Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Stop a renewed Ivory trade.

• 15-06-2002 4:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭

http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99992410

Elephants are some of the longest lived creatures on the planet and the ivory trade is one of the most superficial and repulsive trades in organisms that exists make sure you mail your local TD or make representations via email to the UN or any other pertinant entity to hinder the trade in ivory.

Never buy any ivory products and boycott in every instance a party or establishment that you suspect of trade in ivory products.

Is this you John Wayne? Is this me?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,748 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Couldnt agree more.I was in spain last week and went to a market in a local town.I couldnt believe the amount of illegal animal products at the stalls in the market(mostly african run)Ivory products,skins,coral,dried insects.One was even trying to sell live monkeys and was describing how to bring them back in your luggage-something about drugging them and putting them in your suit case so that they survive the flight.
    Disgraceful.Mind you they do still have bull fighting in spain.I could probably have expected it from there.Another barbaric "sport".
    As you say Typedef the only way to stop it is to report it to the European Parliament which is what I have done this week.I wont be visiting Spain for a long,long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Saboteur

I'm impressed. It's good to know that some people still give a **** about animals.
    But why just stop at the Ivory trade. What about the likes of Proctor and Gamble products that are tested on animals in Huntingdon Life Science? At least 500 animals are killed everyday through barbaric and torturous conditions, and for what? Profit?There are more reliable, cheaper ways of testing that doesn't involve cruelty to animals. Plus, an animals immune system is different to humans. Many animals that are tested in Huntingdon Life Science are captured in the wild, and are tortured in Labs. Especially monkeys.
    What about the Zoos and Circuses? Animals are taken from their homelands for the enjoyment of the human race. Elephants walk thousands of miles each year in the wild. Elephants in Circuses and Zoos show repetitive behaviour which is only shown by caged and unhappy animals. Is the Ivory trade any different than the Circuses or the Zoos?
    And as for Spain, they hang greyhounds from trees rather than put them down humanely. It's an ancient end of season tradition. A good hunting or racing dog will be hung high from tree so that it will die quickly. A dog that is a bad hunting or racing dog will have it's hind legs touching the ground, so that it's death is prolonged. This is done so that new dogs can be brought in for the next season. Between this and the bullfighting, it doesn't surprise me that the Spanish sell illegal products.
    But it's not only Spain that treat animals like **** for a sport. What about the favourite pastimes that are enjoyed by many Irish people, such as Harecoursing, Badger baiting, Lamping, Foxhunting, just to mention just a few? Is this any different than what is going on in other countries?
    We, as members of the human race, are the only ones that can protect the animals.

Advertisement