Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

StRaNgE DlOaDs!?!?!?

• 14-08-2001 1:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭

Not too sure if this is the right board to put this on but **** it i'm a tad worried about this.

Everytime i log onto the net a small icon appears beside my clock saying that im dloading something (not the two monitors smart alec's)when i leave my cursor over it a pop up says "installation" and so many per cent done...and when i clicked on it nothing would come up, i tried single clicking, double clicking even right clicking. When i right clicked i got the same pop up menu when i click on any part of the toolbar.

Anyways i ctrl+alt+del and closed down all open programs except explorer and it still wouldn't go away so i ran msconfig and turned off all my start up programs and it STILL ran when i restarted. I'm wondering is this little thing something to do with KaZaA because i made the mistake of letting my sister update it last night and god knows what she added on....or any ideas what on earth it is?...i just recently got rid of a massive scripting virus off of my puter and would hate another instance of something on those lines....any ideas?...quickly please

Farls

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,488 ✭✭✭SantaHoe

Mmmm, sorry if you've tried any of these already, but:
    • Check your startup folder
    • Check the "Load=" part of win.ini
    • Open regedit and check out the /Run /RunOnce /RunServices (etc.) keys in (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\)
    • Try booting up in Safe-Mode and see if it still comes up.
    • Run a virus-scan.
    • Maybe post a screen-shot of the icon, see if anyone recognises it as a known app.
    That's all I can think of for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

When you say you turned off all the startup programs do you mean everything, or just the ones you weren't sure of? Things like Norton AntiVirus (Which I know most people would leave in as it should be safe) can be set to auto-update silently whenever you connect to the web, though I'm sure it shouldn't do so every single time...

Otherwise it might be best to get hold of something like ZoneAlarm and see just where that info is coming from/going to. When I get home I'm going to get one of these Firewalls myself, more to keep an eye on the billions of app.s trying to send (Steal) personal information than prevent an outside attack.

Advertisement