Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help get Gamesmaster back on TV!!!!

Options
  • 13-06-2002 9:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Thats right,the greatest games show of all time may be making a return!

Extract from report:
    The most pant wetingly brilliant news in 4 years is that our good friends at Hewland International have agreed to make a brand new series of GamesMaster! .....providing Channel 4 will commision it. Yes, the show that started a generation of youths to go around calling everything "pants" is finally coming back to our screens!

So all you have to do is go to the gamesmaster fan website,and sign the petition!Thats all,it will take you a minute at most,and by doing this you can bring gamesmaster back!Just got to the gamesmaster fansite at http://www.gamesmastertv.co.uk and fill in the petition!then get your mam dad granny dog friends neighbours and veryone you see to fill it in!Gamesmaster must return,i cant stomach much more of the crap games shows on TV today.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,581 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

OR we could try and get a games programme that isn't pants on the telly! You know... one that doesn't show socially inept spotty teenagers playing games really badly?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Gamesmaster while one of the first mainstream games shows to air, sucked ass. The world has moved on. Patrick Moore with his face altered in real-time isn't funny any more. Shows like Thumbbandits and that one with the cute chicks are funny, give good reviews (sort of) and are generally inclusive of that ellusive quality called "entertainment".

But if Gamemaster does come back, I think Rob should be on it and be made to wear a bandana. Now, that's what i'd call entertainment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Kairo

Wasn't that that program with that big, ugly disproportioned head?

He scared me :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,373 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Bits was dire apart from the birds. I miss Dominik Diamonds end of show food related sex joke. BRING BACK GAMESMASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Originally posted by amp
    Shows like Thumbbandits and that one with the cute chicks are funny, give good reviews (sort of) and are generally inclusive of that ellusive quality called "entertainment".

While the content of thumbbandits is good, it`s overall patrionisation is unbearble with it`s young cool hip trendy buzzword sorta way.

You don`t have to swear to make something cool.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

But if Gamemaster does come back, I think Rob should be on it and be made to wear a bandana. Now, that's what i'd call entertainment.

Haha :)

Dave "Bandana" Perry actually used to write a weekly thing for CTW while I was working there...

I'm talking to a few different people about doing some work on games tv shows in the future, but sadly none of them involve me presenting them - in a bandana or otherwise :)

Oh, and your chances of getting GamesMaster back on telly are pretty poor, since Channel 4 have just decided that Thumb Bandits is to be decommissioned... And frankly, yeah, it sucked a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Thumbandits ****ing SUCKED. Iain Lee is officially Not Funny Anymore (not that he was even very good in the 11 o'clock show).
    And don't even get me started on Bits. Seriously.

Gamesmaster was a bit of fun because of the novelty, but ultimately pants. Bad Influence was the daddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Strangely enough I find Cybernet decent watching, pity they changed the presenter.

It gives me what I want, ie. a look at new games in action without adding puerile humour and annoying presenters.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

I can't say I've ever seen any decent computer games shows on telly... and GamesMaster was probably the worst of the pile. It was shite.

If they were to bring it back (and I don't think they should!), it'd have to be radically better than it was for it to last any amount of time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭chernobyl

Originally posted by Bard
    I can't say I've ever seen any decent computer games shows on telly...

Gameover?
    Not really the format you are discussing but it was an excellent show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

trying to please nerds is the ultimate achievment for any video games orientated show. bits came close to it because they had some rather lenghty footage of games and short quick attempts at humour. and those three chicks too. thumbbandits was a waste of time aimed at ladish nerds who just came back from a pub on friday evening. didnt work at all. gamesmaster had patrick moore. that kept the show going for some time.

the only video game show i can watch now is the game network channel on digital satellite. they are so bad, its unreal. for example, they would be constantly showing footage of games with original audio muted and with some cheese 80's rock music like the scorpions or even ac/dc playing in the background. ruined my total expectations of MSG2 altogheter.

any new games shows would be welcome. the ones with Shinji wearing a bandana especially.

adnans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

Bits was a class show...Emily Bouffante was dead sexy

And at least they took the píss out of themsleves and were relitively incisive in their reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Omg, I remember loving games master to bits (apart from when that greasy black haired mong dexter fletcher was presenting, dom owned it)

Maybe it was because I was a little bit young and just fascinated by comp games (i was so poor i only had a shoe-box with some grey paint on it and a piece of string, used to pretend it was a NES) and also the fact that it was the only thing on the box at the time to do with gaming. also liked the odd time patrick moore took the piss out of kids asking for cheats on tetris.

as for thumbbandits, smb tbh. ok, it does cover the games, and id do ur one, but it just tries to hard in a lame way sometimes and your man tries to be over-funny and it ends up being crap. only thing i like about it is the way they take the mickey out of that reviewer that works in the games shop and yore ones low cut tops (yum)

all in all, bring back the gamesmaster golden joystick tbh
    s1_10.jpg

ps.
    s3_3.jpg
    eeek! omg teh nightmares[IMG][/img]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

Gamesmaster was a great show in its time.
    The teatime slot and skimpily clad angels made it ideal for kids to sit dad in front of the telly and explain what this whole consol thing was about and why they needed one.As a marketing tool it was fantastic.
    The show had run its course by series three,despite being at the time the most popular Games Show ever.Dominic Diamond saw the writing was on the wall for the series and jumped ship.I didnt think that dexter fletcher was that bad a host,it was just the format had run its course and the new set was dire

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Originally posted by Sico
    Thumbandits ****ing SUCKED. Iain Lee is officially Not Funny Anymore (not that he was even very good in the 11 o'clock show).
    And don't even get me started on Bits. Seriously.

Gamesmaster was a bit of fun because of the novelty, but ultimately pants. Bad Influence was the daddy.

You're probably right Sico, but there's something about yer wan in TB that just get's me all moist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Celt

Originally posted by amp

You're probably right Sico, but there's something about yer wan in TB that just get's me all moist.
    I think we can all guess what "something" you referring to ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Gamesmaster was quite good for its time. Its the only games show i've ever seen that actually said if games were sh1te or not. I suppose that the games business has gotten alot bigger since then, but you can no longer find a magazine/show etc. that will even dare say something sucks for fear of never getting pre-release games again to review.

Gamesmaster and the vast majority of the staff of nintendo (before it became nintendo magazine system - stupid name), that being, radeon (bloke with half a head of hair) and jaz rignall, were the last time i remember being told that a game was definetly "pants" and not worth even renting. Any show that would be willing to do that again would be great.

Poach jaz rignall from that job he has in the states with virgin or whoever it is now and ya might get a show that has some sorta integrity.....
    As for bits, www.bouff.tv, cashing in, such a sorry and sad thing to see, lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

Originally posted by Celt

I think we can all guess what "something" you referring to ;)

i'd have to agree with both of you there. was the only reason i actually watched that show.

was nicer though with bits when there were 3 but still a pance show in comparison to the old skooledness of gamesmaster.

but you must admit, both timeslots for bits and tb were ideal for a session after all that "friday night chat" in fortress.ie :winks:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

That Italian games show (Games Network?) on Skaye Diggitell is gas.
    Total trash :)
    Repitions of the smae obscure NeoGeo RPG import with Kylie Minogue played over it does irk me some......

Cybernet was good allright though.
    Nice, fast succint mix.
    Watched mine dubbed over on TG4. Was essential viewing for a while, in between roaring incredulously at the shíte being spewed forth by the foetuses (foetusi?) with net access on Aertel's GameZone...........

"Console War" my soggy kacks....

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Does anyone remember the show that Sky One had about 10 years ago ?? They ran it Monday to Friday as a kind of games competition, hosted by Bob Mills (where is he now?) and had stupid characters called 'videators' who were supposed to be the ultimate games players.... Some of them even got spin-off shows because they were ... umm... so popular (!?!). Remember Big Boy Barry ?? :rolleyes:

The prizes at the end of each series were pretty good, though.... arcade cabs, latest consoles, loads of games etc....

As for Games Network, don't get me started! 80% advertising, 20% content (if you can call it content!). Their latest scam is an onscreen chat facility, where kids SMS messages to a premium rate number, and the messages appear on screen.

"Mum, my phone is out of credit"
    "AGAIN ????"

- Dave.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭bugs

Gamesworld... heheh yeah i remember that, it was at its peak when it was on 5 days a week at 6:30. After they obviously realised that no one that mattered to their advertising were watching i presume they decided that it would be better suited for about 7am once or twice a week.
    I think the only thing i really remember about it was crap games they played and how rubbish their videogame masters were.

Advertisement