Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IP hiding in IRC...

Options
  • 14-06-2002 7:45pm

Before everyone sees the subject and wonders for what reason I would like to know this info, it's NOT to do some wierd hacking thing on IRC.

I started IRC about two years ago, to see what it was like (internet experience at the time wasn't that extensive) and I liked IRC chat...but I found out that my IP address was available to all out there.

This doesn't usually bother me but on IRC, I felt strangely vulnerable and decided not to use it anymore.

But I'd like to get back into it, there's a wider audience than standard web-based chats and I was wondering if anyone how to hide your own IP address while using IRC.

ANy help would be great on this, Thanks.
    I'm in a very inquisitive mood this week. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Mixie

Not really too knowledgeable on the subject, but as far as I know - you can't? You can connect via another PC, then its IP would appear on IRC as yours... I can't remember the name for the piece of software I used to use, I'll have a rummage through my favourites later see if i can't find it, but it was free & easy to set up, and I could connect via SSH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Tomo-TBN

There are a number of ways to hide your ip via IRC, below I have listed a method that works quite well if the proxie is secure, please note if you dont actually have permission from the admin of the proxy you might land yourself in court. Ok firstly you will need a proxy your own of course if you wanted to break the law you could scan for a proxies with proxy hunter for windows or the anonymous PPScan for unix.

When u find a couple of proxies u can try them out to see if they are secure by putting them into your mirc settings like the image shows below, some proxies are not secure and barrysworld will kill your connections when you use them.

Another method widely used is by buying a shell account and using their fancy virtual hosts via various clients, google for info on this[Trojan: rm ADV].

proxy.jpgProxy Hunter ppscan.c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭oeNeo

You could get a BNC aswell, then your IP will only be known by the person who runs the BNC afaik. All other people will see is your Vhost.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭seanos

Certain networks have certain servers which hide sections of your IP.

so it will usually hide last 2 parts of IP ...
    XXX.XXX.???.???
    where ??? is part it hides.

Most networks have a couple of servers that implement this

Advertisement