Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD Partition Dual Boot

• 08-08-2001 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Anyone know where I can download PQ Magic T? Or a freeware non destructive HD partition program for Dos or Win 98? Preferably one you've used to successfully install windows and linux on the same disk.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Scorpion

F.r.e.e.w.a.r.e

The 700k Dos version doesn't exist on that site. If it does then I can't find it. There was a link to it in a tutorial on linux.ie but it's now dead..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 nucular

theres a program called fips.exe which you will find with most linux distros or here

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distributions/ultrapenguin/sparc/dosutils/fips20/

also there is a program called ranish partition manager (part.exe) which can be found here

http://www.pcplus.co.uk/article.asp?id=26657&cat=DOWNL

both of these tools require a certain amount of practice and knowledge. also if you trawl the web you will find the free version of partition magic which is no longer available..

I recommend fips.. just read the docs first. create a boot disk defrag your hard drive and back up your data if possible. Also disable any antivirus software such as norton as they can give you misleading information as these programs alter the boot sector.

and while defragging on Win98 make sure to unclick the option for "rearrange my programs so they run faster" as this doesn't squash the files to one end of the hard disk, instead it moves stuff to the end of the disk aswell.

good luck with the partitioning but take your time as it is better than losing all of your data and spending even longer trying to fix it.

hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Scorpion

cheers

Advertisement