Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bike Lessons

Options
  • 13-06-2002 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

Ive decided to shun bus travel and get myself a nice 125 cruiser to get myself around.

The only problem is ive never ever ridden a bike/scooter (or car as a matter of fact) and was wondering if there are many places that do motorbike lessons. Google isnt very helpfull so was wondering what some of you other bikers did :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Loads of bikers I know sneer at the whole lessons thing, but I don't think it's a bad idea at all.

If you don't have any road experience at all, best thing is to read the official Rules of the Road book, then go out with your dad/mum/sister/brother/auntie for an hour or so, and go through what they're doing and why, step-by-step, to familiarise you with what you should and shouldn't do. Then do the same when you're in a car with other people, and go through the rules in your head when you hit junctions, parked cars, lights, etc etc.

If being able to use the bike straight away isn't a priority, then when you get it (ask the shop to deliver it), read through the manual a few times, and start up the engine just sitting on the bike, and get used to the weight of the bike.

Ask someone you know who drives to explain gearing to you, then figure out how to move, and just spend an entire day going up and down a local estate, getting used to turning a corner, changing the gears, stopping using both brakes, starting again, etc etc.

Then spend a week or so just going around the local area - popping to the shops, going to your mates, etc etc, but don't go much further than a mile or two, and go slowly. After 2 weeks, is about the time you start getting cocky, which is bad.

Build yourself up really, really slowly. I don't know if you live/work in Dublin City, but that's one of the things you shouldn't do unless your really ready. Dublin City traffic is hectic at the best of times, and you need a cool head to survive it. That, said, everyone is scared their first time :).

Avoid dual carraigeways for a while too, until you're used to travelling at speed for extended periods (> 10mins).

Driving on roads in any vehicle is all about experience, so even after lessons, you will still do most of your learning on your own. One 2-hour lesson isn't nearly enough to prep you for going on the roads. Golden Rule: If you're not sure, slow down or stop.

All that said, yes there are dedicated biking schools out there. Lessons are expensive, but I'm sure they're brilliant.

http://www.irishridertraining.com/
    http://www.motorbiketraining.net/

:)

(I already had substantial car experience, so for me it was just a matter of getting used to gearing with opposite appendages, and leaning into corners :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Thats hugely helpful thanks seamus :)

Advertisement