Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Possible problem with UK FTV Setup

• 12-06-2002 4:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭

Folks - I have a UK decoder with a FTV card I bought from the UK. On occasions when I go to tv listings a dialogue comes up saying searching for listings - This takes ages to some back with the TV listings and sometimes I have to turn off/on my decoder. Also sometimes I can't view BBC/ITV ect so I have to re-insert the card which fixes the problem. I have an irish subscription also - this decoder changes channels/changes menus mcuh faster.

might I have a problem with the decoder ?? Or is this normal. My Irish subscription never does this ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

The speed of the menus depends on the processor in the digibox. The chances are that you have an old slow UK digibox and a reasonably fast irish one.

If the "Searching for listings" comes up often then you probably do have a faulty decoder. If it doesn't happen often then you are most likely ok. The BBC/ITV problem is a bit strange. Do Channel 4 and Channel 5 work all of the time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭daveg

ShaneOC thanks for the reply.
    If the "Searching for listings" comes up often then you probably do have a faulty decoder. If it doesn't happen often then you are most likely ok. The BBC/ITV problem is a bit strange. Do Channel 4 and Channel 5 work all of the time?

Yes - it happens to all the channels. Sometimes when the channels come back the information screen doesn't show what channel your viewing ?? 90% of the time the decoder works ok.

What type of decoder is it?

I have seen the problem of the Channel name before but only once in almost two years. It happened on a Grundig digibox. As you have said a reboot appears to fix it.

You might try a software update.

Take the card out of the digibox. Unplug it from the mains for about a minute, hold the backup button on the front of the digibox (not the remote) and plug the digibox back in while still holding in the button. After a few seconds all of the lights on the digibox should light up. You can let the button out at this stage. If the digibox is connected via a scart lead you will see a message on screen saying that the software download is in progress. It takes about 10mins. Do not unplug the digibox while the download is in progress. When it's finished the box will go into standby mode. Put the Sky card back in and off you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Funky Phantom

I noticed this happening on my new PACE FTV (Jan 2002) box if it was unplugged or the dish input was disconnected for any length of time.

I started off manually connecting/ unconnecting the dish cable, moved to powered switch box and finally a quad lnb, so problem solved.

could this be your problem??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

The older 2200 Pace boxes suffer from slower processor speed and less RAM than the newer 2500 Pace boxes.

• Advertisement

Folks - Thank for your help so far. The decoder is panasonic - I'll check the model number tonight. ShaneOC I'll also try the software download tonight - I presume I need the phone line connected to do this ??? Can you let me know.

Funky Phantom - Not quite sure how you fixed the problem - My dish has a quad Lnb.

I've noticed as well that the decoder can be REALLY slow when scrolling through the channel listings (from 1 page to another). :confused:

Panasonics are meant to be fast.

You do not need the phone line connected as the software comes from the satellite.

Folks - make and model is Panasonic DSB-20.

ShaneOC - No chance of me f8ucking up the decoder when doing the software download ??????

Hi Dave,

No, you will not **** up the decoder. Just follow the instructions. It might not work but you have nothing to loose by trying. Many people on these boards have performed software downloads so don't worry. I did one for a friend of mine last week with no problems (unfortunately didn't fix the problem he had).

Thanks for the help on this ShaneOC and for help on other problems I've posted before. Will let you know if the dload fixes the problem.

• Advertisement

No problem Dave. Good luck.

Advertisement