Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email Programs

Options
  • 13-06-2002 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭

I'm presuming that this post has a place here as you guys probably use email clients more then most, anyhoo...

I've used Outlook Express for several years now, and was quite happy with it, but what does everyone else use for their everyday emailing needs? I struggled with Eudora for a while recently, and gave up with it because of too many bugs. Now I'm looking for something else, I think going back to the 'ol OE would be giving in.

I've downloaded two programs to test, but can't continue to try every one, so more reviews would be welcome...
    1) IncrediMail - a very colourful program with every fancy doo-dah you'd ever need, and some. It even has one of those "You've got mail!" female voices :D
    2) Calypso - plain-looking, but is very powerful. Many *useful* features including email archiving, and powerful searching on emails, and overall, very fast!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭steve-hosting36

OE 2002 - does the job and does it without a prob :)

Steve

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I've been using "The Bat" for about 9 months now, and I wouldn't use anything else...

http://www.ritlabs.com/the_bat/

(Stupid name, great program!)

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 socialretard

incredimail is just a frilly version of oe

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'd go for any OE, simply because it has more features than most. That said, you forget to turn off that preview thing which risks you for viruses. If you tend to use loads of different computers, and your mailbox can be accessed from any computer, there's a little proggy called popcorn, that is a client that works with mail on the server, ie it doesn't d/l it first. It's only about 500kb, so you can carry it around on a floppy, and will let you specify multiple accounts/people. I find it really handy when the apps server goes down in college, and it doesn't take a chunk out of my college HD space. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Eudora is my choice, as it offers features that none of the Microsoft products do , such as apop and tone filtering etc.
    You get all the advantages of MS Outlook or Outlook Express without the high risks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Eudora bugs?!

What version did u use?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I haven't had any problems with Eudora's latest release. Any problems I've had have been due to people trying to send very odd code in their messages

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭regi

From what I've seen, IncrediMail leaves this twitching, annoying animated gif at the bottom of every mail you send with it... eep!

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭peterd

Eudora has problems with XP. Crashes left right and centre :( I've become very attached to calypso for it's speed and many features, but unfortunately the developers have stopped improving it further, but it's a very nice program as it stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭MindPhuck

Pegasus Mail. Ive been using it for years. Its the dogs.

http://www.pmail.com/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,695 ✭✭✭b20uvkft6m5xwg

Hey Peter,
    if you just want a sound played when you recieve mail then just change your "new mail notification" in the Sounds Control Panel. I'm sure on wavcentral.com, you'd be able to get a nice feminine voice ;)

--
    As for me I use OE and even switched back to it from Outlook. I'm very happy with it :)

BTW, here's my new mail notication sound. Cricket fans will recognise the voice and the irony of the sound :)
    http://www.boards.ie/members/80project/new-mail-richie-benaud.wav
    --
    Edited Link

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Pablo

good old PINE or ELM forever !

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Netscape Mail AND/OR Pine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Poco Mail! Does everything the others do and more! Allows to check mail on server. Handy for deleting that 10 MB file blocking everything else. Extensive filtering with option to delete on server. I've been using it for almost 2 years now.

http://www.pocomail.com
    Cheers

does the pocomail license include unlimited updates? or is their an annual fee or something?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

I use the email client in Opera. Fast, no bullsh1t, just emails in and emails out. Plus it automatically gets checked every 2 minutes (which can be customised).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Originally posted by peterd
    does the pocomail license include unlimited updates? or is their an annual fee or something?

So far the licence was valid for all updates (from 2.0 to 2.6). I'm not sure if it will be valid for all new versions, though

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Still with Outlook.

I don't like OE at all, though I do use it for newsgroups when I bother.

I've stuck with Outlook in every version, even 98

I like v2002, though TBH I don't see many advantages from 2000 (plus there's one major disadvantage when POP3 comes into play)

Some magazine (must have been PCW or PC Plus) did a review of email clients last month. They loved Pegasus. I can scan the reviews for you if you're interested (it's 8 pages or so)

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭nahdoic

I used outlook express for ages - then got a terrible self-opening attachment i.e. one you just need to open the e-mail itself, then it exploits and MSIE mime type vulnerability to automatically launch the attachment so I then switched to pegasus. Pegasus is good - but I found it a little cumbersome to use. Now i use opera's mail client - very handy, very easy to use.

I think I got the same mag, it was something like netmag special(?) I installed several of the mail programs to play around with. Ended up using Pocomail, cos it's just nice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭anthonymcg

Originally posted by peterd
    Eudora has problems with XP. Crashes left right and centre :( I've become very attached to calypso for it's speed and many features, but unfortunately the developers have stopped improving it further, but it's a very nice program as it stands.

Eh...no. Eudora is fully compatible with XP and I've been using it for months without one crash. Must just be your installation, try and re-install it.

Installed it from disk, and downloaded it. Even Eudora don't seem to be sure with its compatibility: http://eudora.com/techsupport/win/
    Windows XP Compatibility - While we have not had any verified issues with Eudora and the recent release of Microsoft Windows XP, we are still currently testing Eudora with Windows XP. We do not have a time frame for when testing will be completed. If you do find any issues that you believe are specific to Eudora and Windows XP, please send a description of the issue to eudora-bugs@qualcomm.com.

Advertisement