Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NUI Galway

• 12-06-2002 3:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭

being mad and changed my CAO to go to Galway to do what looks like a great course

BSc Programme in Financial Mathematics and Economics

anyone done it? know anyone that has done it?

Whats the college like in general? Is campus res any good or whats the story there at all?

<< Fio >>

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Tis god enough, decent Bar, youngest student body in Ireland apparently.
    Plenty of Clubs and Societies.
    Good facilities, all fairly central unlike some other colleges where it's spread out over half the city..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭bugler

The "on-campus" accomadation is Corrib Village. It's not a bad place, but there are drawbacks. One is the security, who ask you for your ID card after 9 o'clock or so. It can be a pain in the ring if you have friends down etc. You are also subject to housing inspections, where your apartment if inspected for cleanliness and damage etc. You don't have to keep it spotless by any means, but last year we kept getting warnings about it, then again we are filthy men. By far the best thing about Corrib Village is meeting people. I knew no-one going to college in Galway, and I was thrown in with 4 random rooom-mates. 3 of those I lived again with this year gone by, and I'll live with another two of them next year. They were also responsible for me meeting probably another 4 people who I'd consider my best mates up there. It worked out excellently for me, so I'd recommend it on that strength alone, but I suppose it could go the other way, and you get lumped with dicheads. Tis the luck of the draw. Also, it is quite expensive, though you do have the (dis)advantage of paying it all upfront, and won't be tempted to drink the rent money, or the heat money etc..

http://www.corribvillage.com/

< It is not in the heart of galway. It is not 10 minutes to eyre square, unless you like to sprint for long distances. There, now I hope that's what you were asking when you said campus 'res' :)

Oh btw, if you do end up there, insist you are not housed in apartment 23.

Edit: that link is currently focused on summer rental. Poke around this one:

http://homepage.tinet.ie/~gussy/visiting_students/corrib.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Galway is a great place to go to college. I just finished 4 years of undergrad eng study there and its cool.

The campus accomodation is a bit dear in my opinion. There are two places:

The Corrib Village - http://www.corribvillage.com/

This is the older one and is nearer to the college.
    No net access and of course the security. (I remember a friend being asked by a taxi man if I wanted to get into the boot to sneak past security when he dropped someone back ;)

&

Dún Áras - http://www.dunaras.ie/

Newer (just opened last year) and includes reasonably fast internet access for the year.

The drawback is that its much further off campus (nearly 20 mins walk). Personally I'd go for it because I'd want the net access.

Both places aren't cheap. I know that Dún Áras worked out to be £55 (yes £) sharing ind £70 single per week. Nice place tho.

Personally I'd find a house where you'd get a single room for €50 approx and you'd have extra money for social activities. Just make sure you get looking early. It may not be Dublin but he who comes late misses the best places.

The campus is decent enough. It isn't the most modern but most colleges aren't but its kept in decent nick. Computers open from 8 am to 10.30 pm but they can get very busy during the day. Campus resturant (Campbell catering) ain't great (although it has improved a bit) and I avoid eating there. Plenty of places to get rolls/sandwiches/food around and the college bar does lovely dinners.

Only 10 minute walk to the centre of town and all the external parts of the campus are well within 10 minutes (Including St. Anthonys - Home of the Commerce Dept. although 1st years will spend v. little time afaik).

The bar is OK. It went to sh1te for a while but its gradually improving. Its great in the daytime for coffee ;) (/me has never drank coffee in there ... pints) with friends and is a good meeting place.

The most improtant thing I'll say is this. Make sure you make it to Clubs and Socs day during Freshers Week (generally the week after you enrol). The Clubs and Socs are great in NUIG and cater for everyone. Joining them is the best way tomeet new friends. I'll probably (all going well) be on the Compsoc stand in Sept so make sure you join Theres loads of other groups there eager to impress and get new members.

Theres also a new student accomodation place that will be opening for the new college year.

It has connection to the college LAN and none of Corrib VIllagfes security morons. I dunno much about it but its definitely worth a look and might not fill up as quickly (good for anyone trying to get in) due to its being newer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Hmmm.... booking Corrib Village this evening i think...

It says it had net access in the little book thing - but even if it does i'm not going for it - i'd spend *way* toooo much money that i dont have (as of yet)

I hope i get there now!

<< Fio >>

• Advertisement

Maybe they've netowked it recently but its news to me. If I were you I'd ring them and ask about the internet connection to be 10% sure its there.

Or more specifically that it will be there in September!

Advertisement