Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to unlock a mobile - not robbed

• 13-06-2002 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

I've been trawling the internet looking for information about unlocking nokia phones but to no avail.

This I am well aware is an extremely touchy subject. It also seems to be the general consensus of this and other boards that when ppl post anything like this it generally means that they've found or robbed a handset and want to use a different network then the one the handset is locked into.

This, believe it or not, is not the case.

The story is this. My girlfriend got a new phone - 5310 - one with the radio - for work, and gave me her "old" 8210 phone to use. ( nice one ) Only trouble is, this phone is locked to the 086 network, and typically my phone number is an 087 number.

Now I don't wish to ask you ppl for an unlock code or equivilent. Simply I wish to know what is the best way to go about getting my sim to work in this phone. I believe with most nokia phones, unfortunately not the 8210, you can get a "Data Cable" which hooks the phone up to your serial port and with the help of the handset manager you can unlock the phone.

I don't have a laptop and in that respect I'm some what fecked when it comes to using the infrared in a similar fashion.

As such, can somebody please advise what my best solution is ?

Much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Jambo

I got a few cables from www.commshop.co.uk - cheapest around the have software to download on the site but there is plenty more on the web - shoud get a data cable too to do logos and ringtones -and use the software logomanager - you can copy and paste logos form sites like dialaring.com - you have to pay for that software but look at astalavista.com and there is loads of hacks there for it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭BioHazRd

Angel, I would edit your post before the mods get onto you - you sholdn't be posting links to that sort of site here:(
    Also - if software is any good - it is worth paying for

Don't know what happened there !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭Ruaidhri

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

Originally posted by BioHazRd
    Angel, I would edit your post before the mods get onto you - you sholdn't be posting links to that sort of site here:(
    Also - if software is any good - it is worth paying for

dont buy software the ones u can dl for free are just as good
    whats wrong with the site ? also the box.sk one is mutch better site .

• Advertisement

Originally posted by elexes

dont buy software the ones u can dl for free are just as good
    whats wrong with the site ? also the box.sk one is mutch better site .

Personally, I agree, sometimes the free software is a lot better. But if you find a piece of software that you will use and it requires a reg. key, I still say buy it - Don't try to hack / crack it.

My main problem was with this line in Angels post
    you have to pay for that software but look at astalavista.com and there is loads of hacks there for it

This is clearly advocating the cracking of software (specifically logomanager) - he is not suggesting that Stinkah goes in search of the free software.

I don't want to go on about this. but I was hoping that angel_of_death would edit his post before it became a discussion point (bear in mind he is a newbie)- seems I'm too late :(

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

Hi again folks,

Have been away for a while, but thought I'd thank angel for that commshop link.

I think I've found a cable that might help. It's here as "Engineering Lead and Software for use with Nokia 8210"

Question now is, does anybody now anywhere in Ireland that might have such a cable ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

As far as i know, if you (or your gf in this case) have spent more than 127euro on the phone in credit. You are able to ring up digiphone and ask for the network unlock code and instructions on how to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

if she got the phone lejit in the first place and its more than 6 months old all you have to do is ring DigiPhone/O2 and ask for an unlocak code for the phone. they actually are obliged to give it to you as you own the phone(or your girlfirend does).

They look for a few details - IMIE number which can typically be found behind the battery, your name and address, and the last 5 calls made from the phone (i.e the last 5 calls from the sim card that originally came with it).

This definately works as i bought a phone from stephen that was 086 locked and he was able to unlock it with a quick call to esat/o2.

Hope this helps, as its by far the easiest way to go :)

Regards,

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Stinkah

Sweet Paul,

thanks.

Was dodging this as I recall having problems about 2 years ago with something like this.

Regards,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Stinkah i actually gave away some nokia flasher cables to a boards member recently... so your a little late but you could have had them for free if your post had been a couple of weeks earlier!
    I got them from www.silvercom.co.uk so try there, about £18 for a flasher cable though i would suggest a data cable instead as that way you can also do ringtones and logos.

Advertisement