Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basic assistance needed

Options
  • 13-06-2002 4:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Hiya guys,

Righty, been doing web design for mates/relatives etc. over the last few years, and uploading them to free webspaces (y'know, iolfree.ie/~whatever, and so on).

Anywhoo, I've been approached by a mates brother to do a website from the ground up for his new mortgage company. It's a no-frills, text 'n graphics only affair, no ASP or anything.
    Trouble is, he wants a .ie domain for the new site, and I've suddenly realised I'm not really sure what I need to do. Here's my question, if someone could point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful :)

BTW, I've checked on a .ie registrar, and the domain name is available.

Q. I register the domain, then what do I do? :-)

I'm guessing I can upload the site to some free webspace provider, then redirect blahblah.ie to point to the free webspace host - is this possible without getting too messy?
    If this is the case, is there any way to always show the blahblah.ie in the location bar, rather than displaying the free webspace URL?

This question will seem trivial to most of you, but I'm stumbling blindly here, help is muchos appreciated :)

Thanks,
    lampsie.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

Hi Lampsie,

First step - getting the .ie

The domain being applied for needs to relate to your friends business, which needs to be a Ltd. company or a sole trader (with a registered Business Name Cert). Once that is done, you will be able to get a .ie domain fairly easily.

Most of the .ie registrars / affiliates will provide web/email forwarding at no charge or at a nominal charge - see http://www.irishhostreview.com/domains.htm for a list of prices charged by all the .ie registrars.

Alternative of course is hosting the domain, which will cost anything from 20-30 euro a year to several hundred ;)

Best of luck.
    Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

What's the situation wih a school getting a .ie ?

Gav

Very simple actually, they register (surprisingly) under the 'Educational Institution' Category, and all that is required is a letter on school letterhead, signed by the principal/head to secure the domain.

HTH, Steve

is it any cheaper for a school ?

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

Originally posted by Verb
    is it any cheaper for a school ?
    Hi Gav, no it's the same price for everyone. There are just different categories that you can apply under, a school is one of them. The price remains constant for all categories.

• Advertisement

ah right.
    ok thanks peter.

Gav

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Cheers steve, thanks :)

- lampsie

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

You need to show that you an Irish person or Bussiness etc..

What you need after getting the domain will be hosting. :D
    You can get hosting from webworld and other places. Web world and a lot of places can do offers if you also register the domain with them.

Once you have built the site, upload it to the hosting company and it should be working!

Or you could host with www.hosting365.ie :)

(ok, I couldn't resist ! ;)

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Coolio lads, thanks a mil :)

- lampsie

• Advertisement
Advertisement