Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greatest Irish team "era"?

• 12-06-2002 6:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

Well wadda ya think? Is this bunch of lads the best Ireland team ever or would you vote for Jack Charltons 1990 side? Or perhaps you can think of another? In this poll I'm not talking about "results" or "progress". I'm mainly just wondering you think (luck or otherwise) was the best Irish team of all time?

Greatest Irish team "era"? 16 votes

Ireland 1949 (Beat England 2-0 at Wembley to become the first \"foriegn\" side to beat them at home)
    0% 0 votes
    Ireland 1965 (missed world cup 66only after losing a play-off to Spain 1-0)
    6% 1 vote
    Ireland 1981 (Missed out on world cup 82 due to a single goal by Belgium that should have been dissalowed)
    0% 0 votes
    Ireland 1988 (Came within 10 minutes of the Euro 88 semi finals)
    6% 1 vote
    Ireland 1990 (reached quarted finals of the World cup)
    6% 1 vote
    Ireland 1991 (Became first Irish side to complete a qualifying group undefeated)
    56% 9 votes
    Ireland 1994 (reached last 16 of world cup)
    0% 0 votes
    Ireland 2002 (who knows how far yet?)
    0% 0 votes
    an other perhaps?
    25% 4 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

cant really argue with the stats. According to the history books the 90 squad was the most successful.

Having said that, the team that just missed the WC was bloody good, probably slightly more talented seeing as it featured Chippy brady.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

hass to be charltons lads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

I said the 81 team and it was us who had the legit goal disallowed against Belgium. France benefited from that decision and went on to nearly win the whole thing. Should have been us!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

I sad this years team.

It's hard to realise greatness when you are living in it, but I really feel that this time is the best in my era anyway.

I'm alive since 81, but have no recollection of chippy and the boys, however have lived with the lads in Stuggart in 88, Genoa and Rome in 90 and of course the Giants stadium in 94. But all of these teams come short, in my opinion, of the current bunch.

When they started out on their journey to Japan and Korea in the Netherlands, I held absolutely no hope of them qualifying. I felt they would struggle scoring goals as many of the teams, including the forementioned, have. Then up popped Robbie and Jason with a pair of beauties and I felt, wow!! Hold on a minute here. This team might actually have something. Fairy nuff, they lost a two goal lead, which essentially would have put us through ( all other things being equal ) without the tense game in Iran.

But at the back of my head there was this feeling through the qualifiers that this team is built around one Roy Keane a player good enough to grace _Any_ of the best teams in the world. And without him we're nothing. Well I'm delighted, and happy as larry to say that I was completely wrong. If anything, Roy undoubtably my favourite Irish player for many a year, would have made a big big impact in mid-field. However, this team is most definitely up there with the best in the world currently. Sure it doesn't have a Ronaldo or a Maldini or a Raul for that matter, but what we do have is a team that have no fear of _any_ team in the world at the moment.

Bottom line - thumbs up for this years lads :)

Advertisement