Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ISDN Adapters

Options
  • 13-06-2002 2:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭

I am curious, i have an Eicon T/A Modem(external of course).

My pings are rather unstable playing games compared to many other people i see on isdn, it shoots from 40-120.....

I knew how to tweak my 56k modem out, but i have no idea for this as to what will improve/make it more stable, anyone know good settings for gaming? i.e software/Hardware, header compression all that lark and also COMS settings.

Does anyone know of any decent tweaks within the software provided by Eicon?

Would i be better off grabbing an internal PCI card, could it improve my ping or make it more stable(i can pick on eup nice and cheap)?

I also have a Lasat USB apapter , that any use?

Another annoyance is the fact that i cant get more than 10-12 k a sec due to the COM port speed

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out(so many Questions sorry :)).

Samba

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

your ping shoots from 40-120..... Thats quite normal for isdn. Not enough bandwidth to keep it stable when there's a lot going on around you. I've seen my ping in the low 20's and I've also seen it at 250 when there's a good few things happening.

The Asus internal TA is the best, in my opionion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

This even happens on while dual is running,

ive played in cafes running on dual isdn and the pings never jumped over 70 and hovered at 50....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

tbh,

it sounds like your flooding your connect with the wrong settings for single 64k isdn. What game?

Try lowering your rate settings, capping fps, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

looking to buy an isdn modem (mainly for gaming)
    u say the eicon diva or the asus.... one is better than the
    modem eircom supplies.which is better internal or ext?
    any recommendations of a reliable online site?(thatsells
    memory too)as im a first time buyer!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

I got the asus TA, and think its great. Theres awhole thread on places to buy online, here it is: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38836

www.komplett.ie seem to be a popular choice, and when I've dealt with them they've been great.

TA's from komplett:

http://www.komplett.ie/k/kl.asp?AvdID=1&CatID=12&GrpID=1&t=402&l=2
    Now, to the original question :)

40-120 is not normal for games like CS using ISDN. Have you tested different ISPs? I'd say your config is set up ok, you should know your stuff by now :) If not, then pm me in irc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,053 ✭✭✭BKtje

i got the internal eicon diva

pings are steady as a rock.
    i cant compare to cs as i dont play it but in UT mine is grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Mthor5

cheers for the links m8;)
    they're on the way.......

Thanks for the offer bug,

My cfg is grand no bothers, i simply have a feeling that it could be the fact that the external apapter is terrible for stability( a presumption of course).

Anyone who owns around who can tell me what their connection is like?

Im thinking im gonna buy the internal one, had the same prob with my external 56k modem very spikey, internal sorted all that out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

ya samba, external TAs are generally awful for gaming afaik. I got the one originally supplied with hi-speed, called DSS Webflyer, and it was terrible - I would rarely see a 2 figure ping, and it was very unstable. They must have improved on that if they're now supplying an eicon external TA, but the few people I have seen with it have bad ping like that also. I think you should definitely get an internal TA, it will make a huge improvement, and your ping should be very constant in most games assuming you're using a good ISP.

Thanks a mil ill,

Ordering tommorow.

Heh eircom didnt provide the modem, it was given to me (thankfully i didnt go out and buy it).

To think that they charge an extra 100 euro to provide you with such a poor modem is shocking really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Practical

Originally posted by ando
    your ping shoots from 40-120..... Thats quite normal for isdn. Not enough bandwidth to keep it stable when there's a lot going on around you. I've seen my ping in the low 20's and I've also seen it at 250 when there's a good few things happening.

The Asus internal TA is the best, in my opionion

Im guessing that Samba is talking about the half life netcode so no that isn't normal , at most his ping should spike to 80 but 250 is a joke :(

Advertisement