Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Urgent help- Dreamweaver

Options
  • 13-06-2002 2:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭

Folks

can any1 help. I have laid out a template, by the book for a site I am doing, okay

On the editable region of the page I am inserting a table 5 cols x 8 rows, and inserting photos of people and their details, now ....

as I do this the menu bar in the template,,,, supposed to be no-editable starts to move down the page so when I am finished the menu bar is half way doen the page, and its fine on the rest of the pages using this template....

Any olutions advice wud be greatly appreciated, as I am quite honestly F****D for a soln.

thanks, paddy:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I take it that the editable region is inside a table of some sort, set the allignment setting to top,

Its the vertical one here:

Any probs post back

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

I never use templates with Dreamweaver. I find that when i do it never works :( . If you need to use a template just save a page that has the layout you need and no text in it so all you have to do is copy the page, rename it and you have it. :D

I`d highly recommend using templates and not the way Winters specifies.

With templates all you have to do is change one page, Winters way may be ok for a site with under 10 pages but for any more definelty use templates, also there aren`t that hard to use or make.

Humm. I have never used it. Always had the same problem as paddy. I have about two templates: one for main dir and another for folders. Ill give the templates a go. Last time I used them was DW2 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭G

I wouldn't use the templates either, even for large sites. Better to use library items, they works just like an include file.

Whatever html is common to your template (e.g. header / navigation / footer) just hightlight it and covert it to a library item. Then if you need to add another nav link you only need to edit one file instead of 10 or more :)

G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

Originally posted by G
    ... covert it to a library item. Then if you need to add another nav link you only need to edit one file instead of 10 or more :)
    As opposed to how templates work? In DW, the templates are updated site-wide when you modify the template. Although, in your example library items would do the trick too, but they wouldn't work if you wanted to move the navigation from the left of the page to the right. This would call for the work of a template (or possibly a find+replace, but that could get messy if you code isn't the same on all pages)

Winters: you said that you had the same problem as paddy with templates, but the problem was not due to templates, it was a table alignment prob?

they wouldn't work if you wanted to move the navigation from the left of the page to the right
    why not? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

phrase, me, bad, that...

They *would* work but you could not change the position of the navigation library throughout the site. You are limited to what is *contained* in the library, not it's *position* on the page. With templates, you not only have control of, e.g. navigation sysytems, but the layout of your pages too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

I also do it the winters way. Whats so hard with pressing CTRL+V a couple of times :) But i will have a go with the template stuff.

Originally posted by donaloconnor
    Whats so hard with pressing CTRL+V a couple of times

pfft a couple of hundred times

• Advertisement

Originally posted by donaloconnor
    I also do it the winters way.

"The winters way" is the best way ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭donaloconnor

Originally posted by pcirl.com

pfft a couple of hundred times

Not if u have a dynamic database driven site, the right way to have a site with a couple of hundred pages :D

With templates, you not only have control of, e.g. navigation sysytems, but the layout of your pages too
    Point taken ;)

I suppose it's down to personal preference.

Advertisement