Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tougue piercing

Options
  • 13-06-2002 1:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

i wanna get my tougue pierced.
    i think it'll look cool, and i've wanted one for years.

but: what are the drawbacks?

i heard you have to learn to eat differently, it could split in the middle, you can't eat for 2 weeks, its really easily infected, you destroy your teeth.

what do you think?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Yes you do have to learn to eat differently but this is only until the swelling goes down(usually 1-2 days).After that you wont even know its there.What split in the middle?Your tongue or the jewellery?
    Ive never heard of any ones tongue split but the jewellery can come loose.You just put it back in-fairly easy done.And since your mouth is basically self-cleaning infection is not a serious problem.The one thing I would recommend is to use a mouth was for at least a week or two after getting the piercing done.As for the teeth issue it depends where the piercing is done.If its at the front of the tongue then yes it can hit the teeth and corrode the enamel.If you do decide to get it done,get it done where your tongue meets your bottom jaw(just in front of the flap of skin where your tongue meets the jaw).Hope this helps.
    And enjoy yer piercing.
    Richie.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jackoman

For a start, its not that they look cool - you dont go walking around with your tongut hanging out of your mouth - its what what you do with 'em. Although you can get some pretty cool bars and studs but most of em will just end up hurting you or anybody you plan on scoring.
    As I already said over on another thread, the first week is hell. On the second day your tongue swells up massively so that you cant talk properly or eat properly. You learn to live off Yops and soup. Everytime you drink, eat, kiss, smoke, anything that goes in your mouth you have to rinse out with a special mouthwash otherwise you'll get it infected.
    Some people wreck there teeth - it depends on how far back on your tongue you get it. Or you can get plastic balls instead of steel ones which wont do you as much damage if you do bite down on it.
    I dont know what you're talking about with "split in the middle". The people who will pierce you measure your tongue to see if it is suitable - not all people can have it done.
    Asides from all that to sum up - its great to be with a woman who has her tongue pierced and women love what you can do for them;)
    But each to his own - not all people are keen on them.
    If you're gonna get it done, dont go cheap - get it done properly. There are loads of places - I got mine in Metal Morphasis - pricey but good qaulity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

For a start, it's very difficult to split your tongue, and you certainly won't do it just by having a barbell in there! (You do it with fishing wire or a cautery pen but that's another story...)
    The only drawbacks are that you can't eat solid food for a couple of days, and you shouldn't drink milk/any other dairy for a week or two as they coat the barbell and attract bacteria.
    Suck on ice a lot in the days after getting pierced and you will get minimal swelling.

It is going to be fiddly to talk, but hey, you've got some metal in your tongue, your tongue has to compensate for this.

And you'd have to try VERY hard to infect a tongue piercing, so long as you abstain from oral sex for a while and wash your mouth out after you eat anything with alcohol free mouthwash while it's healing, you'll be fine.

If tongue piercing was dangerous, why would so many people have it done?

Just go to somewhere reputable to get it done and you'll be fine, like Snakebite on Middle Abbey st in Dublin (www.snakebite.ie), in my opinion, they're the best in Ireland. I would advised against Metal Morphosis in Temple bar, in my personal experience they're clueless butchers!

One last thing, jackoman, EVERYONE can have their tongue pierced, it just takes a skilled piercer to do the trickier ones where veins might be in the way.

One last thing, jackoman, EVERYONE can have their tongue pierced, it just takes a skilled piercer to do the trickier ones where veins might be in the way.

It's not the veins that are the problem. What if your tongue is very short - you'll look pretty damn stupid with a piercing at the tip of your tongue........hmmm now that I think about it I 've seen a few of those. But whatever your particular fancy is.
    I agree with snakebite being good, and as I said metal Morphosis are pricey. In my own personal experience they are'nt clueless butchers. I went with them coz they had a good rep, have stores around the world and they did a good job on other people I knew.

Hmm but would you go back to them knowing that their piercers get a week or two's training, whereas the piercers in snakebite are apprenticing for a few years before they're allowed do any procedure on their own?

I had my industrial done there, they put a bar in that was FOUR MM too short and gave me scarring, before that started I had gone back and gotten my navel pierced, but instead of getting my navel, she merely pierced the skin above it. Since then i've only gone to bodyshock to get work done and now, purely snakebite.

They really are incompetent and friends of mine who are piercers in reputable establishments tell me they correct MM's mistakes a lot.

As for tongue piercing, what I meant was that physically, anyone can have their tongue pierced, whether it looks silly or not is another thing.

• Advertisement

All fair enough then. Originally I had intended in getting mine done in snakebite, later on I went for MM. And yes I would still go back to them. They did I good job on me, and I'm happy with it.

Either way neither of us is reps for them and kirn is getting what he needs to hear - opinions of different places. And as you said anyway
    If tongue piercing was dangerous, why would so many people have it done?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'll agree with Metal Morphsis being a bit dodgier. My eyebrow grew out through a combination of a wrong first bar (she gave me a 16mm long bar for an 8mm long piercing 'in case it swells up'), andme not knowing really what to do. Every time I caught something on the long bar, it gave a little rip at the top or bottom of the piercing, eventually tearing all the way out. Ah well, I know for next time. As for the tongue piercing, everything they've said is spot on. You can never predict how you'll react. Some people swell up for days, others never swell up at all, some people are really hurt by the piercing, others feel nothing. You can usually judge on how your body reacted to oter piercings.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭rachel

even though it's already been mentioned indirectly and you'll be told when you get it done...
    I have to emphasis, don't drink any alcohol for, at the very least, a week or two after you get it done, I can't remember how long I had to abstain for after i got mine done but i'm sure they'll tell you in wherever you go and from past experience I'd say go with Snakebite, genuinely nice and professional people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

cool.

i heard that apperently the front of your tongue can split if its not done right. probably bull though.

i got a few previous piercings in metal morphosis, they were fine (although the one at the top of my ear was real sore).
    as long as its not the georges street arcade!

good pointers people, how many yoyos are we talkin?

i'd be most worried about my teeth, i'd be banging it off me teeth and wreckin' them... maybe a plastic one would be best...

here eth0, do you it changes the way you talk forever, or just while its healing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

I have heard cases of tongues splitting but most of the tongue splitting has been done by an oral surgeon and its really nasty to get done. I also saw scar tissue grow out around the pierced hole so there are times when it does go wrong.

I'd have gotten my tongue pierced ages ago but for the fact that me an piercings are not great together. I just got my right nipple pierced for the third time and it will probably grow out too.

First time it got knocked out, second time it grew out, third time lucky I hope.

I got my navel done too and it never took, it stayed infected for months and I got sick of it and took it out.

Since my job also involves talking to people all day I couldn't afford to have a swollen tongue for more than 2 days. I might get it done when I'm on hols next.

• Advertisement

Mine cost about £30. I think.
    Just thought I'd throw these in for you to read about:

http://www.bmezine.com/pierce/02-tongue/info.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/health/newsid_399000/399218.stm

I think Snakebite charge 35-40 euro for a tongue piercing.
    And yeah, check out bmezine, it's a great resource.

I'd reckon your speech would be affected for a few weeks, when you get the shorter bar put in everything is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭conZ

actually, ur tongue has to be pierced at a certain place and if not, can result in pumping blood and being rushed to the hospital and ****..
    think u also have to have two arteries(or veins cant rem, although had science today:( the dark 'uns neway) at the bottom of your tongue, ie., put the tip of your tongue on your top lip and check if u have two dark lines veins, then i think u should be ok... think some ppl only have 1, which might affect the way they have to get pierced...

....I didn't say anyone's tongue could be pierced ANYWHERE, I said a skilled piercer can pierce practically ANY tongue. *Obviously* one would try to avoid a vein.. in the tongue you have the dorsalis linguae artery and two lingual veins, that are usually twisted close to each other, but the venal system in most tongues is such that, if you use a strong light source , a safe positioning can usually be found that is aesthetically pleasing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 528 ✭✭✭kirn

y'know i'm only gonna do this tomorrow?
    so afraid.. so chickensh*t...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭thedrowner

this is the first time ive ever gotten really queesy reading through a thread! i'd love to have loads of piercings too but i'm allergic to a lot of metals. i wouldnt mind getting my nipple pierced but i dunno how id react to it, so i wouldnt chance it. also the pain factor terrifies me. let us know how it goes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 xcutiexamberx

hey hey, got mine done today..and it hasnt stopped bleeding..it don't hurt at all but its jus bleeding n thers bits of skin in my mouth wat is it :( x

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Moved to Piercing & Tattoos.

OP - next time create a new thread, rather than dragging up one from the past

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Girrrrseach

Try not to worry!!!

I got mine done 3 weeks ago. At the start you get quite freaked out by the changes... yes, your tongue swells, yes, little white bits gather at the piercing, no, you can't eat, no, you can't talk and you think it will NEVER get better! I almost cried from hunger!

But that only lasted a week (ish) and the benefits really outway the initial discomfort. The actual piercing itself is pain free IMO.

Im getting the shorter bar tomorrow so I shouldnt even be able to feel it in my mouth.

I got mine done in BodyShock. They're fantastic. And it cost 50e.....

Grace x

• Advertisement
Advertisement