Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dual CPU on win2000 pro

• 08-08-2001 2:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭

I have a dual board with a pIII 450 at the mo. 412 mb ram, win 2000 pro.

I am looking around for another pIII 450 to stick in with it. Mainly because programs like Jbuilder, a java application, runs slowly. Will another cpu actually help. I assume that windows just shares out the processing itself and that the specific program does not need to be smp designed ?

Anyone use 2 cpus ? Will i notice a difference. From around the place i see that i should get around a 40% improvement. Is this accurate ? Also heard that 80% is possible under linux..

Gav

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭SickBoy

There will be a slight improvement but the application won't really benefit totally from the second cpu unless it is multithreaded. What will be beneficial is that you will get 1 cpu 100% dedicated to the program and all the other services and apps that are open will run on the other cpu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Not sure Verb. I've read that Win2k was designed with support for up to 4 CPU's or maybe 8, so I'd assume that windows would love another processor thrown in. We all know Microsoft's track record for using up CPU time though..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Yep dual processor goodness is good for your sanity if you do a lot of Dev work. I'm sitting on a Dual PIII 450 with 512 RAM. What happens is really up to the App if it is designed for multi processers it will use them at the same time (eg MS SQL Server). But for things like Jbuilder and VS6 what you will find is that while your compliling projects in your IDE of choise your PC wont hang cause for example VB will take over one processer and windows and other apps run off against the other cpu. Since I've moved to dual I hate running on a single processer for work. It does greatly improve your performance but to what degree I have no figures. I say go for it PIII's are dirt cheap atm. But if you really want to have multiple processers grab a copy of Win 2K Data Center Ed. and a Unisys 64 cpu box with which you can bring online and take off line cpus as you want smile.gif

kayos
    When you get to hell tell them I sent you,
    you'll get a group discount...

tribes.gameshop.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭lphchild

I had major hassles trying to find matching 450 for my setup...gave up.. frown.gif - they're expensive enuff for 'power V's price' as far as i could work out..

lph

The only things that have to match are the FSB/MHz/Cache size I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Whilst on the topic.. what about a PIII Xeon.. ? What's the deal with these, are they slot 1 ? will it run with a standard pIII ?

Gav

Forget about Xeons. They're way too expensive and are not conpatible with the slot 1 interface. I might be able to help you with the P3 450. Talk to me on IRC tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

P3 Xeons are Slot2. I have one 866mhz/256k cache/133fsb one on a dual CPU board - Haven't been able to find a second one anywhere.

Advertisement