Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop to TV cable advice

• 13-06-2002 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭

I'm looking into connecting my laptop up to my TV for watching DVD's, DivX's etc.

The laptop has s-video out and mini-jack audio out.

I'm look at this along with some obvious cables and I'm wondering if there is a better option ( or if this is even what I want ).

Zab.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

this is ok and will work but you probably dont need, unless your TV does not have an Svideo connector?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

thats the option to go for, pick it up in PEATS, get a L+R to phono cable to , to hook up the sound to the TV.

SIDENOTE u can also get small box that plugs between the monitor and desktop signal cable, that takes the signal off into a scart lead, but as ur running a Laptop.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dbspin

Actually work in peats myself. And officially speaking this is the adapter we would recommend for connecting a TV out in a graphics card to a SCART tv.
    Unofficially this seems to work as I've never had anyone get back to me saying it didn't. One cavat however, make sure your TV supports S-Video signal through the SCART socket (hint - check the manual) as if it doesn't all you'll get is a black and white picture.

How'd you post the "invisible" link by the way ? <a href=> just came up as text, and I'm too lazy to read the FAQ etc ;).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

Thanks for the replies.

I'll check the manual for information about s-video support, but it's not the newest TV so I have my doubt: lucky you mentioned it!

Looking at the front of the TV I seem to have two inputs ( look like mini-jacks ), one for video and one for audio, so I may be able to do somthing with composite if I can't with the scart?

Oh yeah, and an s-video cable and a S-VHS cable are the same thing?

Thanks again,
    Zab.

PS: The http links can be inserted with VBB code, or more simply by clicking the "http://&quot; button in the compose screen! You can see the code for yourself by trying out the button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 dbspin

First off, S-Video an S-VHS are the same.
    You could connect from your S-Video out to the composite 3.5 jack in on your tele, but (assuming your TV does not accept an S-Video signal) you would still need an S-Video to composite adapter - same as with the SCART. This device usually retails at about € 25 (peats are out of stock, but you might get this in maplin or one of the other electronics stores in town).
    In this case you would run the S-Video into the S-Video to Composite adapter, and this would output as phono, which you could convert to 3.5 jack with a small adapter, or run through the SCART adapter mentioned in your original message.
    Hope this helps :).

• Advertisement
Advertisement