Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

World cup bbci not in roi

• 13-06-2002 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Although we had the service until today its now blocked in ireland. this probably means we dont get wimbeldon either. First blocking big brother interactive now this.......

Though it looks like i got the scoop

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

You mean on the highlights on BBC1? Because it's there for me.

Try rebooting your digibox.

Glenn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

A yellow screen comes up.....'not available in ROI'......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Xxtreme

yeah same here,

I think it unfair because aren't we paying a couple of quid extra on our subscription for bbc (even though they don't say it)? So we should get all the interactive stuff that bbc provides, im very annoyed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

Yeah, sorry - I didn't actually go into the menu to check :o

I'll check the BBC news tonight to see if we can still get the interactive service on that.

Personally I think it's disgraceful as we pay extra for BBC in our subscriptions. :mad:

Glenn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Bloody hell, you're right. Just checked it there.
    I think its crass and petty, and ultimately Sky are the ones that are going to suffer because its not that difficult for Irish people to get FTV cards.
    After 12 months Irish people with FTV cards will be less inclined to continue with a Sky subscription.
    So Sky, tell the BBC not to be so petty with the Southern Irish consumer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i got home tonight with the plan of watching the Brazil replay but a stupid ****ing screen greeted me :mad: . i am getting really pissed off with all of this. as mentioned above we do pay for the BBC through our subscriptions :mad: . the bastards :mad: . i hope they don't do this with Wimbledon and the Golf

the interactive news still works though :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭David C

I was watching BBCi all afternoon today..
    To be honest since i got this FTV card, i rarely bother putting the Irish card back in!
    This further development further highlights the farce that is an Irish subscription.. Its a bloody waste of €22 a month!
    I will be considering any future subscription when my year is up, especially with UK Play closing and Rapture being FTA at least for the next few months.
    I find myself only really watch the news channels & the uk terrestrials, only thing i'd miss is UK Gold and the music channels, but then there is the radio stations.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Only hypothesising - I would probably guess this has something to do with FIFA and their rather control-freakish behavior over the rights for this years World Cup. (You heard that they tried to ban Irish banners if they had the name of pubs on them). Don't be surprised if this is a matter outside the BBC's control. (The BBC is, for instance, not allowed put video reports of the World Cup on BBCi Online).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭marclt

The people to email are BBC Reception Advice, but put things in plain English when it comes to matters with Sky and Ireland they like to skirt around the issue and play 'three monkeys'.

They will be responsible for what goes on where!

Hope this helps I emailed all email addresses about BB Interactive and have received no reply! But then that's Channel 4 for you! Bring back Michael Grade!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Ballydung

Im hacked off for you guys and Im in the UK .
    Lads I think you want to have a look at this post I have just seen

http://forum.digitalspy.co.uk/board/showthread.php?threadid=26866

Looks like its not the beeb but SKY ???
    Who the hell do they think they are if I was paying for a service and only some of that was available to me I would demand some sort of compensation like free sky sports for a month as a good will gesture.If I was in Ireland I would give the F ers @ sky loads
    on this matter.

Bloody discrimination again for u guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 MOD

BBCi was back working for the news at 10 o'clock.
    I hope as suggested that this is only a World Cup (FIFA) issue but even at that it is so unnfair. I will really miss the Five Live commentary with live picture this Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I am rather upset about this. I have not seen the actual screen but was not surprised that the service was withdrawn.Only a matetr of time i thought.
    I was going to email the BBC but having tried to find a email to complain to i came across this very intertesting titbit hid away on a FAQ on the BBC Reception Website.
    Why can’t I get World Cup Interactive via Sky in the Republic of Ireland?

The BBC cannot provide interactive World Cup coverage to Sky customers in the Republic of Ireland. This is due to rights restrictions. However, World Cup coverage on BBC One is available as normal..

I found it here

I say FIFA are to blame. Was tempted to ring the BBC 24hr Line to see what they have to say for themselves.Dont think it will make such difference. I wonder is it to do with Radio 5 LIve because i was looking through their site and found a note saying that they could not put world cup coverage online because of rights issues but could be put on DSAT because its only availabe to Britain.

2FM also do not broadcast Ireland matches on the Web. I wonder is available FTA to England on SKY. Hold on thats an interesting point i just made.Can ayone verify this or check it out before we go out of the World Cup. I hopes its not sunday but it maybe the last chance to check. We could use this as an point of arguement.

Anybody guess what interactive service will be withdrawn next. I bet it will be FA Cup.

I think this is Mark Deering fault because he is now setting up SKY Ireland and i bet he is saying if you want to do stuff in Ireland you have to pay for it. What i mean is if E4 wanna broadcast BB Interactive in Ireland and the UK they are going to have to pay twice. Once for Ireland and once for the UK.

I think we will get less and less and end up paying more and more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

No, I'd say this is purely down to Kirch and FIFA turning the screws.

Mind you, BBCi World Cup Interactive compromises RTÉ's rights too.... But from previous experience of other tournaments, this has not bothered RTÉ before.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭PadraigL

Hi, I am new and like what I see so far..

How can we influence these people to give back BBCi and more importantly, what we deserve for our money. I send a mail to sky and the BBC yesterday, no reply as of yet and I expect a political reply.
    They know we are not going back to cable or whence we came (not me anyway). As for the FTV card, how do you go about getting one?
    :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭ShaneOC

Originally posted by PadraigL
    Hi, I am new and like what I see so far..

How can we influence these people to give back BBCi and more importantly, what we deserve for our money. I send a mail to sky and the BBC yesterday, no reply as of yet and I expect a political reply.
    They know we are not going back to cable or whence we came (not me anyway). As for the FTV card, how do you go about getting one?
    :)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37638 has all the info you need about getting an FTV card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Ive just read this posting.Cant believe it. Sky and BBC are taking the piss. You pay for BBC in Eire courtesy of Sky and you get F**K all.
    Id bombared sky with emails and bbc and whats that offiece of fair trading called? Broadcasting rights is a real excuse. Look at it from a payment point of view.Did sky advertise BBC as a "Limited" service in their litrature.You need to remind them of false advertising or misleading to say the least..
    Dont know, FTV card is the only way. F**k sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 John Q

Firstly I was pissed at sky for taking away big brother interactive then BBCi world cup interactive which we pay for and is not free to view in the republic.
    And yes I do blame sky totally , because their the govering body over the Astra satellite,

I going to cancel my sub to sky sports today, I was going to keep it for the summer but I'm not going to bother now,

Why, Why, Why, are we been treated by sky as been second rate subscribers, I think its because were living in Ireland or sorry it is because we are living in Ireland:mad:

This is strange but I am going to have to stick up for Sky on this one. I do not think that they have anything to do with this service not being available. The message that appears has been put in place by the BBC and they have removed the world cup option from the digital teletext menu too.

However I am also not blaming the BBC, I think that FIFA have probably done this as they are really picky over the rights. It is impossible to get radio commentary on the web for example.

All of the other BBCi services up to now have been available to us. Obviously if this starts to change in the future then I will change my tune.

Having stood up for them I would still like to say that in my opinion Sky are still treating us a second class citizens with regards to a lot of other services.

I hate to throw a spanner in the works here-, But if RTÉ were effecient and were granted a licence fee increase-they could and should be providing an RTÉ interactive service similar if not Better than the BBC.

Secondly *who* is the spoilsport that pointed out to FIFA that ROI viewers were getting more than they legally perhaps should be with BBC i world cup???
    Sky no doubt, in the concern that the promotion of these services here is competition for them.

mm

I wonder why Sky would bother. The have nothing to do with the world cup and never will thank God. Because the world cup will always be available to terristal broadcasters i cant see Sky being that bothered about who was watching what.

i can imagine the FIFA phone call to the BBC. Are you showing BBC I in the ROI. Thats not allowded naughty, naughty.

How do they know on the interactive thing were are from ireland i trying removing my card and still got the same message. How do they tell.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by madman
    Sky no doubt, in the concern that the promotion of these services here is competition for them.

Not quite sure if I understand you. In order to get the interactive services here you have to have Sky. If Sky get the services removed it could possibly lead to even more people getting FTV cards. Many people will be quite happy to use just the FTV card and ditch Sky. So infact it would be shooting themselves in the foot.

If the UK terrestrials had been on Sky from day one I think there would be a lot less people getting the FTV cards. The availability of the channels is the issue not the cost.

Sky need to make their package as attractive as possible. The more we see "This service is not available in the Republic of Ireland" the more upset we will get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dreed700

I just miss the service, I don't care who was or is at fault, but OK fair enough if FIFA stuck the boot in and said you can't do that, but why oh why oh why did they take the option away during live matches ? I love the highlights and stats options (being the anorak that I am). Also due to the crazy times the matches are on, I used to say its not a problem, Kids could watch Cartoons until bed time, then the Mrs. could watch her soaps and then after that I could select my match of the day, feet up and enjoy, now WW3 has broken out when it comes to a choice of highlights, corrie or Looney tunes...I howl my protest !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭carrolls

Sky's big problem is that Irish subscribers know they are being deprived of services.
    You just have to press Interactive on E4 and BBC1 and a big gaping message appears telling us that the functionality is not available in Ireland. ( I think E4 switched it off recently)
    Add that to the fact that the Interactive World Cup was available for 2 weeks and then terminated.
    You don't wave a piece of meat in front of a lion, take it away
    and expect to get away with it.
    BSkyB need to hire a psychology expert to plan their strategies for Ireland.
    Not a lot of happy campers this side of the border. Sky take note.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Leesider

Is it my imagination, or did Sky's customer magazine have a page in this month's issue about the world cup being on Network 2 (102) and INTERACTIVE on BBC1 (214)?

Can someone please confirm??

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭PadraigL

Thanks ShaneOC for the link. Unfortunately I am in a position where I do not know anyone over the water..

I suggest nominating a “e-mail sky day”.
    If people agree on a day and just blast off some mails, they would have to take note. They may not read them but if the subject line is noticeable, that would be good enough.
    E.g. Why no BBCi in ROI.

I think it is important to realise that Sky are not always to blame.

FIFA are most likely to blame for the withdrawl of BBCi's World cup section. The rest of BBCi is still available to us.

Channel 4 are responsible for the missing interactive Big Brother application. And to an extent they are to blame for the lack of Channel 4 in the republic on Sky.

ITV are to blame for the disappearance of UTV (and all the other ITV's) from our other channels.

As I have said in http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47622 Sky have also done more than their fair share of discrimination towards us here in the republic. They could no doubt push a bit more for both UTV and Channel 4 to appear on the EPG.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Ballydung

2FM also do not broadcast Ireland matches on the Web. I wonder is available FTA to England on SKY. Hold on thats an interesting point i just made.Can ayone verify this or check it out before we go out of the World Cup. I hopes its not sunday but it maybe the last chance to check. We could use this as an point of arguement.

irishgeo
    I can confirm for you that over here in england the Cameroon game and the German game were on, I listenend to your man Gerry Ryan and some Dublin lass coming from some pub in Dublin via channel 914 on sky but could not get it when I logged on to the net (although as soon as the anthems came on I went round the corner to the pub to watch it). Dont know about the saudi game as I went to pub straight from work and as for Sunday it will be down to mass for prayers and asking nicely for some divine help then all day at the pub win or lose.

I predict extra time and a 2-1 win for Micks boys.

Originally posted by Leesider
    Is it my imagination, or did Sky's customer magazine have a page in this month's issue about the world cup being on Network 2 (102) and INTERACTIVE on BBC1 (214)?

Can someone please confirm??

i was just about to post that. i have the magazine here in front of me and it says:
    WORLD CUP AT A GLANCE

Sky Sports News
    go to Channel 408

BBCi
    press the red button while watching live games on BBC1 and BBC2

skysports.com
    log on to www.skysports.com on the internet

Network 2
    Go to Channel 102

so it definately got a mention in the June edition of Sky's Customer Magazine. it's on page 76

what i would like to know is this. if FIFA are to blame then why are we still able to watch live games on BBC1. i blame the BBC for this

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I'm just waiting for the England game to start. The "Press Red" icon appeared so I was hoping we would get the interactivity. Sadly, I get the yellow screen. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

Once again we seem to have more than one thread discussing this matter.

I agree that if this was a FIFA issue due to rights then the entire BBC coverage would be removed and not just interactive. I can see no reason why Sky would remove the service at this stage when they were obviously promotting it in the magazine.

That only leaves BBC to blame. We may never know why.

Originally posted by Mossy Monk

what i would like to know is this. if FIFA are to blame then why are we still able to watch live games on BBC1. i blame the BBC for this
    Possibly because Interactive"highlights"constitutes a repeat, cleared for the UK and not ROI?
    Again we go back to the old licence fee chess nut - The Beeb don't want to be seen to be paying for us foreigners to be receiving a service provided by the UK licence.
    There was no BBCi when 214 and 215 appeared at first on the EPG here
    mm

Originally posted by ShaneOC

Not quite sure if I understand you. In order to get the interactive services here you have to have Sky. If Sky get the services removed it could possibly lead to even more people getting FTV cards. Many people will be quite happy to use just the FTV card and ditch Sky. So infact it would be shooting themselves in the foot.

If the UK terrestrials had been on Sky from day one I think there would be a lot less people getting the FTV cards. The availability of the channels is the issue not the cost.

Sky need to make their package as attractive as possible. The more we see "This service is not available in the Republic of Ireland" the more upset we will get.

points well made, Shane.
    To expand a little on what I said-Sky need to see the wood from the tree's here.
    If your post above was the methodology applied to the running of Sky in ROI-they would have more customers.
    I firmly believe that some Sky "heads" somewhere have an age old English way of dealing with Ireland. They just don't understand that blowing the whistle on BBCi World cup here annoys us.
    It won't annoy everybody though and , no doubt their subscriber base will continue to grow without it.
    In my opinion someone had to blow the whistle on the excelent BBCi world cup in ROI and that had to be Sky.I doubt if FIFA officials were directly aware of it initially,as if they were we wouldn't have had it from the start.
    Sky couldn't stop it in the U.K as the BBC have the rights, and the BBC are providing a great service to their UK licence payers.
    Blocking BBCi world cup to the ROI is Sky's way of protecting their own sports channels here.
    Wimbledon will tell the tale-who sells the rights to that? and are they as technical about who exactly is watching as FIFA obviously are?

This is another example of what happens when a tv platform is supplied by a foreign country-discrimination in favour of profit.
    mm
    Incidently when I say that I think that this was Sky's way of protecting their own channels-I know that they don't have the world cup of course.
    But they are setting the precedent and reminding the BBC that they should only provide to ROI that which they have rights cleared for.
    That would be governed mainly by the original agreement they had with Sky for 214 and 215 in ROI, which gives lee-way for their terrestial Football coverage, aparently...:rolleyes: But as BBCi didn't exist then-it wouldn't be included.

It is in Skys financial interest here in ROI to maximise the number of people who have to subscribe to their sports channels to get a good interactive service.
    Setting this precedent is one way of doing that.
    Allowing all and sundry to be available to ROI via BBC i would damage Sky sports.

We will have to pay more for certain BBCi that could be classified as full repeats/highlights or the BBC will have to pay UK licence money to clear the rights in a foreign country.
    And they ain't going to do that :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭Tarabuses

As soon as the World Cup coverage ended the interactive service was back. Is someone sitting there with a switch or is it pre-programmed?

I doubt if Sky are doing this without the BBC's knowledge. What is needed is contact with someone who knows what is happening and is prepared to explain why.

The BBC know about this as they mention it on their Web Site. The link is posted earlier in this thread.

Originally posted by madman
    There was no BBCi when 214 and 215 appeared at first on the EPG here

there was. i remember having a look at it the morning BBC1 went on the EPG

• Advertisement

Mossy,
    By BBCi , I am referring to drop down menu access to news/sports heads and weather as well as world cup and wimbledon.
    BBCi did not exist on Sky digital when 214 and 215 started.
    mm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

Why do these threads keep going round in circles ?
    Sky's service in the ROI is not and probably never will be the same as the service in the UK, because like it or not, the UK is their major target market and the ROI isn't. They have entered the ROI market by default because Ireland didn't have a Sat service and was wide open to, if you like, "plundering" by Sky Television.
    The extra paid on the subs is not for all BBC Services.
    It is to clear the rights for BBC1 and BBC2 to be supplied to the ROI, again this will only go so far and can't cover all programming because other companies hold the ROI rights.
    To keep going on at the SKY/BBC is pretty pointess, would you rather they pulled BBC1 and 2 and replaced them with World and Prime ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Yes, BBC Prime is a lot better than the arce about face version of bbc1 ni thats being dumped on good paying customers of $ky,. I have it here via hotbird.
    At least is a full service and no bull****.

Originally posted by telecinesk
    Yes, BBC Prime is a lot better than the arce about face version of bbc1 ni thats being dumped on good paying customers of $ky,. I have it here via hotbird.
    Fair point....but I don't think most people would want prime instead of one and two:D ;)

srb-you are 100% correct in what you say, further if we in ROI want the extra BBC services , we will have to pay for them.
    There is another way of course....we could lobby for re-unification with Britain:D
    As citizens of the United Kingdom of Gt Britain and all Ireland, we would be entitled:D
    mm

i was using BBCi text todau and i looked in the video news menu. In there was 5 options. The 5th option was called live plus and showed the world cup phone-in that runs on BBCi in the evenings.

so we can watch that yet not any reruns of the games. Its loking more and more like FIFA.

I think the BBC are disapointed to cut the service in the republic of ireland because its looks bad for them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭SRB

==============================================
    If it wasn't for BBC1 NI you wouldn't have any BBC1 at all. Somehow I doubt Scotland/Wales or England would be too bothered about being carried in ROI !
    People can always subscribe to Prime if they want, though the different Sat position and Cam is probably why they don't market in ROI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Why cant either the BBC or Sky just come 'out' and give the reason why interactive has been withdrawn, if its FIFA or whatever, At least we would know and thats the end of it. They are acting like Ionrod Eireann., when a train is late they dont bother to tell you when its going to arrive!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 ssmith

Hi Guys,
    I have been reading these for a few months now without posting, but i was so annoyed with bbc/sky /fifa that i have joined in, is there someone that we can email? I have looked at their website, but it just sends you round in circles.:mad:

Originally posted by robert muldoon
    Why cant either the BBC or Sky just come 'out' and give the reason why interactive has been withdrawn, if its FIFA or whatever, At least we would know and thats the end of it. They are acting like Ionrod Eireann., when a train is late they dont bother to tell you when its going to arrive!!

The BBC web site has the following.

Why can’t I get World Cup Interactive via Sky in the Republic of Ireland?

The BBC cannot provide interactive World Cup coverage to Sky customers in the Republic of Ireland. This is due to rights restrictions. However, World Cup coverage on BBC One is available as normal.

They are not going to say that FIFA bossed them around and told them to take the interactive World Cup away from the Republic. I expect that we have got as much information as we are going to get.

Advertisement