Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap in the news again

Options
  • 14-06-2002 11:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

From today's Irish Times:

"A new broadband internet service offering speeds of up to one megabyte per second is being offered to businesses in Dublin city centre. Leap Broadband's service will be available to 30,000 businesses in the city centre for EUR 199 per month, providing unlimited access to the internet by any number of users. A service aimed at home workers is also being provided with speeds of up to 512 Kbps, costing EUR 99 per month"

Does anyone know what wireless technology Leap are using? The CPE cost might be quite high if its proprietary (think Cisco).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,396 ✭✭✭ando

Originally posted by niallsmart
    costing EUR 99 per month"

wonder if that includes vat?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Nope, its 99 PLUS VAT
    .cg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

Hi

Has anybody seen this product working on a customer site.???

Does it deliver 1Mb or .5Mb as promised. How far out?

Is it not in the 'non-commercial' 802.11b 2.4Ghz band, and if so how did Leap get a licence?

Rgds

M

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'll tell you on Tuesday :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭spongebob

look forward to an analysis of this alternative.

hopefully you are not right under the transmitter either

M

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭BoneCollector

i gave them a call yesterday and they say there is a 3km radius limit
    and they say there hub is in the city centre reaching upto around baggot st dublin as a margin.

They also say the transmiter receiver is about the size of a laptop.
    and speed is up 512k both ways.
    and most important! (NO CAP! FLAT RATE 24/7) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Gaz

I am trialing leaps wireless connection , its 512k. The transmitter is a small flat box fitted to the roof. You need line of sight to there transmitter though , I dont see this as being a viable option for the home user but it is a great option over adsl for businesses provided you are within range

Advertisement