Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Centre map

• 15-06-2002 8:00pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭

I suggested this a while ago and it generated loads of interest, but it's a real bitch to do. I've got a fair bit of the northside done, but i'll need some help from fellow mappers.
    I'm going for a 1916 risig theme.
    what i need most is:
    1. statues, from any modellers out there, especielly Parnell.
    2. prefabs of trinity, any of the churches, GPO, and anywhere hard I haven't thought of yet. oh, and a two-person gunboat.
    3. textures. many inners city grey-brick textures
    4. and if possible, a map and any photos of inner city dublin.
    Thanx, and any help at all is welcome, cause this is one hell of a project. send anything you can spare to Robbb_mm@hotmail.com

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

You can use the wads for the GPO in caen. It looks pritty similar. There are loads of links to wad sites i found ill post the links but im on a diferant OS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

You might want to say which game its for so plp understand, DoD hl mod.

That is all....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

tbh, if you get all those things then you wont need to do anything yourselfbut fit the prefabs together...

maybe have a go at trying someting yourself? It'll be easier to help once we see that somework has been done... screenshots and whatnot

if ur makin the 1916 rising, u wont need parnell cause he wasnt built yet, and ull need nelsons pillar etc..... look at OLD pictures of dub as opposed to new ones.:p

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Hmmm - I remember this being discussed before...

Cant remember who started the thread (I think it was DBC) but people came in with layouts and maps of the actual city center, photos and the likes...

Seeing as you've asked for statues, I really doubt you're making this for HL seeing as it would cause slight hiccups having models used as statues in HL.

I can't be of much help, seeing as I've rarely been to Dublin, but I do have some dirty / grey brick type wads at home and I can give you a list of a few to look out for...

Might have it by tommorow if that helps... Im guessing wadfather would be a relatively ok place to look for Wads also...

• Advertisement

you can find lots of texture sites linked in the Sticky thread at the top of this board.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

thanx, it's all a help. all i got done today is the back-ally to the right of the GPO. not henry st, the other side..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

thats called princes lane iirc

does anyone know what the hell was different about dublin 100 years ago?? apart from horses and ann summers and obvious things like that. i got a bi book of "Pictures of Dublin" but there's loads of crap to be filled in between the important buildings. and how far back and and up th quays should i go? i ain't doin anymo work than i has to.

go to IOL SERVER POLL thread for screenshots (P3)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Dont want to rock the boat or anything but a map of Stephens green park would be cool for a game of CS

Originally posted by robbb_mm
    go to IOL SERVER POLL thread for screenshots (P3)

have you a link to this thread?

*SIGH*
    here ya go

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=53609&perpage=20&pagenumber=3

just lash that in and off you go!! it's important to remember that these were taken about a week ago and have been updated i.e windows and other luxuries.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

May I ask what program you're currently using to map!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

yes what are using and for which game.
    I am going to do that with Mohradiant and GTKradiaent when it supports Mohaa (1.3 will).
    As Mohaa has nearly all the right textures for it.
    kdja

The program is Quark, QUake ARmy Knife :D

it's better the worldcraft in that it's not as restrictive in space and it's easier to do more basic things - it's literally click and draw.
    p.s I checked out the site drake, it's brill and dead handy, my only suggestion is make the wads easier to download and a simpler layout.
    Apart from that, really useful, thanx.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,457 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Originally posted by robbb_mm
    does anyone know what the hell was different about dublin 100 years ago??

Everything. cos the street had to be rebuilt after 1916. The Bank of Ireland dates from 1917 and I think Clerys from 1923 or so.

Ok groovy. I know i have what was Carlisle st (is now O'connell st) done. heres that latest screenshots for everyone to enjoy. i'll admit i havent done a tap of work since the last ones, but some nice new additions are a near perfect replice of O'Connell bridge and other crap. i'm trying to concentrat on making the north quays a better place for the Irish to cnipe. What does anyone think of having the Proclamation of the Irish Republic as the level description?? it's a gorgoues piece of writing and i think i'd be real good to stick in there.

and another...

• Advertisement

and if anyone wants to tell me how to post more than one attachment at the same time they're most welcome...

please complete the message field...

nice work so far bob, keep it up and we can shhow those british bastards [finally the annoying brit pack might come in handy]

im nearly finished those misc. buildings for u to chuck up and down the street.

:D

textures look misaligned in the first pic...but not a bad start

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 manic1

there where trams on the streets back then so you might want to but some tracks on the road and there was no central devide
    on the roads just statues

"and there was no central devide
    on the roads just statues"

your half-right. there was a divide on o'connell bridge, but its true there were just statues in the streets and i've taken care of that. well, except for the statues. and i fixed the texture alighment and some (one) of the buildings have really cool places to snipe. it's actually turning out pretty more realistic than i'd hoped. oh,a nd the shots don't ehow you everything...:)

Originally posted by Jimeatsmenu
    nice work so far bob, keep it up and we can shhow those british bastards [finally the annoying brit pack might come in handy

Did I mention I was English!?
    The last time there was discussion of the old style Irish Mod, the thread degraded into bull**** about how "what the other bloke said wasn't really racist blah blah blah" - "English are blah blah"

If history repeats itself I'll be waiting to neutralize this problem with an obese spanner....

Continue.

sorry, no offense meant, just a bit of ye olde craic u understand.:D :p:D

don't worry, i've had some very nationalist suggestions but i'm trying to keep the politics to a minimum.

• Advertisement

Don't worry, im not a humourless golem that doesn't see the funny side - Just try to keep it at a minimum, because a perfectly good thread spiralled into political debates because of this in the past - Something that should never happen on a Game Editing Board...

Advertisement