Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Firewalls and MP3s

• 15-06-2002 4:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭

Hi there! Where I work there is a very fast connection (around 200kb/s) but the downside is that my computer is firewalled. This means I can't avail of programs such as Audiogalaxy and Napster which AFAIK need to be allowed to send info back and forward to operate?

Anyway, I was wondering is there anyway to set up a program like Audiogalaxy on a computer that is firewalled cos it'd sure save me a lot of time messing around on the net if there was. Any suggestions are gratefully recieved.

Thanks for reading this!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

You're a bad boy Pigman:p. I spent almost 2 years keeping the likes of yourself from wasting their time (and our bandwidth) away on Napster.

Can't think of any way to overcome it, unless there's some way of tunnelling AudioGalaxy et al out on port 80 (which will never be blocked) - not aware of any method to do this though (I'm guessing the sysadmin has just taken the easy route and blocked specific ports).

DirectConnect can be configured to work on any port can't it?
    (defers to greater mortals on this one)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭TacT

Well there is a really easy way around this, you go to the sys admin and say "excuse me could you give me the details for the firewall or help me configure audiobandwidthsucker so I can leech your bandwidth and lag your telnet or other important apps you may need to run while I download some tunes please?" :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭Pigman

Originally posted by tactical anni
    Well there is a really easy way around this, you go to the sys admin and say "excuse me could you give me the details for the firewall or help me configure audiobandwidthsucker so I can leech your bandwidth and lag your telnet or other important apps you may need to run while I download some tunes please?" :rolleyes:

Thanks smartarse , but for your information the only time I was going to be d/l'ing anything is on Sunday mornings when when no-one is around anyway and the bandwidth isn't even being used.

Jeez, I just ask a an innocent question but without fail there's always one sarcastic ubergeek who has to come along to vent his 'personality' on us! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

Well you could HTTPtunnel the files (but it would be a lot slower). However I can't understand why audiogalaxy is not working for you, because it uses port 80. I know the little client on app that runs on your machine is possibly listening on port 50000, or something like that, but surely they wouldn't deny such services.

When I was in college, we had a T1, and eventhough they had pretty much every protocol blocked, I was still able to use audiogalaxy.

BTW HTTPtunneling software can be downloaded from here
    http://www.http-tunnel.com/HT_Products_HTTPTunnelClient.asp

HTH :)

;-phobos-)

Thanks for the ideas sceptre and phobos! I'll be sure to give them a try tommorow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,548 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you're just looking to do some leeching (and not sharing!), then you might want to give easynews a go (http://www.easynews.com).

They have a free 3 day trial. To register for it, you need to give your credit card number, and they will test to see if they can deduct $1 from it (but they won't actually do it).

I did the trial at the start of the month, and signed up for the full thing immediately after ($10 a month, 6gb download limit). I've downloaded quite a bit since the start of the month! :p

Plus, it looks like it uses standard HTTP ports, so as long as you can download from a regular site, you can download from here.

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

However I can't understand why audiogalaxy is not working for you, because it uses port 80.

To the best of my knowledge the Audiogalaxy satelite uses the FTP Port (21 out) to connect to the servers and perform other functions but the file downloads are performed on another range of incoming ports (41000-41999). FTP (21) in to your network is not required which is handy from a personal security standpoint.

http://www.oofle.com/iptables/filesharing.htm

If the correct range of ports are blocked by your sysadmin theres very little you can do bar maybe trying to get a friend to give you a shell account on a more favourably adminned linux server.

not trying to be smart but surely if the bandwidth is not doing anything the admin surely won't mind you leeching the bandwidth that's happily sitting there, I know I hate to see good hardware go to waste :p

My admin has a number of ports blocked and we are on a 2M/bit leased conn. He has no problems with me using the bandwidth as long as I don't saturate it during busy hours. I was being a bit mean but in fairness you may be quite surprised how friendly some admins can be in this respect. I'm sure if you do ask your administrator he won't have any problem in giving you more bandwidth or setting up a user a/c so you can use audiogalaxy or whatever it is you want. As opposed to the admin finding you using some http tunneler/whatnot to get around the security he has put in place (inadequate it may be) and finding GB's of storage space filled with mp3's in which case you could be landed in a sticky spot. gl gettin it to work :)

Thanks anni. Bascially I was just going to do a smash and grab. I've got a portible CDR drive so I was just going to D/L the list of about 500 files I'm after roast em and then bring em home where they'd be available to share to anyone on the net who wanted to get them off me. As such, the files would never be kept at work so there'd be no instance of the admins finding gig's of stuff on my harddrive. Hense if there was a way of keeping them out of my plans then I'd take it. I agree with you that it wouldn't look good if they found the tunneler but at the speeds I'm talking about I think I could probably get everything in one go and be done with it. I'm currently getting thru these files vvverrryyy slowly at home so I figured if I could do it a quicker way then it'd be worth taking the chance!

well as long as you make sure you don't turn into a hub you should be ok ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,432 ✭✭✭ando

man oh man, I just had a user that was downloading 'spiderman' the movie over the net connection, using practically all the bandwidth during business hours :mad: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Originally posted by ando
    man oh man, I just had a user that was downloading 'spiderman' the movie over the net connection, using practically all the bandwidth during business hours :mad: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Downloading a 720meg file during work hours? Even I wouldn't have the nerve to do that! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Just for info, how the hell do you get Direct Connect to use specified ports?
    I've tried it several times using different ports, both passive and active, no chance.

Anyone got a linux clone for it?

AGSat is sweet from a remote "execute and forget" perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

AGSat is a cool way to get stuff alright.

But I understand what a nightmare leeching software can be for admins. I've seen a linux server with /home nearly full and still filling at 100 Kb per sec.

Its amazing how a few AGSats can take a huge chunk of bandwidth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,817 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I find wget is the main culprit :)

I really have to move that shíte off my account, will be bringing in the machine tomorrow hopefully

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭GreenHell

I love wget!

Advertisement