two strips up so far, with a third coming soon, the sites a work in progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭reitoei

http://www.mrdundalk.com

The esoteric humour of Mr. Dundalk is back, with a newly overhauled site.

Over at first second books they've post a really great how to guide by cartoonist Brian Ralph - its really funny and you’ll also find some good tips on negative space, body shape, and posture.

• Advertisement

The amazing Dean Trippe has put the first 34 pages of his webcomic butterfly up for free download at WOWIO

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Wowio greatly upsets me, it's a great system which I can't use because I'm not in the US. :( (I particularly wanted to get my hands on the Lullaby comics up there, I picked up a couple of them when Alias were still solvent and the artwork by Hector Sevilla really appealed to me...)

Fysh wrote: »
    Wowio greatly upsets me, it's a great system which I can't use because I'm not in the US. :( (I particularly wanted to get my hands on the Lullaby comics up there, I picked up a couple of them when Alias were still solvent and the artwork by Hector Sevilla really appealed to me...)

opps sorry bout that fysh - I set up my WOWIO account when I was in the states and I actually hadn't got round to downloading butterfly yet so forgot about the whole geography issue.

just started reading this webcomic - the jackass and the jew

I'm sure alot of people know but for those who don't - A4 Art [beside NCAD on Thomas st] are stocking the deleter, maru-pen, G-pen and nekio pen nibs, nib holders and ink. These are by far and away the best nibs out there for inking comics.

They also have a huge selection of the Neopiko markers which have really tight and flexible brush pen tips.

The inks have numbers that mean different things - off the top of my head the main ones I remember are 1 is good for fine lines, 2 is permanent Ink can not be removed with an eraser and 3 is waterproof with a matt finish so good if your thinking doing grey tone washes over the inks. They also have white out which is good for highlights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Hoovers

If anyone has some spare time, please pop over to www.mindpuss.com, which hosts a collection of my comics and other misc. nonsense!!

Kind regards,

Ronan:D

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Uncle Spunk

Love your work Ronan, has a wonderful dream like quality

Woohoo less then 24 hours to go...anyone else excited?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 lucass

looks great... huh, maybe I'm not a fan of anime and manga , prefere Milo Manara, but I like this typ of inking, wait for more... sorry for my poor english :P I'm not Irish :P

I next few days/weeks depends of free time ( i have newborn baby now so... day is realy short) I try show few pages in pencil of project I would like start...

first will be based on a famouste polish story about the soldiers in II World War, next will be from my own script... about little boy and his strange friend, and last ... that will be suprise for my irish friends :P they like superheroes :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

re: Mindpuss.com - Ronan, it's weird but I find myself looking forward to your comics more than some stuff that I hand over money for at my local comic shop. Great stuff, all of it. WE DEMAND MORE!

re: FreakAngels - been looking forward to it for a while, and I'm curious to see how it does. It might even do something useful in the context of creators from the print comic worlds finally getting somewhere with webcomics, given the failure of both Marvel & DC to do anything significant in the digital arena.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Killgore Trout

Ronan, your comics make me feel stoned. and make me want to draw :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Hoovers

Thanks for the kind words. Much appreciated. Should have a load of new stuff up over the next few weeks. :)

So what did everyone make of the first six pages of FreakAngels? Quite liked it myself, impressed at the overall visual quality considering it's effectively a daily webcomic. We'll see how it goes though, it's not like there haven't been a few Ellis projects to fall into hiatus-land over the last couple of years...

Fysh wrote: »
    So what did everyone make of the first six pages of FreakAngels? Quite liked it myself, impressed at the overall visual quality considering it's effectively a daily webcomic. We'll see how it goes though, it's not like there haven't been a few Ellis projects to fall into hiatus-land over the last couple of years...

Hard to make a comment on the story with only 6 pages but theres enough to make me want to read more. Artwise its nice thou reminds alot of Josh middletons art style esp with the hair and colouring.

Someone has posted some scans from Carla Speed McNeil's Finder over at Scans daily. This is a really great comic from a very talented artists - worth having a look see if you've never seen her work. You can buy the trades of Finder via McNeil's website and newer parts of the series are available on the site to read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 irishbeanies

:) Hi All,
    Please tell all you friends that I have opened a backissue comic shop in Blackrock Market, Superhero, been messing around for a while there and moved in a bigger unit in Jan 07 and have been fixing it up for the last couple of months.

Still need a lot of work, but what I do have is a great selection of backissues at great prices, lots of Science Fiction and Fantasy books, old annuals, DF issues, Signed issues, CGC issues etc.

Tell you friends, drop in and tell me that you heard about Superhero on Boards.ie and I will give you a 20% discount on your first purchase.
    Cheers, Happy Easter,
    Jimmy

Unit 55 - opposite the Spice Bazaar.
    Blackrock Market
    Main Street, Blackrock
    Open Thursday to Sunday and Bankholidays - 11.30am till 5.30pm.
    Contact me for anything - superheroshop@hotmail.com

P.S. Just got in a collection of Star Trek - old Dell and some great annuals - get them quick, they wont be there for long.

P.S. Also looking for someone to paint the front of the shop in a superhero motif or similar, open to idea, not much money but can come to some arrangement! Whats new there, but it would be a great canvas for someone to show their skills, if interested mail me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

I'm hoping to get out to Blackrock market this weekend to have a look!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭alnolan

I was in the Blackrock Market shop last week, and was impressed -- they have some interesting stock, espec old annuals/toys etc. And I loved the BVM statues. Well worth a look, if you're in the vicinity!

http://sanchocomic.blogspot.com/
    http://www.20000-leagues.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

(first of all, to the mods: I know not to post commercial threads, but this is something that I get absolutely no personal gain from. If you think it's inappropriate, feel free to close it. Thanks.)

Hi there.
    I'm Bruno, and some folks here might know me as "that Portuguese guy from the Third Place, on Crow Street".
    I'm currently working in Chapters, Ireland's largest independent bookstore, in Parnell Street:
    chapters.png
    (It's that red dot in the map. Yes, it is bigger in real life)

I've recently been put in charge of the Graphic Novels and Manga section.
    And there's interest from the upper echelons on expanding those sections, and getting more, diversified new stock in.

<snip>

You'll find me there most days, so at least drop in to say hi.
    And, you know, buy stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,638 ✭✭✭bombidol

Ba ba ba Brunnnnnoooo. I always like Chapters for the rooting around aspect of comic hunting. Got a lot of stuff in there over the years. Will drop in and pick some more stuff up soon mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭MarkHall

Cheers for the heads up. Hope you can expand the section. It deserves more loving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 thebaddy

Cool. The Chapters comics is pretty decent, nice selection of Johnathon Cape, Fantagraphics and D&Q stuff. Good to see you're gonna expand as the once-nice section in Waterstones, Dawson Street is gone to complete sh*t in the last couple of months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭alnolan

Yes, much kudos to Chapters, went in a couple of weeks ago and got stuck in the GN section. Good to see you're top dog, Bruno!

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Quite like the comics n' manga section there meself, recently bought a hard-to-find alt-manga/BD called Japan in there for 20-something squid. Dying to pick up that Batman : Black & White volume for a tenner too. Oh, that and Tezuka's MW manga that's been a tempting 20 yoyos every time I went in there.
    If I could suggest something, is there any chance of getting more stuff from the UK manga publisher Fanfare in, Bruno?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Bruno Batista

Any title in particular?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement