Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad Time John

Options
  • 14-06-2002 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Anybody know why the rather monotonously
    dull Good Time John seem to be support
    for every gig I go to at the moment.

I mean I can see why they might play
    support Giant Sand... but i mean support to
    Television and MUM... come on... there's far
    better and more appropriate local talent out there, wouldnt you say??

At least they aint surrpoting the D4 in
    Whelans next week.... although BP Flagon
    spins the discs afterwards....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭Lolo

It seems to happen like that in Dublin from time to time, one particualr band/artist gets to play support to every single international act. 2 years go it was Kittser, and I remember back in the day it was the Whipping Boy. I actually missed a couple of good support bands thinking "nah, I won't come early, I'll only have to sit through the bloody Whipping Boy again".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Jim Daniels

Ah yes, Whipping Boy..

I remember seeing them support Nick Cave in the SFX years ago, 1990 or something, it was Nick's "Good Son" tour. Anyway it was pre heartworm and Whipping Boy were doing their noisy Sonic Youth thing and in the process Fergal McGee duly wrecked Nick's favourite Microphone stand. The big man wasn't happy but played a stormer all the same.

Jubilee Allstars were pretty much everywhere for a while too.
    They've kind of disappeared now though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭Ed

well, i like goodtime john, but just be ****ing thankful that the days of the chicks supporting every band that came to ireland are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dathi1

they should just show short films instead. Could be worse...remember female ffnn hercules.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭joss

Bizarrely enough, ended up talking the yarns with BP Fallon after Love last night.
    Alan from the Last Post got him to sign Dudley's Led Zeppelin book on the page he was mentioned, which I thought was good.
    Love were amazing, I thought.
    What a voice that man has.

• Advertisement

Originally posted by dathi1
    they should just show short films instead. Could be worse...remember female ffnn hercules.

I like Female Hercules! Okay, so their sound hasn't exactly progressed since they started out, but they're good at what they do (and were doing the 60s garage punk thing before it was trendy I might add).

Saw Love in the Queen Elizabeth Hall on Friday night - well, Arthur Lee with Baby Lemonade, I do think it's a bit cheeky to be billing themselves as Love - they were fantastic. We just got in by the skin of our teeth, it was sold out months ago, but we went along anyway and happened to meet somebody selling tickets.
    And I got a Love mug!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭joss

They had mugs!
    Noooo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

i actually quite enjoyed good time johns set at múm in spirit... as much as you can enjoy something that slow. although i suppose you couldnt really have a lively band opening for múm tho in fairness.

Originally posted by joss
    They had mugs!
    Noooo!

And keyrings too, and knickers! (I kid you not, they had Love pants - they were thongs though, and I don't do thongs). I think they might have totally sold out of mugs the night we saw them.

I enjoyed Good Time John the night I saw him too, but I don't know if I'd like to see him again and again.

David Kitt's coming over here soon for a spate of ubiquitous-support-slot action, playing with Mercury Rev, Beth Orton and the Moldy Peaches.

Advertisement