Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

gfx ram from ram

Options
  • 14-06-2002 12:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭

i have on-board graphics and was told that i could take mb from my ram and add it to the gfx card..(its an 8mb SiS btw:cool: )
    would this increase it's performance(fps etc...)?
    how do i do it anyways??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

lol I don't know what your trying to do but upgrade your graphics card for the love of god

You can pick up something decent for 150 euro atm man....what is this madness, it might up your fps by .0005 if your lucky :p

Where do you plan on getting the ram to upgrade it anyway?

The last card I saw that had upgradeable ram is some hunk of junk ati with about 12 slots for ram of which only 2 are filled.....Dinosaurs, prehistoria et al.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I think you mean changing the amount of shared memory. If you ant to go down this road go ahead. Buying a decent gfx card will be the best solution but there are a couple of things you try in the bios. Enter your bios and under the Advanced Chipset Features try changing a couple of things(one ant a time)

But in all fairness this is probably a waste of time and cache(no pun)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

It's possible your friend was talking about using system RAM to supplement your graphics card RAM.

In fact, it's probably doing it at the moment. Fiddle around with the AGP Aperture Size setting in the BIOS if you want, but you'll probably just be wasting your time to be honest.

AGP Aperture size is set by the formula : maximum usable AGP memory size x 2 plus 12MB. That means that usable AGP memory size is less than half of the AGP aperture size. That's because the system needs AGP memory (uncached) plus an equal amount of write combined memory area and an additional 12MB for virtual addressing. This is address space, not physical memory used. The physical memory is allocated and released as needed only when Direct3D makes a "create non-local surface" call.

I don`t think changing this is gonna help, also disable video cache and bios cache.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I don't understand what you're saying. I was able to increase my AGP aperture size from 64Mb to 128Mb in my BIOS (to try and get a 3DMark2000 test running on my old GeForce2 MX).

I'm just after reading the first post properly now... didn't realise it was an onboard "card" :)

The onboard "card" uses system memory all the time. If it's an 8Mb card, it means it reserves 8Mb of system RAM. It may be possible to increase this (and I'd hope it did it automatically) but I don't know. You should post up your motherboard specs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Why do you disable cacheing of video and system BIOS?
    There's nothing wrong with leaving em cached, unless you have like 8megs of system ram total.
    Caching the Video Ram on the other hand is a waste of time.

System BIOS Cacheable

This feature is only valid when the system BIOS is shadowed. It enables or disables the caching of the system BIOS ROM at F0000h-FFFFFh via the L2 cache. This greatly speeds up accesses to the system BIOS. However, this does not translate into better system performance because the OS does not need to access the system BIOS much.

As such, it would be a waste of L2 cache bandwidth to cache the system BIOS instead of data that are more critical to the system's performance. In addition, if any program writes into this memory area, it will result in a system crash. So, it is recommended that you disable System BIOS Cacheable for optimal system performance.

Video BIOS Cacheable

This feature is only valid when the video BIOS is shadowed. It enables or disables the caching of the video BIOS ROM at C0000h-C7FFFh via the L2 cache. This greatly speeds up accesses to the video BIOS. However, this does not translate into better system performance because the OS bypasses the BIOS using the graphics driver to access the video card's hardware directly.

As such, it would be a waste of L2 cache bandwidth to cache the video BIOS instead of data that are more critical to the system's performance. In addition, if any program writes into this memory area, it will result in a system crash. So, it is recommended that you disable Video BIOS Cacheable for optimal system performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

Do you have anything to offer except pasting from adrians rojaks site?

http://www.rojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz/BIOS_Guide/BIOS_Guide_02b.htm

http://www.rojakpot.com/Speed_Demonz/BIOS_Guide/BIOS_Guide_02c.htm

Shouldn't really go around pasting stuff without linking to or somehow crediting the authors.

Are you nothing more than an annoying muppet.

Why link when its only a small amount of text and probably beniefits people.

Why don`t you get back to your little games with the celtic tiger

• Registered Users Posts: 4,432 ✭✭✭Gerry

It's always nice to be appreciated.

• Advertisement

Gerry is right.
    What you did is Plaguerism.
    Are you nothing more than an annoying muppet.

He has much more respect on these boards then you have at this moment, and taht respect was earned though being the exact opposite of what you describe him as.
    I think if someone were to be spammy/pedantic enough as to post a poll on the subject, it is you who would be declared the muppet.
    Think before you type.
    Why link when its only a small amount of text and probably beniefits people.
    Be cause the person who wrote it took the time and effort to do so, to help people for no material gain, and as such is entitled to be accredited the help given.
    "Duh!"

Regarding the Bios shadowing:
    I was previously under the idea that the BIOS was shadowed in the main ram, not the L2 cache.
    It does make a difference in retrospect.
    Thank you for your copy+paste skills.

Go Gerry Go Gerry Go Gerry Go Gerry!

Lighten up folks, tis only a bit of fun.

Ok maybe i over stepped the mark etc.

Humble apologies all round

Nice to see :)

Advertisement