Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pciture of p4 2ghz

• 04-08-2001 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

P4-2ghz-1.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

if it didn't say "Intel Confidential" on it, i might believe it was real

--
    .sdrawkcab dootsrednu tub sdrawrof devil si efiL

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

haha u just got this picture from hardocp.com and posted it here, that is quite sad, that is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Izzo

Hmmmmmmm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Gladiator

no someone emailed me the link,
    is there something wrong with hardocp.com

and why would it be sad to post here, i seriously douth every since member here browses that site,

Please inlighten me as i dont visit that site because of its layout

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

what's the point? Processor pr0n? tongue.gif

Bard
    G'wan... giz a click

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Kiwisco

one thing spings to my mind .....................................
    Uprade time!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

they had a few p4-2gig machines at the london cpl. Pretty impressive, though they were fujitsu (ick)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

i should hope that the P4 should start to come into its own once it starts over the 2GHZ mark.

Ashley...if only

Ashley Lyn Cafagna

[This message has been edited by chernobyl (edited 06-08-2001).]

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

why would u want a p4 2Ghz? on hardocp.com had a review: p4 2.075GHz vs a Tbird 1.300Ghz oc'd to 1.533Ghz (153Mhz x 10) and the Tbird OWNARED the p4's ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by d4r3n:
    why would u want a p4 2Ghz? on hardocp.com had a review: p4 2.075GHz vs a Tbird 1.300Ghz oc'd to 1.533Ghz (153Mhz x 10) and the Tbird OWNARED the p4's ass.</font>

because not every PC owner is a gob$h1te who over clocks their puter and uses lame a$$ leet speek.
    imagine a world, where people buy computers, turn them on a browse the joy of the internet.
    without even changing the resolution on their desktop!
    imagine that now.....
    i bet that sometimes you even form your own opinion on things without having to read what other people say first. dont you?
    twat

• Advertisement

i think thats abite overboard wwm,

but anyway, atlons tend to get better perfomance for games and the like while p4 then to be better for graphics programs like photoshop, it all depends what your uing it for, and more and more software is being writen with p4 in mind, which means your cpu with only improve as time goes by to a certain point, the atlon 4 will be something interesting again, but i still feel that will attract totaly difference users,

btw wwm thats would be a terrible world, a world were people are sheep and nothing more, and doo what they are told, them are the people who run win me and like its syem restore features and its new memdia player

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

well, the p4 is pretty much neck and neck with the tbird in games, except for quake3 of course. A 2 gig p4 will pull slightly ahead of a 1.4 gig tbird at most games.
    For encoding, the p4 is miles ahead. For most other things, the athlon is as good or better.

Also kayos, if your heatsink/fan goes, (I presume you mean the one on the cpu) the p4 will automatically shut down. The chipset gets hot also, but its up to you to ensure you have proper cooling. And it will only be hotter than normal if you have overclocked the fsb on the motherboard.

The new amd palomino/athlon 4 also has a thermal diode on the cpu, but I'm not sure if there is thermal protection on it.

I'll agree on the stability, while many people have managed to get athlon systems running perfectly stable, the p4 has excellent stability, and considering it is a new platform, it makes via's excuses look weak.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Gladiator:
    i know what i know about computers and dont try to bash people with it, but these guys talking leet usually do so to cover up the fact they know nothing about the subject they are talking about</font>

Well now something in the above is just not right.......but I cant say what rolleyes.gif

Ciaran Sutcliffe
    aka: sutty
    [HIV]sutty
    For a good time goto:
    http://www.hotinternetvirgins.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Just for gladiator:

7h15 15 5up3r m3g4 c00l l337 5p34k 4nd 1 l1k3 17.

That island has freedom written all over it" Sir, that's Cuba. [url="HTTP://WWW.thesimpsons.com"]look at that smithers!![/url]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Death Sentence:
    Just for gladiator:

7h15 15 5up3r m3g4 c00l l337 5p34k 4nd 1 l1k3 17.

</font>

translated,
    *I Like little boys* biggrin.gif

hmm interesting,

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 07-08-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 379 ✭✭Carnate

now whos taking it too much to heart?

and btw your translation is slightly off smile.gif

just my 2 pence worth..

btw alo WWM.. hows tricks

i think thats abite overboard wwm,
    </font>

yeah probably, but these people get on my t1ts

btw wwm thats would be a terrible world, a world were people are sheep and nothing more, and doo what they are told, them are the people who run win me and like its syem restore features and its new memdia player
    </font>

if thats what they want then why wouldnt they be happy?
    not everyone in the world want to be able to use unix, or program in c++ or whatever.
    some people like to use their system for games or for the internet, and thats why they have them.
    then theirs people who just love to say how much better such and such a thing is because they read it some lame website, and spout out about how cool they are because they overclocked their digital watch and can now communicate with aliens with it.
    i never said everyone should be a sheep, i say anyone that uses numbers instead of letters should either bugger of to russia, or learn to spell so the rest of us dont need a bloody cipher machine to understand them. mind you, once you know what theyre saying, its usually about over clocking their p66 to 5.9ghz using liquid nitrogen cooling systems and a piece of gum wrapper .
    get a job on macgyver.....

Your Imps Demand Cable...

i dont know, i find overclocking and water cooling fairly interesting and networking and the like, but i dont speak leet, in fact i just want to give anybody that does a good smack, i know what i know about computers and dont try to bash people with it, but these guys talking leet usually do so to cover up the fact they know nothing about the subject they are talking about

one thing wwm, i liek you sig, were you a fan of dungeon keeper to, i loved those games

i dont know, i find overclocking and water cooling fairly interesting and networking and the like, but i dont speak leet, in fact i just want to give anybody that does a good smack, i know what i know about computers and dont try to bash people with it, but these guys talking leet usually do so to cover up the fact they know nothing about the subject they are talking about</font>

ditto.

• Advertisement

one thing wwm, i liek you sig, were you a fan of dungeon keeper to, i loved those games</font>

yep smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I just want to add one thing to this post if you are comparing a AMD chip to a Pentum you have to remember that the P4's out class the AMD's when it comes to the heavy work like programming apps and Graphics apps. Plus when you overclock your chip while it might work the finest for a while good love you if your chipset heatsink/fan goes as you will more than likely have a molten mess on your plate smile.gif. Any way if its for games oc'd AMD's are fine if its for serious work that needs stabilty then the Pentium is your only man.

kayos
    When you get to hell tell them I sent you,
    you'll get a group discount...

tribes.gameshop.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Am i the only one who thinks the only thing separating such illimitably sized central processing units is their financial discrepancy?

I mean, for the bulk of computer users, can you see a 2ghz pentium4 making much of a difference when compared to a cpu in and around the 700-800 mark?

I agree that gaming requires a potent processor, but do any of the games actually specify a requirement for one that is larger than 1000mhz?

"Nothing is either good or bad but thinking makes it so."

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
    I agree that gaming requires a potent processor, but do any of the games actually specify a requirement for one that is larger than 1000mhz?
    [/B]</font>

I've seen people ask the same question ... but at the time they asked it about the "mighty" 200Mhz Pentium processor... shur how would games possibly ever have higher requirements than that?

There's a lot we couldn't or didn't anticipate, and there's bound to be changes in the gaming and other industries in computing that WILL necessitate that computer processing power continues to go up and up. If nothing else, it's good business sense to those who make the processors themselves - a constant stream of incoming revenue.

Imagine the games of the future - with utterly realistic imagery and audio, real-time situations with potentially millions of players at once... 1Ghz is, as the Vienetta ad says, never enough wink.gif

Bard
    G'wan... giz a click

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

It's not what it *needs*, it's what's nice.

I'm running B&W on a 1333MHz processor, and it's running pretty nice, but I'd prefer it to run a bit smoother... into the slick stage.

The game requires a PII 300 or better.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Carnate:
    now whos taking it too much to heart?

and btw your translation is slightly off smile.gif

just my 2 pence worth..

btw alo WWM.. hows tricks
    </font>

no to bad me old flower, not too bad
    very long time no see/hear
    hows life with yourbad ass self?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bard:

There's a lot we couldn't or didn't anticipate, and there's bound to be changes in the gaming and other industries in computing that WILL necessitate that computer processing power continues to go up and up. If nothing else, it's good business sense to those who make the processors themselves - a constant stream of incoming revenue.

</font>

A good point but i just believe
    that cpu speed is simular to male genetalia. Anything over 6 inches is nice to brag about, but is quite pointless seeing as the average female genatalia can only accomadate 5 inches.

However, as you say, in time i'm sure the games will pick up to the stage where a behemouth of a cpu is required and in turn the female flange will evolve to a stage where our towers of power are no longer causing them discomfort.

"Nothing is either good or bad but thinking makes it so."

*cough*

interesting analogy...

goodnight smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Regarding the later p5 17ghz thread, which has since been locked.

I saw it just as I was going to bed, thought ah what the hell, and ended up with this:

pentium-5.jpg

Could definately use more tweaking, but y'know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

how about neil, you play games on a few different machines, see if you find any difference. If you don't, or if it doesn't bother you, well then don't buy a new machine. No-one is forcing you to. If someone wants to buy a new machine because they can notice the difference, let them. Enough of the getting on your high horse (trying to slag the "mine's bigger than yours" mentality) which you reckon, in your infinite wisdom is going on here. Yeah, fantastic, hilarious, your medal is on the way.

To answer your question, and yes I am slightly drunk, I'm not aware of any games that specify a 1ghz minimum cpu, but if you play games much, you will realise that the minimum spec is a VERY rough guide.

[This message has been edited by Gerry (edited 10-08-2001).]

Advertisement