Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling Guilty

Options
  • 14-06-2002 6:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I am starting to feel very guilty about a descion i came to a couple of weeks ago. At the time i felt very strongly about it, so strongly in fact that i walked out of a job that many people would think would be a great job. The problem was i know my boss is a complete langer and i just dont like him. It all came to a head and i told him exactly what i thought about him and left.

Im starting to have second thoughts now. A few of my friends have suggested that i acted a bit childishly but i have my principles. I have heard that my boss hasnt missed me and that my collegues are glad im gone. i think they are two faced langers, because they used to agree with me when i asked them loudly what they thought.

Im not too worried as it was only summer/contract work anyway and my normal employer has told me in private that he doesnt care if i get fired from another job. The only problem is that im starting to miss the work and i think i could probably worm myself back in with the langer boss, What should i do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Don't go back, he'll just (ab)use you more. Get something else temporary until get get back to your main job. Abusive employers need to be stood up to (what did he do anyway?) - I did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

Dont go back whatever you do , you have to stick by your guns on this one , it`s a matter of principal , you need to show him and the rest of the two faced gobsh*tes that you dont need them . Whats the point in people that tell you one thing to your face and do another behind your back , anyway if you know you can worm yourself back in , well then this means that they need you more than you need them and they are keeping your position open , which leads me to believe you are a valuable employee who wont have difficulty getting work with some body who appreciates you . It may seem hard now but when you get a job where you are appreciated you will have the last laugh and the annoying boss will be kicking himself ! well thats what i think anyway and by the way fairplay for telling him what you thought of him because as they say your a long time dead , you sound like a straight talker which makes me think , i like the cut a your jib!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

is this anything to do with Roy Keane??
    I am starting to feel very guilty about a descion i came to a couple of weeks ago. At the time i felt very strongly about it, so strongly in fact that i walked out of a job that many people would think would be a great job.

Captining Ireland in the last 16 of the world cup
    The problem was i know my boss is a complete langer and i just dont like him. It all came to a head and i told him exactly what i thought about him and left.
    the usage of langer and what we know happened in that meeting
    Im starting to have second thoughts now. A few of my friends have suggested that i acted a bit childishly but i have my principles. I have heard that my boss hasnt missed me and that my collegues are glad im gone. i think they are two faced langers, because they used to agree with me when i asked them loudly what they thought.
    Quinn+the team
    Im not too worried as it was only summer/contract work anyway and my normal employer has told me in private that he doesnt care if i get fired from another job. The only problem is that im starting to miss the work and i think i could probably worm myself back in with the langer boss, What should i do?
    summer/contract work=play in the world cup
    normal employer=Alex Ferguson
    langer=another obscure cork reference

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

under no circumstances go back, you wouldn't be there 5mins when you would realise why you left in the first place.
    You were proud of yourself when you walked out, you did good, don't loose respect for yourself now. There are plenty more jobs out there with normal people.
    As M_Tilt - this is a lesson, next time you don't like where you work, just leave, but do it on better terms, just in case you change your mind sometime in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,025 ✭✭✭yellum

Yeah, sounds like Roy Keane. Well spotted Bullman. Another person taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

I think The_Bullman has hit the nail on the head.

Sure they wouldn't have you back anyway !

thanks lads.

thought that i was losing it again for a while

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

LOL, well spotted Bullman :).

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭n.catenthusiast

this seems like pragmatism versus idealism, and I think right now you can afford to stick to ideals. you don't need this job, and even if you did, in the economic climate we got going right now, it could everyones last chances to tell knobhead bosses where to get off.

Workers of Ireland, unite!, p1ss off managers and such forth....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

ah ffs, thought id have to follow that up a few times before someone copped it:)

gg bullman:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭l3rian

you should feel as guilty as much as the job is important, or the amount of hassle it causes, ie no reference from that job, is it your career or is it just part-time, have you been there long, i have wanted to do the same a few times in work, but usually keep my mouth shut, its easier to do so and shows that you are not concerned by the work $hit, and that your out-side work life is more important, did the boss physically hurt you? if not i think maybe you should have grinned and said whatever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Something

Guilt is good, without guilt the world would be a mess, so be happy that your guilty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I would never go back if I burned my bridges like that.

It just goes to show too how careful you have to be at times. People, even colleagues you think you can trust can often be quite two faced. I've seen cases where people can seem to agree with you that someone is an idiot and even lead you on to find out what you really think, while they are really just assholes.

You'll always find people in a company who don't have the best opinion of you. Most of you're coleagues are probably just being diplomatic and keeping their mouths shut about the situation leaving the less positice sentiments take over a bit. Some of them probably wish they had the balls to do something similar!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Interesting to see the people who post without bothering to read replies really:)

i was just letting them go at it meself dusty.

quite funny really

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

lol

More a case of not re-reading the origina post after the jokes.

Well written! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

10/10

Classic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

ROFL

Definite candidatefor Post of the Month - especially due to the follow ups

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

I second that!

- Or is it now called - Post of the Year?

• Advertisement
Advertisement