Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who do you think is the better rhythm guitarist?

Options
  • 12-06-2002 6:26pm
    Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭

James Hetfield or Jon Schaffer?

Now this is not a popularity contest. This is opinions on who you think is the better rhythm guitarist. You must give reasons for your choice.

OK... now you may vote! :D

Who is the better rhythm guitarist? 17 votes

James Hetfield
    0% 0 votes
    Jon Schaffer
    88% 15 votes
    I am not familiar with James Hetfield\'s/Jon Schaffer\'s music, therefore I don\'t know...
    11% 2 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

James Hatfield without a doubt.......

The entire "Black Album" should be proof of that:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Definetly Schaffer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

ummm rhythm guitarists are CRAP!
    you have to have 2 leads otherwise,well just look at metallica now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭SYL

Who is Jon Schaffer???? I don't know him, so I guess I'll go with the big Het'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭beaver

ummm rhythm guitarists are CRAP!

What a lot of shít.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Two lead guitarists, Jesus thats been the downfall of many a band. Lead on its own or rhythm and lead combo. Slash and Izzy being prime examples of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Two lead guitarists and no rhythm is disasterous....

You end up having 2 guitars battling for domance....

Just dosen't work

Sorry mate:)

Decos' damn right, For example, with Slash on lead and Izzy on rhythm, GNR worked like a charm. and the two became best mates. Now look at GNR. Robin Finck and Bucket battling it out for the top spot, and they both hate each other.

then i urge you to listen to Martyr's "Warp Zone"
    methings they pull it off amazingly :) they have some amazing solos

Are they both lead guitarists or do they just do solos together in 4ths or 5ths sometimes, or are they both riffing at the same time constantly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Um, listen to Freebird by Lynard Skynard. Theres a few guitarists in there capable of playing lead, but if everyone plays lead at the same time, thats just silly now isnt it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Originally posted by SYL

Jon's the main guy behind Iced Earth.

As for the whole lead/rythem arguement?
    Personally, I prefer the whole Iron Maiden/Cradle of Filth style harmonies.

Are they both lead guitarists or do they just do solos together in 4ths or 5ths sometimes, or are they both riffing at the same time constantly.

they mostly do solos' in parts,each taking over from the other..both have very distinct styles..otherwise they they let the bASS player do the work :)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by SYL
    He is the rhythm guitarist for Iced Earth. And your vote doesn't count because you should have used the third choice vote. You did say you didn't know Jon Schaffers work right? Well then you cant contrast them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

NO RHYTHM GUITAR!?!? Foolish child, go from this place unto the cold wastes of Siberia and there flagellate thyself until all colours become one and the purity of the rhythm guitar is clear to thee.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Originally posted by deco
    James Hatfield without a doubt.......

The entire "Black Album" should be proof of that:)
    Have you heard "Something Wicked This Way Comes..." or "Horror Show"? Personally they are the reasons why I think Schaffer is better. They are quite similar, which is why I made this thread. I think Schaffer just shades it. Some of the riffs and songs he writes by himself are just amazing. For example Damien... which I think would whip any Metallica song around the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Originally posted by Giblet
    Decos' damn right, For example, with Slash on lead and Izzy on rhythm, GNR worked like a charm. and the two became best mates. Now look at GNR. Robin Finck and Bucket battling it out for the top spot, and they both hate each other.

I kinda think that 1 Lead and 2 rhythm guitarists can work pretty well. You know, rhthym for Left and Right and Then Lead in the middle in terms of stereo sound etc. Thats what usually happens in recording. They both play rhythm and then record the Lead over it again.

That's what I thought the whole 3 guitarist thing was about in the new GNR

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Fenix

Mick-e O'Donnell ffs, way better than those 2 put together

Advertisement