Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Windows XP Error Prob

• 13-06-2002 2:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭

When i start my machine back home i get an error message saying that a serious error was found on the pc. and i get the option to send this info to microsoft or not. i did send it but the error message keep on occuring when i start up.

dunno what it is, doesnt seem to affect performance. but the error message is appearing more often now.

not sure what the prob is or how to go about fixing it.

any ideas

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Check your even log (admin tools - event log) Look for a similar message in there and a related service or file etc.. might help! Also if you get it again do a print screen (print screen on the keyboard) and then post it on the baords.. do that by going into paint or some image app, and go to edit - paste.. should be in the clip board.. then save it and upload it to your boards member page.. link it in your post and we can see what the error is... Or just type it out for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

i'll do it when i get back from work......

thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭Dr. Loon

Run msconfig, and disable all your startup items.
    If it doesn't happen again, then re-enable the startup items one by one, until it does happen - there... you've found the offending item - delete it or reinstall the prog\app and you'll be sorted.

picture 2

picture 1

• Advertisement

picture 3

Saruman, above is the screen dumps of the messages i get....

Dr Loon, i'll do the msconfig thingy this evening. didnt have time last night to try and sort it out...... thanks for info

any way... better head off to work

Found the following info:
    Right click on 'My Computer' and select 'Properties'. Click on the advanced tab, then the error reporting button. Select the 'Nor Error Reporting' checkbox and turn off the 'But notify me' checkbox. Hit ok. From the system properties window (right click on My Computer and select Properties), stay in the advanced tab, then performance settings, the advanced tab, virtual memory button. Write down your current settings, then select 'no paging file' and press the 'Set' button. Reboot.

Once this is done, make sure the pagefile.sys file doesn't exist in the C:\ directory.

Now just follow the above steps in reverse. Re-enable virtual memory, then error reporting, and reboot. That should fix the problem.

This is only a temporary fix. I have several systems that still have this error pop up. I am still trying to find out what is causing it.

Also:
    When a serious error occurs, by default the system writes out a miniature memory
    >dump along with an XML description of the system status (which notes the program
    >at fault and other pertinent system data) that can be uploaded to Microsoft. If this
    >data is not correctly closed out, the system may present a Serious Error screen upon
    >boot. To resolve this problem, perform the following steps:
    >
    >1. Click the Start button.
    >
    >2. Right click the My Computer icon, and then click Explore on the context menu that
    >appears.
    >
    >3. Browse to the c:\Windows\Minidump directory.
    >
    >4. Delete everything located in this directory.
    >
    >NOTE : You will need to be able to view hidden and system files and the system should
    >not be hiding protected operating system files.
    >
    >5. Browse to the c:\Documents and Settings folder.
    >
    >6. Search for the following file: sysdata.xml file.
    >
    >7. Delete all instances (you may find more than one) of this file.
    >
    >8. Click the Start button, click Turn off the computer, and then click Restart.
    >
    >III. Disable the Automatically Restart setting
    >
    >This attacks the same class of Serious Errors that resizing the swap file fixes,
    >but it tries to ensure that the errors do not happen beforehand. However, this does
    >not help to rid the persistent Serious Error message after the fact.
    >
    >1. Click the Start button.
    >
    >2. Right click the My Computer icon, and then click Properties on the context menu
    >that appears.
    >
    >3. Click the Advanced tab and then click the Settings button in the Startup and Recovery
    >section.
    >
    >4. Click to remove the check next to Automatically Restart checkbox and then click
    >OK.
    >
    >5. Click OK.
    >The system will no longer automatically restart after a Serious Error message appears.
    >
    >IV. Disable Memory Dumps
    >
    >This option totally disables memory dumps altogether, which may help fix some persistent
    >Serious Error messages. To disable memory dumps, perform the following steps:
    >
    >1. Click the Start button
    >
    >2. Right click the My Computer icon, and then click Properties on the context menu
    >that appears.
    >
    >3. Click the Advanced tab, and then click the Settings button in the Startup and
    >Recovery section.
    >
    >4. In the Write debugging information tab, click to select (none) and then click
    >OK.
    >
    >5. Click OK.
    >
    >The system will no longer perform a memory dump when it encounters a Serious Error.
    >
    >

thanks Saruman, :)

as soon as i get back from work i'll do those steps....

• Advertisement
Advertisement