Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

americans involved in 'war crimes'

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Lemming
    I stand pedanitcally corrected :D
    I stand pedanitcally :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by The Corinthian

I stand pedanitcally :D

damn typos :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

I would have thought the "most" qualifier would have been enough to include that, Lemming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭Shinji

Sorry, how is this breaking the law? They are acting selfishly, but I haven't come across any law they're breaking.

You can't break an international law you refuse to recognise. However, I think it's fair to say that the Yanks think they're playing a totally different ball game to the rest of us in this respect.

They refuse to recognise the ICC. They refuse to recognise the convention on the rights of the child (because they like to recruit 17 year olds into their army, which breaks the rights of the child regulations about forcing children to fight). They refused to ratify Kyoto. They ignore the UN Security Council when it suits them, and more often bully the UN into doing what they want - while at the same time failing to pay their UN dues. They broke SALT earlier this year. Until last month they sanctioned the execution of mentally ill people for capital crimes.

Of course, these are the defenders of democracy and freedom, doncha know... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭GerK

Originally posted by JustHalf
    Sorry, how is this breaking the law? They are acting selfishly, but I haven't come across any law they're breaking.

Well in your own words "Mmh. Me thinks you should read what I said and start up the old noggin."

I haven't said that their current stance was a violation of any law. However the US have as rich history of refusing to recognize international law (the US having the highest veto counts on UN resolutions followed closely by Israel) they also have a history of ignoring UN resolutions when it doesn't suit US interests and we are all aware of their blatantly illegal acts in Cuba, Vietnam, Cambodia and virtually every country in the continental Americas.

• Advertisement

GerK, you said "yet another refusal by the US ... to abide with [international law]".

Which makes zero sense unless the US are breaking international law by their current actions with regards to the ICC. Which you have yet to show.

GerK, you said "yet another refusal by the US ... to abide with [international law]".

Which makes zero sense unless the US are breaking international law by their current actions with regards to the ICC. Which you have yet to show.

If you are going to quote me you should at least quote me properly, I see no need to paraphrase a sentence this long, unless you seek to muddy its meaning:

"I have to say I am not surprised at yet another refusal by the US to recognize international law (or indeed abide by it)"

The emphasis and thrust of the statement being that they have a history of refusing to recognize international law, when it interferes with the US national interest. There are already examples of this contained in this very thread, I refer to to this post by Shinji:

They refuse to recognise the ICC. They refuse to recognise the convention on the rights of the child (because they like to recruit 17 year olds into their army, which breaks the rights of the child regulations about forcing children to fight). They refused to ratify Kyoto. They ignore the UN Security Council when it suits them, and more often bully the UN into doing what they want - while at the same time failing to pay their UN dues. They broke SALT earlier this year. Until last month they sanctioned the execution of mentally ill people for capital crimes.

But leaving all that aside the US refusal to ratify and recognize the ICC is itself a refusal to recognize and abide by international law. So I don't see any reason to defend this position further by doing research legwork for you. If you wanted to find past cases where the US HAS VIOLATED (something they have done, but clearly not a claim I have made until this post) you can simply do a search on US plus ANY of these key words/phrases: Sanctions, Contras, Assasination, Rwanda, veto, embargo, NSC-02, Bay of Pigs, United Nations Security Council etc. etc.

I must say that reading your posts on this thread it seems you are more interested in quibbling about semantics than engaging in any kind of meaningful debate on the subject.

Well, my sentence was merely a reduction of yours from two clauses to one. It means exactly the same as yours with regards to the US abiding by international law.

Well, my sentence was merely a reduction of yours from two clauses to one. It means exactly the same as yours with regards to the US abiding by international law.

Well I would say that I probably know the meaning of my sentence better than you. Your interpretation of its meaning not withstanding, if I wanted to be as pedantic as you about it, I could point out that you altered the meaning of the sentence in at least one way by changing my "abide by" (which means to comply with) to an "abide with" which actually means to tolerate or wait patiently for. I would say that IF I wanted to nit pick ;) , but I don't so I say only this:

Your post only serves to illustrate my point about your focusing on this kind or irrelevance and not engaging in informed debate.

Keep on truckin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Bob the Unlucky Octopus

I'd just like to point a few things out here. To begin with, let me make it clear that I as an American am abhorrent of some of my government's policies-especially the recent ICC/UN peacekeeping policies- I make no attempt to justify them. However, I do feel I need to set the record straight regarding a few points(in a long post) that have been made, and to play the devil's advocate a little :P

Originally posted by Shinji
    You can't break an international law you refuse to recognise. However, I think it's fair to say that the Yanks think they're playing a totally different ball game to the rest of us in this respect.

There is a politically valid reason that our government chooses to 'play a different ball-game'. It largely revolves around the fact that Europe as a collective, lacks the will to make difficult decisions economically as well as politically- but in no area is this more apparent than when military solutions are necessary. Whenever peace-keeping initiatives are necessary on European soil, the US is inevitably the nation pledging the largest force. The reason that our government inevitably takes the lead in both the UN Security council, and in NATO is that the other member nations simply don't bring enough to the table. Many in the US legislature (perhaps rightly) feel that such a large investment of tax-payer's money, and the immeasurable investment of American soldiers giving their lives for a peace settled far from their shores- is not an investment worth making.

What gives the US a significant edge at the negotiating table is not just military force, but the political will to use it. This is why a purely European-enforced peace initiative has not been successful anywhere in Europe- from the once-troubled Balkans/Kosovo, to the Northern Ireland settlement, to the still-troubled Kurds in Turkey. Several citizens look critically at a UN security council, where out of the 5 permanent members, only two (the US and GB) are even moderatlely concerned with peacekeeping troop deployments, the US more so than any of the other nations. China takes no part in peacekeeping, Russia like-wise, France is very careful of overcomitting, as indeed are the UK though to a lesser extent. Little wonder then that there is frustration on our side of the Atlantic when complaints are made by Europeans about our unwillingness to listen. Well...if Europe is unwilling to re-arm and bring its share to the table, it shouldn't moan and wheedle about not getting an equal say.

About the specific manner of withdrawal, or the threat of SFOR withdrawal I am more skeptical. While I agree that it is wrong to use these peace-keeping initiatives in a threatening fashion, I'm not entirely certain that I want to pay taxes to maintain forces in Europe, immunity or no immunity. This is why the current administration took this action, because an overwhelming majority of public opinion disagrees with the very idea of American lives being risked for European peace. Especially when the likely aftermath of such a peace will throw up problems that liberals critical of the action (while unable to concoct an alternative solution practically viable) will point to in a cynical and unproductive fashion. That isn't necessarily my view, just that of the majority of my countrymen. The view has been recently enforced in some quarters with Europe's march towards the hard right- something that makes the electorate uneasy, particularly about Middle Eastern policy.

They refuse to recognise the ICC...

The US has a consistent and unashamedly isolationist foreign policy. I for one am firmly of the belief that ratification of the ICC is a mistake, and not just for the US or the reasons our government issued. Ad hoc courts are not only more able to address the issues, but conform to the ethical and legal standards of a region far more effectively than a unified criminal system could. The ICC, like communism, is a good idea in principle, but riddled with problems when practical details are exposed. For example, if an international criminal court exists, on what basis would it charge or subpoena individuals or groups? Would there for example, be a penal code? As it stands, these critical questions are left hanging. Ad hoc courts allow for the deliberation prior to proceedings to be agreed by prosecution and defence, and for a suitably unbiased bench to be drawn up.

It is indisuptable that each and every nation has different values regarding legal procedure. In Italy & Korea, judges are trained in a pure establishment. In the Commonwealth and the US, they are selected from advocates. Some states have trials by jury, some do not, and some have both. Varying degrees of mitigation are permitted in different states- if a universal standard is to be applied, these issues would dog the validity of any judgement the court could pass down. Finally, the reason I am positive it will never work is that an effective system of appeal has NOT been designed. That for me, is the last strand of judicial process being hung out to dry, and the final nail in the ICC's coffin.

It is also to be noted that just because you happen to ratify a treaty, it is no guarantee of it being followed. The non-proliferation treaty (NPT) has been signed by Russia and China, yet recent IAEA reports seem to disclose (unsuprisingly) that these two nations are world leaders in both state-sanctioned, and illegitimate proliferation. That issue to me is far more important the the improbably creation of a viable ICC- it represents a threat to global security- while the ICC is far, far away from being a solution to any of the world's troubles. The ratification of Kyoto doesn't vex me for the simple reason that CO2 emissions have little or nothing to do with overall climate change. Also, our government bucked global opinion on the ABM treaty, and was met with positive results- the largest reductions in nuclear arms the world has ever seen.

As for ignoring the UN Security council and vetoing, I can't think of a single permanent member that hasn't done this in critical situations as it suits them. Examples: Russia wrt Chechnya, Cuba, Yemen, Dagestan, NPT arrangments, 4PT signings, the list goes on. France wrt Algeria, Vietnam, Senegal, not to mention nuclear testing in their colonies. Britain regarding the Falklands, Guyana, the Gulf War and colonial land rights in many an African nation. China wrt Tibet, Taiwan, Fa-Lun Gong, and the Nansha islands disupte. These may be less publicized, but are no less significant than US interventions. The reason they are less publicized is that the US is willing to be engaged about its shortcomings, while the other Sec Council nations are not.

However the US have as rich history of refusing to recognize international law (the US having the highest veto counts on UN resolutions followed closely by Israel) they also have a history of ignoring UN resolutions when it doesn't suit US interests and we are all aware of their blatantly illegal acts in Cuba, Vietnam, Cambodia and virtually every country in the continental Americas.

It's always suprised me how selective peoples' memories can be, especially concerning events in mainland Europe. No one denies that US actions described were illegal or deplorable, or both. Yet we were hardly the only ones to commit such acts. France acted abhorently in Algeria in the early 1960s, and has continued a policy of disruption and regime-change there ever since. China's human rights and external affairs records speak for themselves, particularly regarding Taiwan, Tibet, border disputes, and East Asian policy. But what rankles most with me is the manner in which Europeans have ignored the extent of Russian atrocities in their own back yard. The atrocities in Chechnya and Dagestan continue still, Grozny and Kralinzow, once thriving townships in Central Russia totally destroyed, people scattered, homeless, millions made refugees. To say nothing of the brinkmanship exhibited during the Cuban missile crisis, support of seperatists across Africa/the Middle East, even destabilizing South Asia. Far from pressuring Russia to deal with these fundamental issues of the present and history, the EU has wooed them shamelessly, doubtless hopeful of the market prospects the corrupt Russian government along with the packages the Russian mafia and dolgarukhy bring with them. Rather than soley criticizing the manner in which the United States conducts its affairs, perhaps a little more effort should be made to concentrate on solving serious troubles closer to home. The Soviet Union created just as many problems as the US in terms of arming seperatists and regime-change, that was a sign of the times. The Cold war is something neither side should be proud of- it should however be noted that US-allied governments often didn't object at the time of atrocity, saving such recriminations for 10-15 years down the line. Hardly consistent morally speaking, and impractical policy-wise.

If Europe as a whole wants a collective say in matters- they first need to formulate a common doctrine specific enough to be taken seriously. Next, they need to rearm in an intelligent and coordinated fashion if they are to have a say in the issues that shape this century. Last, and most importantly, they need to show the world that they are capable of acting decisively when collective political or military action is required. The more of these initiatives are in place, the more seriously the US will take European complaints the next time around.

Just a few thoughts there, respond to them how you will :)

Occy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I propose that Occy's overly long paragraph be considered a crime against humanity! ;)

Until we ratify the ICC I have immunity!!~ :D

Occy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

I think it's fair to say that the US, like any of the empires that existed before it (Britian, France Spain), have played by there own rules.

Most, if not all, nations will try to do what they consider to be in there best interest.

In America's case, they have enough political, economic and military strenght to get what they want most of the time and, unfortunately this can be at the expense of other peoples.

Europe is still too divided to form a solid political and military the way the US is, so they're force on the world stage must take second place to America's.

Make no doubt about it, if Europe was of comparable strenght to the US, we'd have the US complaning about European interventions in world politics.

Just a note:

There is a politically valid reason that our government chooses to 'play a different ball-game'. It largely revolves around the fact that Europe as a collective, lacks the will to make difficult decisions economically as well as politically- but in no area is this more apparent than when military solutions are necessary. Whenever peace-keeping initiatives are necessary on European soil, the US is inevitably the nation pledging the largest force. The reason that our government inevitably takes the lead in both the UN Security council, and in NATO is that the other member nations simply don't bring enough to the table. Many in the US legislature (perhaps rightly) feel that such a large investment of tax-payer's money, and the immeasurable investment of American soldiers giving their lives for a peace settled far from their shores- is not an investment worth making.

Unfortunately the US have defaulted a number of times on the payments to the UN....thats whyDonald Trump (I think) ended up paying the US's outstanding debts to the UN a number of years ago.

And as for Russia's invasion of Chenya, I think the US can be held as equally responible for the silence over the issue as the Europeans. The main reson being that the US needs Russia's support for any action in Afganistan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Originally posted by Shinji
    They refuse to recognise the convention on the rights of the child (because they like to recruit 17 year olds into their army, which breaks the rights of the child regulations about forcing children to fight).

Not trying to pick a fight or anything, but from what I can recall, the US could not ratify the convention on rights of the child even if they wanted to at the moment.

Such ratification would infringe on the boundaries imposed between state and national policy making. This would be perceived as an abrogation of power of the states, which would likely result in a massive disruption to the political stability in the country.

I dont think its a forgiveable excuse, but I think the issue is a bit more complex in this case then "they want kids in teh army", or "they want to execute kids" (as is so often the alternate explanation offered).

Basically, the US have a valid reason to hide behind, and lack the want to change their system to remove that reason. Besides, what harm will it ever do them? If it ever bucomes an issue, they will point at countries which have young kids in sweatshops or armies and say "hey - those guys ratified the treaty, and they're the good guys. We dont do these things and we're the bad guys?". Whilst they may not be perfect in their own actions, you'd have to admit they have a point.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by Bob the Unlucky Octopus
    About the specific manner of withdrawal, or the threat of SFOR withdrawal I am more skeptical.
    Dyslexia on my part, no doubt, but why do I always speed read SFOR as SPQR..?

I
    Just a few thoughts there, respond to them how you will :)

Occy

OK wow, Occy that is a brilliant post, and I welcome the viewpoint of a US citizen in this thread, especially such a well thought out view.

However, (there is always a however isn't there!? :D ) I feel duty bound to point out some additional detail on some of the points.
    This is why a purely European-enforced peace initiative has not been successful anywhere in Europe- from the once-troubled Balkans/Kosovo, to the Northern Ireland settlement, to the still-troubled Kurds in Turkey.

With regard to Turkey and their treatment of the Kurds, I think it should pointed out that the US has a tentacle in this. The attrocities against the Kurds peaked during the mid 90's, coincidentally around the same time that Turkey became the largest single importer of US military hardware, a whoping 80% of its arsenal (much of which was used against Kurdish civilians) was supplied by the US. Even after human rights groups exposed the use of US jets to bomb Kurdish villages, the arms continued to flow.

As for the Balkans, the US (as well as all the other western governments), ignored the non-violant resistance of the Kosovars to the rescindence of their autonomy refusing to give any real support and in fact excluding Kosovo Albanian representatives from the negotiation of the Dayton accords. Only when the KLA began an armed resistance followed by the escalation of the cycle of violence was there intervention by western governments. Intervention that only increased on a massive scale the Serbian atrocities.

Northern Ireland, there is a constant US intervention in the Northern Ireland conflict, namely massive financial support for the IRA stretching back decades. However since I have nothing to support official US government involvement I'll move on.

The US has a consistent and unashamedly isolationist foreign policy.

Well I guess if you believe the propaganda this is true, if you delve any deeper it's clearly untrue. At the end of WWII the US saw its chance to become the dominant world power and at once began planning the implementation of this goal. Beginning with the subversion of the first free elections in Italy (which looked like going in favor of the hugely popular communist resistance). Followed by the instalation of key Nazi personnel and colaborators in governments around Europe. The US shaped the political landscape of post-war Europe to meet its own ends and as such is at least partly culpable for the current state of Europe.

Since then it has interfered in the affairs of virtually every state in Central/South America and Cuba Haiti etc. that has attempted any kind of Social reform as it may have negative effect on US business interests.

None of which is very isolationist, at least IMHO.

OK, its late now and I just ca't type anymore, I'll come back to this tomorrow .. I guess I just don't have your stamina Occy ;)

Originally posted by GerK

With regard to Turkey and their treatment of the Kurds, I think it should pointed out that the US has a tentacle in this. The attrocities against the Kurds peaked during the mid 90's, coincidentally around the same time that Turkey became the largest single importer of US military hardware, a whoping 80% of its arsenal (much of which was used against Kurdish civilians) was supplied by the US. Even after human rights groups exposed the use of US jets to bomb Kurdish villages, the arms continued to flow.

The US did have a tentacle in it, as did every other nation in NATO. It was incredibly important at the time, for NATO to be seen as inclusive of Turkey along with all its political baggage, especially because of the Middle East issue. As such, not only were we willing to support them in NATO, but practically all NATO members were eager to ignore human rights issues as long as they would be brought into line at some stage in the future. Seville 1991 provides the proof for this, human rights groups had warned about the plight of Kurds and the agendas surrounding Kurdistan, but executive branches of government have rarely responded well to NGO reports that they haven't commissioned themselves.

While we're on the subject of weapons though GerK, which company would you say has had the greatest success regarding patent/weapon sales? Because it isn't an American company, but a little Russian concern by the name of Automvat Kalashnikov. The AK is probably the most sold, traded, modified, talked about and used weapon on the planet, and the one which has caused the most grief. Yet all I seem to read about in my daily socialist chronicle are Western arms sales- that's a bit unbalanced wouldn't you say?

As for the Balkans, the US (as well as all the other western governments), ignored the non-violant resistance of the Kosovars to the rescindence of their autonomy refusing to give any real support and in fact excluding Kosovo Albanian representatives from the negotiation of the Dayton accords. Only when the KLA began an armed resistance followed by the escalation of the cycle of violence was there intervention by western governments. Intervention that only increased on a massive scale the Serbian atrocities.

At that stage, most of the western world was willing to give democracy in Yugoslavia a chance to sort these problems out. Intervention is all well and good, but it needs to be a fairly stark and internally insoluble problem before NATO should intervene- even hardliners agree on that. Only when the democratic process in Serbia failed Kosovar Albanian fundamentally at the executive enforcement level did it become clear that only an imposed solution would be workable.

Northern Ireland, there is a constant US intervention in the Northern Ireland conflict, namely massive financial support for the IRA stretching back decades. However since I have nothing to support official US government involvement I'll move on.

That's a fairly radical accusation- no one questions that private money flows from the US to Irish republicans in Northern Ireland, but government involvement? That would be neither in our interest nor practicable. Private money we turn a blind eye to, and that's unacceptable- but logistical support on the ground in the Republic I would wager, is of far more worth to the republican movement than cash: terrorist groups can always find willing supporters and means of raising money- constraints of legality and property rarely tie their hands :P The problem is hardly the money, it's the entire attitude in establishing a peace, sometimes only an imposed solution will even have a chance of sticking.

The only official involvement of our government that I'm aware of is in aiding a settlement, something we were successful in doing under the Clinton administration. There are issues to be ironed out, but the problem was addressed far more efficiently with US envoys at the table than without- influence can be used for good as well as selfish ends- sometimes the two even coincide.

Since then it has interfered in the affairs of virtually every state in Central/South America and Cuba Haiti etc. that has attempted any kind of Social reform as it may have negative effect on US business interests.

None of which is very isolationist, at least IMHO.

As I said, both the Soviet Union and the US intervened in various fashions, polarizing global alliances to an extent not seen since the first world war. There is a marked difference between isolationist and non-interventionist. No one can argue that the Soviet Union has pursued an isolationist foreign policy regarding trade, aid, peacekeeping or the like...but to say they were also non-interventionist misses the mark by some way. The same is true of different aspects of US policy- although I would argue that we are more ready and able to be engaged on issues than are the Russians.

I guess I just don't have your stamina Occy ;)

Can't believe everything you hear :o

Occy

Also, our government bucked global opinion on the ABM treaty, and was met with positive results- the largest reductions in nuclear arms the world has ever seen.
    Not really. The US agreed to decomission the missiles, but not to destroy the warheads. While it is a decrease in the immediate threat, the US still has a massive arsenal at its immediate disposal, and the ability to restore its previous missiles in rather a short time, compared to having to reproduce the warheads from scratch.

Also worrying is that the US is conducting research into "battlefield nukes" - small, so-called "clean" nukes. Sure, these werent covered under the ABM treaty anyway, but this action is hardly conducive to believing that the US are out to reduce the proliferation of nuclear arms.
    These may be less publicized, but are no less significant than US interventions. The reason they are less publicized is that the US is willing to be engaged about its shortcomings, while the other Sec Council nations are not.
    The cynic in me says that they are more publicised because the papers get very little mileage out of (say) "China vetoes UN proposal xxxx on Human Rights" when the media-consuming world is already fed up of hearing about the Chinese and their poor human rights record. Theres far more mileage out of attacking the nation who claims to stand for freedom, equality and all that when it is stepping on similar rules to suit itself.

America bills itself as the Good Guy [tm]. The Good Guy [tm] is supposed to uphold the rules, and encourage others to do the same. When it doesnt, or when it simply refuses to accept the rules (vetos, unsanctioned actions, refusal to ratify treaties, etc), then it is a bigger deal than the Bad Guys [tm] do the same.

From a very simple point of view, which would probably get more mileage : "recent discoveries reveal new Nazi atrocities in WW2", or recent discoveries reveal new Allied atrocities in WW2"? When you have already villified one party, there is little left to report when they perform "villainous" actions. When the heros perform "villainous" actions, then its news worthy.

Whether or not the US is willing to enter into debate about it is mostly irrelevant to me. Then again, I could well be wrong - its just how I see the media.
    The Soviet Union created just as many problems as the US in terms of arming seperatists and regime-change, that was a sign of the times. The Cold war is something neither side should be proud of
    Sure, but again, its a case of Good and Bad. The west saw the US as the good guy, and the Soviets as the Big Bad. You hear about Soviet atrocities, and its "so what". It just proves the US was right to oppose them, and that they were indeed as Bad as we said. When you hear that the US was in the same ballpark in terms of its actions, its more surprising. The Good Guy was using the same dirty tactics as the Big Bad? surely not? How could they be the good guy? If their actions were as reprehensible, then exactly what was so bad about the Soviets?

Note - I'm not blaming the US, nor attempting to further villify it. What I am saying is that as the self-appointed bastion of the free-world, there is a moral obligation on the US to lead by example.

It is encumbant on the US to uphold the values that it tries to get the rest of the world to hold up to. Sure, the US would like that to be US policy, but when it has to be International policy, then the US should suck it in, and set the example. If not, then any criticism of others is nothing more than posturing. Similarly, claims that "we are not the only guilty ones" are delf-defeating.

The US is not the only "guilty" nation. However, this implicitly contains an admission that the US is a guilty party. This kinda questions the superiority of the moral platform the US preaches to the world from.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭deco

All I can say is bravo Bonkey.....

Originally posted by bonkey

Not really. The US agreed to decomission the missiles, but not to destroy the warheads. While it is a decrease in the immediate threat, the US still has a massive arsenal at its immediate disposal, and the ability to restore its previous missiles in rather a short time, compared to having to reproduce the warheads from scratch.

Poor wording on my part and I apologize- I was speaking in broad terms. What I meant to say was, that there was a huge decrease in the order of magnitude of capability. The maintenance of the existing arsenal is a sore point between both nations, but to paraphrase Chomsky, nuclear disarmament is a process that must, out of prudence and diplomatic necessity, be conducted in baby steps. Any step in the right direction is to be welcomed, especially when Britain, France and most notably China haven't significantly reduced their arsenal in over 20 years, in the latter's case, a constant buildup has been in force since Deng Xiaoping's ascent to power.

Also worrying is that the US is conducting research into "battlefield nukes" - small, so-called "clean" nukes.
    I fail to see why this is worrying- the catestrophic nature of dirty bombs is what made the nuclear option so political- if it can be turned into a low-yield 0-rads weapon which is controlled by a battlefield commander rather than a head of state, I find that a welcome step in the right direction. As a matter of interest, "clean devices" have been around since the early 1980s, they received such low publicity because of the unconvincing computer systems behind the strike of the target package. Now that these systems have been given the acid test a la CNN in two conflicts, it is reaching the public eye more.

Sure, these werent covered under the ABM treaty anyway, but this action is hardly conducive to believing that the US are out to reduce the proliferation of nuclear arms.

Firstly, the ABM treaty has nothing to do with disarmament, at least not directly. The ABM is a treaty prohibiting missile systems designed to defeat a "warhead shower", the most common form of nuclear holocaust scenario. The idea behind the treaty was to preserve deterrence via MAD (Mutually Assured Destruction). Our government chose to set this aside for the simple reason that India, Pakistan, the DPRK, Israel, and a number of rogue states either possess nuclear arms with delivery systems intact, or would certainly strike our citizens if they acquired such material and the infrastructure to exploit it. While nuclear proliferation was merely a nightmare on the horizon, the ABM was an effective means of preserving deterrence, the 5 nations were virtually guaranteed to act in their own best interests. Rogue states or groups however, are not so-bound, 9/11 will forever be a glaring reminder of that.

Secondly- what exactly does the domestic development of clean tactical nukes have to do with proliferation? You mention the two ideas as being inextricably linked in that sentence. I don't see how increasing our domestic stockpile ensures that we have to start handing it out to our allies around the world like candy. Because that is what proliferation means- the spread of arms around the world, putting more and more and more fingers on nuclear triggers. I don't see how our developing arms to be used in entirely different strategic scenarios, with entirely different aftermath profiles, has to do with a global threat the China and Russia are spreading. It is all but accepted that China was complicit in the transfer of nuclear material to Pakistan and the DPRK, and the less said about Russia's security regarding nuclear storage facilities, the better. That's the cause of proliferation, not domestic buildup.

The cynic in me says that they are more publicised because the papers get very little mileage out of (say) "China vetoes UN proposal xxxx on Human Rights" when the media-consuming world is already fed up of hearing about the Chinese and their poor human rights record. Theres far more mileage out of attacking the nation who claims to stand for freedom, equality and all that when it is stepping on similar rules to suit itself.
    In turn, the cynic in me says that the reason that European governments embrace such negative publicity, is that it suits their frustration. Their collective contribution to the alliance corresponds in a rougly equal manner to their say, yet still there is chafing and frustration. Not just across the Atlantic, but across Europe as well. The United States brings far more expansive options to the table than its Allies- that being the case, it is understandable that an anti-American attitude is easy enough to embrace. Particularly if it is a matter with which you as a European leader, and your national(Continental!) press can agree on. It's just too hard *not* to sulkily criticize American policy.

On a more serious note- the United States stands for the freedom of its own citizens, at almost any price. That is the truth of the matter, our foreign policy doesn't claim to be benign, or indeed ethical in dimension. Anyone who claims differently has been watching a little too much of The West Wing feelgood TV Vibe Programme(tm). Our leaders do not, like British or French leaders, claim to have an ethical dimension to our foreign policy and then violate it. The closest we have come to it is an admission that foreign policy these days is a good deal less hawkish than during the Cold War- that is undeniable.

America bills itself as the Good Guy [tm]. The Good Guy [tm] is supposed to uphold the rules, and encourage others to do the same. When it doesnt, or when it simply refuses to accept the rules (vetos, unsanctioned actions, refusal to ratify treaties, etc), then it is a bigger deal than the Bad Guys [tm] do the same.

The Good Guy[tm] to our citizens jc- that's what will win votes, hearts, minds, and a place in national history. Grand gestures of charity don't lend themselves to a place in our history. As for others playing by the rules- there are few rules in international law, some would say no rules. There are conventions of action, and treaties- but no hard rules. If there is a convincing argument to be made to one's public for changing your nation's stance towards a convention: Then it can be argued that it would be wrong to ignore public opinion. I personally believe that politics can be ahead of public opinion, as occurs in Europe- but there is a strong case to be made for the stance that a government represents the wishes of its citizens. That's the truth of how foreign policy attitudes have evolved in the USA.

From a very simple point of view, which would probably get more mileage : "recent discoveries reveal new Nazi atrocities in WW2", or recent discoveries reveal new Allied atrocities in WW2"? When you have already villified one party, there is little left to report when they perform "villainous" actions. When the heros perform "villainous" actions, then its news worthy.

Unless those villanous actions are covered up or left unreported jc. It's indisputable that Allied soldiers raped local women, looted churches and houses, shot POWs for no better reason than they were looking at them funny- but we never heard of it. Because the victors write history- Nazi media is rarely studied in depth by the common man, whereas the victorious nations make it a point to value. In today's world, neither the victors nor the defeated have as great a say in the historical word as the media itself. A camera lens can be a lot harsher than the written word will ever be. These days, our government's post-Vietnam policy of declassifying relevant state security and intelligence information and making it public- has backfired more than a little. European powers have never declassified intelligence as freely, nor have the Russians or the Chinese. Therefore, I feel an informed and free-thinking public could do worse than moderate their views on the subject of politics. Foreign policy in many ways, hasn't changed since the days of Niccolo Machiavelli- but the level of public scrutiny has- a balanced, critical thinking view is what the public needs, though it won't be given to them on a plate.

Whether or not the US is willing to enter into debate about it is mostly irrelevant to me. Then again, I could well be wrong - its just how I see the media.
    I couldn't disagree more. Rather than hiding behind the cloak of "Official Secrets", an open and frank dialogue with the public, might well increase the moral standard of decisions made in politics. After all, if a government's survival depends on transparency in areas the public cares about, perhaps it could have more of a positive impact than people think. As for the media, they provide the impetus for reform- they can't do that if governments shut up shop on reporters the way European governments have- nothing in my view, is more detrimental to transparency, honesty, or the distillation of the truth in politics than such media dialogue.

Continued in next post (Ok, so sue me :P)

• Advertisement

Sure, but again, its a case of Good and Bad. The west saw the US as the good guy, and the Soviets as the Big Bad. You hear about Soviet atrocities, and its "so what". It just proves the US was right to oppose them, and that they were indeed as Bad as we said. When you hear that the US was in the same ballpark in terms of its actions, its more surprising. The Good Guy was using the same dirty tactics as the Big Bad? surely not? How could they be the good guy? If their actions were as reprehensible, then exactly what was so bad about the Soviets?

I don't believe in the black & white theory of blame. I have faith that history will reflect that the US's actions, however atrocious in parts, paled in comparison with the far-reaching effects of what the Soviet Union and its sattelite states perpetuated. A clear picture cannot be obtained via the "West's" point of view- there was a way to find one though. The Non-Aligned Movement, or NAM, viewed both the US +European Allies, and the USSR + sattelite states with suspicion. However, it is clear that they favoured trade, dialogue, engagement, and discussions with the NATO bloc- since the USSR closeted itself with Cuba, China, and the DPRK more often than not. As I see it, it confirms my faith in the fact that there are shades of "wrongdoing" in policy- and that the darker shades do not sit upon our shoulders. Perhaps history will prove me wrong, but the situation resting as it is, I'm content with that analysis.

What I am saying is that as the self-appointed bastion of the free-world, there is a moral obligation on the US to lead by example.
    I can't remember the last time a moral obligation was the crux of a foreign policy strategy. Or at least, a successful strategy- all I need to do is point a fat, overfed finger at the starving continent of Africa. It is indisputable that aid could be spared, but not only Western, but Eastern bloc powers. The fact that it was morally compelling alone, did nothing to motivate them. EVEN TODAY it is a sore point- world leaders are distrustful of African leaders, and African leaders are mired in a pit of their predecessors' digging.

The point is, if a moral obligation exists for us to lead by example, that isn't good enough. There needs to be a firm incentive to hand to the electorate- and one more substantial than "a nice warm feeling inside". It's heartless I know- and no one feels it more than me, having done charity work- but the general public is rarely swayed by sob stories. What holds European leaders back from action on the same scale is capability. Political balance certainly isn't lacking- the far right is more powerful in Europe than it has ever been in the US in terms of seats. The US no longer has a foreign policy stick, so we need a carrot.

It is encumbant on the US to uphold the values that it tries to get the rest of the world to hold up to. Sure, the US would like that to be US policy, but when it has to be International policy, then the US should suck it in, and set the example. If not, then any criticism of others is nothing more than posturing. Similarly, claims that "we are not the only guilty ones" are delf-defeating.

The US is not the only "guilty" nation. However, this implicitly contains an admission that the US is a guilty party. This kinda questions the superiority of the moral platform the US preaches to the world from.

jc

It certainly does- but as I've said, I have faith that the moral platform is superior in a proportionate fashion. And to think of it in terms of guilt is misleading I feel- guilt is an individual concept. I don't believe in the idea of "collective guilt" or "collective innocence" as jurisprudence concepts. As for the US reaching compromises on international disputes- as long as we wield the largest carrots(investment opportunity, free trade, etc) and the largest sticks (withdrawal of said investment opportunities, military power)- there will never be a need for us to lend an ear to International Policy. If nations pursued the more rewarding approach of engaging our concerns (instead of presenting us with a fait accompli) then more could be achieved. The alternative is for Europe to re-arm, organize a better common trading policy, shore up their currency market(s), and meet us as first among equals, as opposed to the poor cousin.

Foreign policy criticism our government directs would usually not amount to posturing(although sometimes for the sake of humility I wish it did) - because we have a more powerful say than any nation or bloc currently in existence. That may be unfortunate for geopolitics as a subject, but the harsh reality is that all that is really incumbent upon our government is to act directly in the best interests of our citizens. Europe hasn't pursued such a devoted line because political thinking there is a good deal more distanced from public opinion. That's a story for another day, but it creates a whole new set of problems for the way relationships are defined. But until a relationship of equity is established, there is little use directing moral standards towards a political establishment that isn't in accordance with public opinion or law. "Ethical directives are best pursued within a framework of substantive gain"- I believe it was Karl Marx who wrote those immortal words. Ironic somewhat, that it is the policy which shapes the fate of modern western government.

Thus ends the long rebuttal of death :)

Occy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

United states of Lies and Hyprocacy

The law firm Judicial Watch, which has also sued for access to records of Cheney's energy task force that drew up the Bush administration's energy policy last year, said it would file the lawsuit on Wednesday.

Judicial Watch said President George Bush's rush to crackdown on corporate fraud seemed intended to deflect attention away from his and Cheney's own business practices.

Bush's own conduct as a businessman has been questioned since an internal Securities and Exchange Commission memo detailed his 34-week delay in reporting stock sales worth more than $1 million while serving as a director of Texas-based Harken Energy Corp more than a decade ago.

So where did all that Coke found in Afghanistan go?

Right up G. Bush's Nose.

Snort
    Snort

Originally posted by Bob the Unlucky Octopus The Good Guy[tm] to our citizens jc- that's what will win votes, hearts, minds, and a place in national history.
    As a non-American, I can honestly say that the image America wants to project abroad is "we are the good guys, we are your friend". Hell, they have an image consultant working to market "Brand USA" at a governmental level. Come on - if thats not trying to tell me they're my friend, what is?

This is what I'm referring to - America's insistence on treating the rest of the world as a bunch of clueless idiots. On one hand, they try and tell us that they are the Good Guys, and that we should be on their side, and then on the other hand, they prove categorically by their actions that (as you say) they are really only looking out for no.1. - themselves.

Theyre not wrong to do this - but they are wrong when they try to tell me otherwise. You havent, but the US government has.

At the end of the day, international politics is about nothing more than leveraging an advantage - making the most out of other nations (or losing the least in some cases). One approach the Americans have been using ever since WW2 has been by billing themselves as the "protector of the western world", the friendly giant that we can all love and trust.

In reality, yes, I understand that morality etc. has no place in politics, except where expedient. I actually dont have much of a problem with this. What I have a problem with is the propaganda which is fed to the common man - the propaganda which says the US is the protector of the western world - they're not - theyre the protector of US interests.

I'm sorry - if corporate or political America wants to sell me the Buddy USA, I will point out just how big a shower of liars they are. I point the same out about most other governments depending on what the topic is, so I hardly think I'm biased here.

jc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭DadaKopf

Occy: what particularly annoys me about the current administration is that we have people like Bush and Cheney preaching us universalist ethics, reminding us of our common humanity and our duty to support their actions to this end. Simultaneously, they're taking actions within the UN and outside of it, and now with the ICC, to avoid committing America to those same said principles.
    What gives the US a significant edge at the negotiating table is not just military force, but the political will to use it.
    Could I just say that America's will to use force, or to get involved in any diplomatic mission, has been backgrounded by domestic political concerns - in particular: whether the president at the time looked strong or weak and/or there was an election coming up. George Bush Sr. was always frightened of appearing indecisive hence the Panama Invasion (also stuff about talking tough on drugs, coining the term 'narco-terrorism'); Regan's insecurities and plain idiocy and universal christian biblebashing was the background for the military build-up and the Cuban missile crisis was famously mishandled the way it was because Kennedy (also paranoid about looking weak) feared losing the upcoming election.

The fact that America is willing to use force when, allegedly, force is needed does not equal its right to use force. As a self proclaimed global hegemon, I think the US has less of a right to involve itself in other continents' affairs than any other. If anything, the history of US foreign policy shows it's inability to behave responsibly in any situation and must be resisted unless peacekeeping involvement is grounded in a unilateralist UN resolution (and I extend this even to Clinton's involvement in Kosovo and Somalia).

Right, so in a peacekeeping operation, it looks like there are two scenarios to you: slow, ineffective if not non-existant peacekeeping by Europe or rapid, decisive 'crisis management' by the US. Is it not better that a solution be achieved through a unilateral path rather than by the appetites of our global hegemon? I agree that, perhaps, efficient european mechanisms for handling European problems are yet to be satisfactorily devised and implemented but I know I choose the first option.

As a non-American, I can honestly say that the image America wants to project abroad is "we are the good guys, we are your friend"

I would argue jc, that a large part of that is because of the way we export our culture, and that other nations choose to import it. I would be unsuprised if the majority of my peers in Europe had seen as much American TV as I have. That immersion in a foreign culture is undoubtedly building hopes of a benign, caring partner. When such an image (an image created by media, TV shows like the 'West Wing' and brand-promotion) is brutally shattered by reality, people are angry and disappointed. Perhaps they should call their local networks and ask for better production values and more domestic shows :P

Hell, they have an image consultant working to market "Brand USA" at a governmental level. Come on - if thats not trying to tell me they're my friend, what is?

An interesting fact is that several western governments have contracted image consultants to aid with tourism, aid projection, even defence recruitment- just about every aspect of civil PR that concerns foreign policy in fact. That you point to the US example is testimony to the kind of singular media scrutiny we subject ourselves to as a superpower. And in a good deal more of a transparent fashion than any other permanent member of the UNSC. I'll admit freely that GW and his crop of cronies are a distasteful sort, but in terms of domestic policy they've done rather well. Their foreign policy attitude is typically Republican, but not nearly as bad as Reagan's or Bush Senior's. I'm optimistic mainly because of the way he handled 9/11- rarely has a western leader in recent history been faced with such a difficult and traumatic event as this. Or handled it as well.

You're ignoring the fact that the US does not want any other power bloc challenging its privileged position and will do all it can to prevent any such bloc emerging. For all the whinging about Europe's lack of cohesion, the US is opposed to the single currency and they're opposed to the idea of a european army.
    According to the Pentagon's Defense Planning Guidance, which was written by Paul Wolfowitz, the US should 'discourage' the 'advanced industrial nations from challenging our leadership', while maintaining a military dominance capable of 'deterring potential competitors from even aspiring to a larger regional or global role'.
    Have you seen Robert Kaplan's Warrior Politics book? He's a "realist" too.

Addressing that in order:

Accept no challengers? That's hilarious- international trade alone would increase the prosperity of our citizens ten-fold, not to mention the value of a return to the shared strategic alliance that kept the West intact for half a century. Some elements in the legislature no doubt want a different future, but what they want will have little bearing on the issue. As history tells us, nothing lasts forever- and we have far more reason to embrace allies as equal trading partners and strategic partners, than be constantly berated by geopolitical midgets over either set of policies. We're opposed to the single currency because of the massive inflation it creates (and has created, so-called price transparency has merely resulted in a ballooning of prices), and we're opposed to a European army partly because Europeans themselves are very much against the idea. Inflation in a market as large as Europe's could lead to a financial collapse, losing us an important trading partner. And history makes many Americans trepidatious knowing what happens when European governments try to "show their citizens what is best", especially when "what is best" just happens to be a unification of force.

As for the Pentagon's Defence Planning Guidance- I'll worry about Pentagon hawks like Paul Wolfowitz making real political decisions the day we become a military dictatorship and not before. That appears to be a day that will probably never come, so I pay no mind to defence hawks, they exist in every administration- they take orders from civilians. I would instead, worry far more about hawks in executive positions- one only need look at the march to the hard right in Europe to expose the hypocrisy of pointing the finger at US hawks.

Have you seen Robert Kaplan's Warrior Politics book? He's a "realist" too.

A realist, and a liar. He's been caught perjuring himself more than once at a Congressional hearing in the interest of obtaining IPR obligatories. I'll listen to him as soon as he acquaints himself with the truth, or at least an air of consistency. His views are vile and vulgar to most Americans- as are Jorg Heider's to most Austrians. Yet Heider occupies a position of power, and Kaplan is confined to the political cult author's section of the neo-Republican roadshow. Something tells me the former scenario is more dangerous.

and if Kaplan and his ilk have their way, it's not going to be pleasant at all at all.
    It certainly wouldn't be, but given the choice, I would rather live in absolute order than absolute chaos. So would most people- democracy's a wonderful thing ain't it?

The fact that America is willing to use force when, allegedly, force is needed does not equal its right to use force.

Except that for the most part, whenever we've been involved in Europe, it was at the behest of our allies in Europe. As for the right to use force- who determines that right? Is it enshrined in a global constitution? Didn't think so- probably because several nations don't have a written constitution. Regarding your comments on the ICC- read earlier posts. The ICC is as good an idea as communism was, and just as unworkable. Differing judicial systems, disagreements about precedent versus codified law, the lack of jury trials, an inadequate appeals process- there are LOTS of reasons this ICC would be a very very bad idea. The reason given by our government may be the wrong reason, but it's the right decision - that's what I the taxpayer cares about.

I agree that, perhaps, efficient european mechanisms for handling European problems are yet to be satisfactorily devised and implemented but I know I choose the first option.
    The problem is Dada, it's not your choice to make- it's the people under threat. And if your way of life was under threat in an unjust fashion, you might well choose differently. The difficulty with your choice lies in a situation where there IS no peace to keep, but which is full of peacekeepers. In other words, Bosnia-Herzegovina and Croatia before the Dayton peace accord. If an issue concerns your nation or you personally, then you have every right to express your choice- but if European allies request US intervention, and that intervention or mediation is successful (Dayton peace accord, Camp David summits, Good Friday agreement)- then it's not really something you have a say in. Any idea must have a base in pragmatic popular support for there to be any change in policy- that's the basic rule of politics.

Again, it is in Europe's best interests to get its act together, especially militarily. Not by unifying their armies, but by coordinating defence spending. No use having a single army whilst still having 6-7 redundant manufacturers. Once spending policy and construction policy have been unified, work on regional briefs. Finally, unify the executive command structure within NATO. Field commands can then remain seperate and dynamic. If it's so simple, why haven't they done it? Simple- because the welfare state is such a drain on national resources that rearming is impossible- labor markets are so static, that net growth over Europe hasn't increased significantly in 30 years. The problems are many, and the majority haven't even been addressed yet. Policy criticism is easy enough, any media hack could do it- given the right angle. But capability criticism is a necessary part of how a nation grows in stature, at least according to some.

Occy

Originally posted by Bob the Unlucky Octopus An interesting fact is that several western governments have contracted image consultants to aid with tourism, aid projection, even defence recruitment- just about every aspect of civil PR that concerns foreign policy in fact. That you point to the US example is testimony to the kind of singular media scrutiny we subject ourselves to as a superpower.

"We are subjected to", not "we subject ourselves to", unless you wish to admit or claim that the US controls the international media :)

My point is not that the US is alone in this, but rather that the US has a reason for doing this. Why change from the established norms and use marketing techniques and knowhow to modify the image of your nation abroad? Well, the only two reasons I can think of are a) You have a problem with your overseas image, and b) You want to improve your overseas image because it is of benefit to you to do so. Really, they're the same point, arent they.

So - whether the US is alone in doing this or not is not the issue. The issue is that the US has done this in a (so far failed) attempt to alleviate this negative image that they have abroad.
    Their foreign policy attitude is typically Republican, but not nearly as bad as Reagan's or Bush Senior's.

The possibility of back to war with Iraq, the resurrection of Son Of Star Wars. Ths isnt as bad as Ronnie or Dubya senior? It reads like a combination of the two at the moment.

OK - when you take the extra-ordinary out, his handling of "standard" foreign policy is probably better, I grant you that. However, from outside the US, he is not making a mark as being particularly adroit at these things.
    I'm optimistic mainly because of the way he handled 9/11- rarely has a western leader in recent history been faced with such a difficult and traumatic event as this. Or handled it as well.

Im still not convinced he did handle it all that well :

Al Qaeda has not been smashed, despite the promises that this is what the war in Afghanistan has been about.

The war in Afghanistan is not over, despite our being told months ago that it was all but finished, and that it was the most efficient, cost-effective war ever. Funnily - the Russians had an easy time of it in Afghanistan for the first year or three as well. I'm not doom-prophecying here, I'm just saying that it is far from over.

Add to that the internationally questioned issues of human rights concerning the Gitmo "detainees" (cant call them prisoners, cause prisoners would have more rights).

But enough of that. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and mine is more critical than yours in this situation.

Lets look honestly at why this is so.

You are not a Republican. Therefore, while you have a certain allegiance to your nation, you have no direct allegiance to your nation's leader at the moment. If anything, you will be critical of him when his policies differ from those you fundamentally believe in, and supportive of his decisions when they match your beliefs. I know this to be true - I've seen you post on both sides - you are not a rabid "if its not my party its wrong" believer :)

I'm sure, however, that you wouldnt expect a Republican to sit down and agree with you when you calmly explain why his beliefs are wrong, and yours are right regarding the political direction the nation should take.

But, you are an American. No offense, but this automatically disqualifies you from trying to argue why non-American perception of the US is wrong. In the same way that you wouldnt expect a Republican to agree with your beliefs, you shouldnt expect a non-American to agree with the American perception of America.

To me, as a non-American, the USA promotes itself shamelessly to the entire world as the great bastion of freedom, liberty, deomcracy, blah blah blah. The world no longer swallows this, which has led to an increasing image problem, which in turn has led to the US trying to market "Brand USA" as mentioned before.

Even if America really does stand for freedom, liberty, democracy, etc. and so on and so forth, that is not the issue. The issue is that the image you project abroad does not support the image you promote abroad...if you see what I mean.

This dichotomy is essentially what underlies much of the US-bsahing sentiment. Not all, but much of it. Telling us that we've got the US all wrong, or that we dont understand it, or that its not promoting itself to us but rather to itself and we're just importing the same broadcasts doesnt matter a toss. It doesnt change our perception, no more than you explaining to a Republican or Democrat why his idealogical beliefs are wrong and yours are right would change his or her beliefs.

If America is worried about its image abroad, there is a simple solution. It has to change the way it projects its image, either through what it says, through what it does, or both. Simply telling us that we're misunderstanding things is only likely to further damage its image.

And now...I'm off for a weeks holidays. I will not be web-enabled on holidays, so I wont see any followup to this for 8 or 9 days. Just so yer all warned ;)

jc

My point is not that the US is alone in this, but rather that the US has a reason for doing this. Why change from the established norms and use marketing techniques and knowhow to modify the image of your nation abroad?
    Because marketing is a none-too-subtle part of diplomacy. I doubt even our current President is dim-witted enough to believe that a bit of diplomatic and marketing spin is enough to subvert half a century of hatred precipitated by our foreign policy. That sort of spin is something our allies are amenable to, not our enemies.

The possibility of back to war with Iraq, the resurrection of Son Of Star Wars. Ths isnt as bad as Ronnie or Dubya senior? It reads like a combination of the two at the moment. OK - when you take the extra-ordinary out, his handling of "standard" foreign policy is probably better, I grant you that. However, from outside the US, he is not making a mark as being particularly adroit at these things.
    He has never been adroit at anything, with the possible exception of business. But most Americans are sick of adroit politicians, "Slick Willy" was the last straw for some- they prefer a bluff and bold style atm. A good school-friend of mine put it rather well. "Bush," said he, "is like the hole in a doughnut- he surrounds himself with substantial intelligence, though he himself is dumber than sh*t". Which sums up most presidencies, but especially this one.

Still- I would point out that the "possibility of war" with Iraq, shouldn't count against him- it hasn't happened yet. If it does, I intend to exercise my right to protest in a number of ways. He'll never have my vote, but if he does that, I won't tolerate it lying down, and I doubt any libretarian would. I don't doubt that Iraq & the world would be a better place without Saddam- in that I'm in agreement with the current administration. But the West as a whole, us in particular, have a poor record as far as treatment of the average Iraqi citizen goes. I don't doubt that war would destroy their way of life, perhaps beyond rebuilding, which is one reason why I'm against it. Not to mention that we're committing American lives far from home for the benefit of domestic dollars per barrel of crude. As for the new Star Wars programme- I'll be greatly suprised if any President will ever commit spending to something like that. It has the potential, nay the likelihood, of becoming the greatest white elephant since the Great Wall. In some ways I hope he goes ahead with the plan, it'd likely finish him off politically.

But, you are an American. No offense, but this automatically disqualifies you from trying to argue why non-American perception of the US is wrong. In the same way that you wouldnt expect a Republican to agree with your beliefs, you shouldnt expect a non-American to agree with the American perception of America.

None taken jc- and your point is well received. I'm not your typical American, having lived abroad for many years etc- but you're right. I haven't exactly got my thumb firmly on the pulse of anti-American sentiment- mainly because it's rarely well-defined or well-balanced (at least in my experience). There's no getting away from my bias, but I do my best to present my views in as balanced a fashion as possible.

As for said views- there is still a lot about my government's policies that I have a problem with, not least the "tax cut" he's pushed. My purpose of arguing as I did was in part to demonstrate that there is method behind the madness of Kyoto and the recent ICC debacles. I call them debacles, because that's what they were in diplomatic terms. Pragmatically- there is little compelling evidence that climate change is greatly influenced by human activity- and an ICC would be a poor idea imho. Given that not a single system of justice on this planet is free of miscarriages, I find it abhorrent that a universal standard be applied via an ICC. Though as I said- I don't agree with using peace-keeping missions as a stick to get our own way(even though I'm against us contributing the bulk of UN-SFOR), at best- the manner of it looks childish.

If America is worried about its image abroad, there is a simple solution. It has to change the way it projects its image, either through what it says, through what it does, or both. Simply telling us that we're misunderstanding things is only likely to further damage its image.

No arguments there- the terrorist witch-hunt looks like getting out of hand, and I'm not terribly keen to hang around and see the consequences. The only way we're going to change perceptions is as you said- and those perceptions need changing- in those very terrorist breeding grounds for a start. Hunting them down isn't a long-term solution, only a radical shift in foreign policy will do, but even that will take time. As I said though, in the short run I'm fearful, but for the long run, I'm very hopeful indeed. That might be naive of me, but we'll see :) Enjoy your hol's jc, hope you look this thread up when you get back ;)

Occy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 880 ✭✭✭Von

A realist, and a liar. He's been caught perjuring himself more than once at a Congressional hearing in the interest of obtaining IPR obligatories. I'll listen to him as soon as he acquaints himself with the truth, or at least an air of consistency. His views are vile and vulgar to most Americans- as are Jorg Heider's to most Austrians. Yet Heider occupies a position of power, and Kaplan is confined to the political cult author's section of the neo-Republican roadshow. Something tells me the former scenario is more dangerous.
    Haven’t heard anything about him being a perjurer but being a liar doesn’t seem to be a hindrance in political or military affairs. A few years ago, his views would have been laughed at, now he gets support from the big boys like fukuyama, kissinger and huntington. His book came out before all this ‘axis of evil’ bollocks was mentioned and since then events seem to be following the script he’s laid out. That’s why I think he’s worth checking up on. He might not have any direct personal influence on policy, but its his kind of thinking which has appeared to have emerged into the mainstream.

Originally posted by Von

Haven’t heard anything about him being a perjurer but being a liar doesn’t seem to be a hindrance in political or military affairs.
    Tell that one to Nixon, McNamara or Slick Willy Clinton- the latter may be laughing all the way to the bank, but his legacy will hardly be what he could have wished for. The other two have been villified appropriately- the 11th commandment of politics is "thou shall not get caught"- but history shows that you're going to get caught sooner or later: no such thing as a "perfect conspiracy".

A few years ago, his views would have been laughed at, now he gets support from the big boys like fukuyama, kissinger and huntington. His book came out before all this ‘axis of evil’ bollocks was mentioned and since then events seem to be following the script he’s laid out. That’s why I think he’s worth checking up on. He might not have any direct personal influence on policy, but its his kind of thinking which has appeared to have emerged into the mainstream.

It's more than a stretch to make the assertion that kissinger or huntingdon's thinking are mainstream in any way. In fact, Kissinger's policies had dire consequences for both Lyndon B. and Richard R.- the two Presidents who adopted his line of political thought. Why? Because mainstream federal and media investigators discovered the consequences of such policies before they were able to do substantive harm. Machiavellian methods are undoubtedly going to be employed in politics- any spectrum of politics faces this: but it will never be accepted by the mainstream. Never has, never will be- not as long as we keep reminding ourselves of the reality behind mainstream discrimination. Not to mention the fact that unlawful discrimination has become an irrevocable part of the federal legal system. Kaplan is likely looking forward to increased sales- temporary measures being adopted by the executive favor strategies he's advocated for a while- you'll forgive me if I'm suspicious of a writer self-promoting biased views as soon as a small section of the executive finds them fashionable to discuss :P

You admit he has no direct influence on policy- to claim that his written work is the modern equivalent of Das Kapital as has been suggested by more than one ACLU radical looking for publishing support- isn't just a stretch, it's just plain wrong. The current administration's views are prejudiced by circumstance, not by a fundamental policy shift. This is plainly obvious if you look at the response of the legislature to recent executive bills- a 44% increase in deliberative proceedings, and a 23% increase in the dismissals of presidential bills, executive orders and CiC directives by Congress. While it's important to recognize that there are forces at work in the executive that might well work against the public interest, this is why Congress is elected: to curb the powers of the executive.

Such checks and balances are what help me to sleep at night, and allow most people to make the distinction between what a President's administration/advisors intend and what the government model allows them to achieve. If our courts and legislature were under direct control of the executive Von, I might well be as fearful as you. Given that this isn't the case, I'm confident that neither the legislature, nor the Justice system will pay the slightest heed to a man who has perjured himself under oath in front of them. As such, even if Donald Rumsfeld and Condoleeza did fancy his views- their executive power is limited by advice they offer to the President which he may or may not take- and which may or may not be approved by Congress. Recent evidence suggests that none of Kaplan's policy predictions have been taken to heart by the legislature, at least not for the long haul. I can't think of a single law that doesn't fall under EEP's that's been passed with respect to this. Congress will soon want feedback on how effective executive measures have been- and public fiascos like the horrendous manner in which the prosecution of the "dirty bomber" have been handled, the executive will have to tread a good deal more lightly than people might think. Tempest in a teapot.

Occy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by bonkey
    The war in Afghanistan is not over, despite our being told months ago that it was all but finished, and that it was the most efficient, cost-effective war ever. Funnily - the Russians had an easy time of it in Afghanistan for the first year or three as well. I'm not doom-prophecying here, I'm just saying that it is far from over.
    The direct comparison with the Russian war is wrong, while both wars are / were asymmetric "in theatre", the Russian war was, in reality, war by proxy between the superpowers, much like the American war in Vietnam.

Advertisement