Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CPU multiplier

• 09-08-2001 9:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭

Just installed a 1.2ghz athlon t-bird and I'm having some difficulties overclocking it to 1.4ghz, this is one of ocuk's modded cpu's guaranteed to 1.4ghz (had no problems with them before). The board is an abit KT7a.

Now I've set the fsb to 133mhz; and the multiplier to 10.5, to give 1400mhz. The system boots ok and registers the change. But when win2k starts the system freezes after about a minute.

I dont think it's a temperature issue since the cpu runs happily at 1200mhz, Idling at about 25C and 41C when under heavy load. But the same problem arises when the multiplier is set to 9.5 giving 1266mhz.

It seems to be some problem with multipliers over 9 :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭d4r3n

what HSF do u have on it?

[This message has been edited by d4r3n (edited 09-08-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,518 ✭✭✭Hecate

It's a Thermoengine 4210 with arctic silver II thermal compound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

A machine I built a while ago, with a 1 gig axia from ocuk, gives almost identical symptoms when the multiplier is raised. I suspect that ocuk's job on the l1 bridges may not be up to scratch. So you may need to peel off that sticker, and join the dots yourself. Conductive ink is best, though you can try a sharp soft lead pencil. Good eyesight and/or magnifying glass and steady hand required smile.gif

Yeah a couple of people I've been talking to irc said it might be a bad mod.

Although the funny thing is it seems to exhibit these syptoms even when I run at 1266mhz (133x9.5). Linux also runs perfectly fine at 1.4ghz, but I dont know how it handles problems like this; I might install Win98 on a separate partition just to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Have you tried using a lower FSB and higher multiplier/FSB+ setting? Maybe it's your ram, or the Bridge is overheating.

A few weeks back I posted here about the problems I was having with Win2k. After many software patches I eventually got it to stability....for about half an hour of gaming and then it would crash. The CPU (1ghz overclocked to 1.2) would reach 45c max. I lowered it to 1148 (133/33+2*8.5) and all is fine. The CPU still maxes at 45c, and runs perfectly at 1.2 under win98.
    Odd.
    Perhaps it's similar to how Quake2 would crash many an overclocked Voodoo2 back in it's day, whereas every other game would run perfectly. Win2k seems to be less forgiving than Win9x for overclocked CPUs.

[This message has been edited by _CreeD_ (edited 11-08-2001).]

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I too have the OCUK 1.2Ghz Athlon which I have been unable to run at 1.4Ghz.
    I am running Win98 OSR2 and have similar symptoms to Hecate ie. my PC will boot fine and register the clock speed as 1.4Ghz but the system just freezes when Win98 starts loading.
    I am currently running at 1.365Ghz with no probs at all (very stable), but this seems to be as high as I can go.

The temperatures I'm getting seem to be very good, it idles at about 25C and the hottest it's gotten is 41C; thats after 45mins of max payne and some mp3 encoding.

I think what gerry says is probably right; it's just a badly modded cpu. I've heard that ocuk's testing process isn't very extensive ie: "If it posts, it's ok".

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll give some of them a try and send the cpu back if none of them work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

Hmm, I thought they had copped on, obviously not. A few months ago I bought a tbird 1 gig from them, guaranteed to 1.2. It ran 1170mhz stable. Since I had promised the customer a 1.2 gig machine, I was not happy, and sent the chip back. They would only let me send it back after sending me a few patronizing emails, saying that my testing methods, (eg prime95 and quake3) were rubbish. I of cours e said that their testing wasn't up to scratch. They sent back a chip which runs 1265 happily.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

I think I'll get on to them about a replacement for mine too.
    I don't really fancy doing the following:

So you may need to peel off that sticker, and join the dots yourself. Conductive ink is best, though you can try a sharp soft lead pencil.

Advertisement