Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Modem

• 13-08-2001 10:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭

Right, i'm getting a new 56k while i wait for DSL.

I havent looked into any computer hardware for ages really so i wouldn't have a clue what to get. Will i just buy the first 56k i see or would there be much difference with a well know brand or something like that.

I'll be mostly using it for games if that makes any difference.

Any sujestions about what to buy and where to buy it will be just lovely smile.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭strat

Make sure u dont get a software modem
    most internal oes are software which loads the cpu which is bad frown.gif

one way to ensure ur getting a hardware modem is to buy an external one

uauslly takes up a usb port tho'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Zaltais

I bought a 56k external USB modem only last week from Marx-Computers - it's a Diamond SupraExpress 56e USB modem only £60 - (the serial version is £70) and I have had no problems so far - in fact it's way better than my old internal that died. Comes with all the fax answering gizmos and stuff.

Let me know if you want any more info...

[This message has been edited by Zaltais (edited 13-08-2001).]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Get a US Robotics External (serial) modem.
    Even the low-price USR's are very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭Gerry

get an external serial modem. Apart from taking up a usb port, usb modems usually cost more, and some are not fully fledged hardware modems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Are Cirrus logic chips any good?

Also, i have an old 28.8 ISA Rockwell BOCA modem, except I have no documentation or drivers for it. I used the standard Windows modem driver but the performance was slightly lower then expected.
    And before you point out what i know your thinkin, i'm already limited to 28.8, 31200bps reported but that could bea bit of compression. I have a DACS box. It's not my modem. i'm just looking for better pings here.

Also, not all Winmodems are bad.
    I have a PCI 56K Lucent 1646 DSP hybrid. I get better pings in CS then my external CL serial modem, or the ISA one. It can be a little more unstable, broken connections once or twice, but it handles every thing I throw at it. i'm only 1mile from the exchange, but i suspect the DACS box is also a bit ofa ISDN router too. If i'm getting 31200bps, that means my neighbour (who shares my line - hence reduced bandwidth) can get it too) 31200 x2 = 62400bps, although 28800 x2 = 57600 bps. I also get a max of around 3.7KB -3.8KB. which leads meh to believe that the phone line they doctored was also upgraded.
    Why won't they give meh my bandwidth? Do I not pay the rental price every two months? How much more blood can they squeeze from a stone? ANSWER MEH WORLD!
    [+++ /END RANT +++]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭Xterminator

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by TARE:
    Right, i'm getting a new 56k while i wait for DSL.

I havent looked into any computer hardware for ages really so i wouldn't have a clue what to get. Will i just buy the first 56k i see or would there be much difference with a well know brand or something like that.

I'll be mostly using it for games if that makes any difference.

Any sujestions about what to buy and where to buy it will be just lovely smile.gif
    </font>

If your looking for a cheap good modem, ITDirect on Parliment St have an unbranded pci internal Hardware modem for £37 quid. (Conexant chipset I belive)(I dont think you'll do much better than that.)

If moneys no object, the external US Robitics 56k datafax modem (serial port) gives me pings averaging 160-170 on the same phoneline as my software win modem gives me unstable pings of 270, prone to connection problems during games.

"Man, you go through life, you try to be nice to people, you struggle against the urge to punch ‘em in the face, and for what?! For some pimply little puke to treat you like dirt unless you're on a team. Well I'm better than dirt ... well most kinds of dirt. I mean, not that fancy, store-bought dirt. That stuff’s loaded with nutrients. I …I can't compete with that stuff."
    -Moe Szyslak

Advertisement