Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know anything about Jazz?

Options
  • 13-06-2002 3:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

i'm trying to find a song called "dream a little dream of me", but i can't find the version i want- i keep finding different versions by a whole load of different people- what i'm wondering is, who did the original, classic version of it? i thought it was ella fitzgerald, but i can't find a version by her, so i assume i was wrong....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

Is it the Mama Cass version you're looking for - it's not the original but it's the most well-known. Not quite jazz, though, so maybe it's an earlier version you're after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Wook

thats right , i would say you would be able to find it in the black soul music section. Not jazz
    what about Louis Armstrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

as lolo said, do a search for Dream a Little Dream by The Mamas and The Papas. Its more than likely its the one your looking for. Mama Cass has the black soundalike skillz ;)

I heard an interesting story a while back, not sure if its true. Apparently Mama Cass, while being blessed with an astonishing voice, couldnt hold a tune very well at all untill one day she walked past a building site and a brick hit her on the head. After making a full recovery she discovered she could hold a tune better than anyone and didnt look back.

No, it wasn't that she couldn't hold a tune, it was that her range wasn't large enough. She failed an audition for the band on those grounds, and then re-auditioned post-brick, and got in. I don't know how true it is, but it's a great story.

Have you ever seen the film "Beautiful Thing", where a Mama Cass obsessive tries to convince her mates to drop a brick on her head to achieve a similar effect?!

And while we're on the subject, contrary to popular belief she did not in fact choke to death on a sandwich, she died of a heart attack.

I have the same birthday as Mama Cass - and Twiggy. Go figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Velvet Vocals

In my opinion - Peggy Lee did the best version of this song... it really is the only one worth listening too!!

• Advertisement

That could actually be the very version you're looking for. (But I still prefer the Mama Cass version, cheesy as it is).

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭beardedchicken

yeah, i just found it! it was actually the mamma cass version that i wanted! yay!

Advertisement