Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

winamp voice recognition?

• 13-08-2001 1:07am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭

i have my laptop hooked up to my stereo system here, and when i'm on the couch watching tv i would like to be able to mute the tv and let winamp play on the laptop during ads without having to get up

is there anyway i could shout and make it play and shout again and make it stop? i'm guessing this is a longshot... but i have heard of some nice voice recognition they use in games

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

There is commercial (ie, expensive) software you can get, which afaik you can program to do certain tasks on voice command, such as to run a program. I'd hazard a guess that software like this could be used to control winamp via winamp's keyboard shortcuts (ie, b = next track, and so on)

- Munch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭Farls

shouting the puter is all well in good but dunno if it would recognise the auld Cavan accent i happen to have..lol

You've not got me thinking tho, i have a mate over in Scotland who has cable and an always on connection so when hes at work or away from home he has his puter wired upto his fish tank in some mad way so that it is able to feed them anyways he can go onto any pc, load on a simple program called VNC and log onto his computer at home and have full use of it eventho he might be the far side of the world and still feed his fishy friends. I'm not sure how this works but he was telling me that if you were really into it you could set it up to turn on off your lights or your tv/stereo...pretty cool like.

btw. if your anywhere near your laptop when your on the sofa lying back watching tv just use the tv remote to mute it and get an infa-red mouse for the laptop...its the most cost effective suggestion i can think off.

very interesting topic tho

Farls

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Farls, I think you have to "train" most of these voice recognition programs to the sound of your voice, so that Cavan accent shouldn't be a problem wink.gif

- Munch

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭Lucutus

Easier option.

Get an IR Winamp plugin and use the IR on your laptop with your TV remote control. Use buttons you rarely use for your TV, like the video play, ff, rew buttons and map them to different Winamp functions.

Point at telly, works on that, point at laptop, feel the funk!

I did it with my desktop PC, this lil IR thingy and the winamp plugin to go with it...now I control my stereo and my mp3's with the one remote control.

http://www.evation.com/irman/index.html

Lucutus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Voice recognition on the pc isn't bad in a quiet environment, but having music in the background will make it pretty unreliable, defeating the purpose.

IR sounds the best route.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

i got a program in my work email that you will control winamp with ANY remote control. really easy to use too.

i dont use it anymore cuz i dont have a laptop with infa red...but its a small proggy that works with ANY remote control.

send me an email at work and i will send it to you.

yankinlk@munstercomputers.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭yankinlk

just in work now. yeah, i still have it and it still works.

it's freeware by the way, so if you email me i will galdly send you a copy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Lucutus:

http://www.evation.com/irman/index.html
    </font>

That's one of those "why didn't someone think of that earlier?" (or "why didn't I think of that earlier and patent it?" wink.gif ) ideas... might just get one myself, - seems incredibly handy - and the price is good too.

It's a US company - for speed of delivery and to have someone more local to deal with and get support from, you might be better off using their more local supplier, Electrone.com - ( http://www.electrone.com/infrared.htm ) who are asking £29.00stg for this handy little gadget (£34.08stg including VAT).

Bard
    'First motorbike in the bible ???? ---- a Triumph --- 'Yea verily Moses struck down the ammmanites and all the land heard the roar of his triumph !!!'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

nice one, that IR sounds great... theres an infra-red thing on this computer already, i haven't used it and i was told its for transferring data like a network card, so i'm wondering if that can be used for a remote control...
    anyway, i'll order that IRman, i can use it on a different comp if my existing infra red thing works.
    good stuff, ta luc

Advertisement