Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin City Centre map

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

ok, i'll slap up a thread about the site. on the map in question, it's 66% complete, bearing in mind the longest thing i had to do was learn to step awayt from Worldcraft and become familiar with quark. screenshots up tomorrow!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Humm... this time please try not to have hugh amounts of fog all over the screen..... twas a bit annoying.

I still have DoD 2.1 on my PC so if it doesnt work with 3.0 ill be able to play it but as far as i know the dod maps for 3.0 are the same as the 2.1 ones so there should be no problem.

Its only if you were to make a para map you might have some problems. I hope you got the DoD 3.0 FGD yolk i posted on the other thread.. Quark have also released some stuff on there site for DoD 3.0 here's what it says:
    Updated - Day of Defeat beta 3.0 entities
    There was a problem with yesterdays DataHL.QRK file. It contained some properties, which only QuArK 6.3 has support for. I've fixed that, so this updated DataHL.QRK now works with QuArK 6.2 also: DataHL_20020714.zip .

http://dynamic.gamespy.com/~quark/ - Quark Site

got rid of fog. screenshots comin soon...

ok.

drake, they're not of the map but they ARE related.
    we're hoping to release a sort of DoD Theme pack, namely an irish theme. it will include so far: 2 maps(u know aboot them)
    new flags, tricolour w/harp
    (they're REALLY GOOD flags
    by Manic)
    headings, buttons etc replaced

we hope to get : new models/skins. Raven this means you, no-one else seems to be able to do it. i went to the musuem today and had a loook at the uniforms and firearms. they're pretty cool, you should have fun makin them. i'll put up some pics of them soon.
    as for now, here's a taster of what we've done with DoD so far...

[IMG]http://C:\My Documents\dodirishflag.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://C:\My Documents\dodscreenpreview1.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]"C:\My Documents\dodscreenpreview2.jpg"[/IMG]

• Advertisement

this is hard. i'll just do it my normal if a little spacewasting way

i can't help noticing this isn't working. ONE more time...

number 2...

last one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

You cant use the IMG tags on url's from your own computer. You need to upload to your own webspace, shouldnt wbe too hard, you get 2mb off boards for this :D

• Advertisement

Looks great.... Where did you get all thoese pictures from though :confused:

Hows the map coming along though... cant wait to see it on a server or two! Ill set it up on a 2man lan in my house :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

For your new splash screen you should try and use dark colours other wise the text is hard to see on the buttons.

yeah i'm still looking for a sub for it. got the Gpo finished.

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Or you could simply reduce the brightness of the picture with PhotoShop...

It took quite a while for me to perfect my VAR Mod Splash pic, so don't expect to get it perfect on the first go. Other than that, I like it. The buttons are quite nice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

but the pic was from the civil war, and not 1916, so he'll have to change it anyway:p

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.
    Spanner in the works, anyone!?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 manic1

when i made that splash screen it was only temp screen
    while isort out the avi for the main menu the splash will be a full colour front pic of the gpo during the 1916 rising and it is lookin sweet

i've seen it tis most sweet. we've got the last few bars of Aran na Mbhiann replacing the DoD Victory song.
    map news comin soon... its BIG news

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Robb when do you want me to make your models? I thought you were gonna send me pics or something.

ok the map has really taken shape, i'll be able to release a release date soon. in the meantime here are the latest screenshots...

happy to announce the north quays are nearing completion, all i've got to do are 2 unfinished buildings u can see in the foreground

• Advertisement

i've really not been looking forward to doing the south quays. perhaps i'm a little biased. judge for yourself.
    if you're a southsider, you'll be pretty angry after downloading this picture. but please, don't take my total apathy for you personally...

IT'S THE EASON'S CLOCK!!!! this took 10 seconds but i'm still proud. i've since added the actual clock. I'll show you easons when it's finished. i couldn't be arsed making the shop beside it so its just rubble. anything i don't want to do becomes rubble.

its in there......

this is where i put all the crap i don't want anymore so i don't have to delete it. i was looking for something to take a pic of for u people and i thought, "People are going to be sorely pissed after downloading this."
    so here u go...

[PISSED ORF]
    oh
    my
    god.

This 6page thread has all been about that? Good god. I could whip that up in 10 minutes. All of it!
    [/PISSED ORF]
    [CRITICISM][BEINGAWANKER]
    Map is uber bland. No details or anything. ast tie i was in Dublin I was sure i saw buildings, no big huge empty spaces. None of the textures you use are suitable to the time period and most of them are even aligned incorrectly.

Building exteriors are not made of indoor office walls (last time i checked)

Eason's clock pic, south quays,wasteofspace walls pics are all totally irrelevant. Probly would have been better had you not posted them. The only pic wth promise (albeit a small amount) was the first one, and even then i can spt some major texture mistakes.

If this looks/plays well I'll eat my hat.
    [/CRITISICM][/BEINGAWANKER]

I had to get this off my chest. You understand I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Patrick

What program do u use to design those maps and what program to view them?

one of the first things i learned about mapmaking is that people are vultures, always nagging at you for more details, screenshots, info, and i was getting pretty angry about all that, so releasing crap screenshots and making people download them was my way of getting that off my chest.
    you'll ge proper ones tommorow... promise

Originally posted by DRakE
    This 6page thread has all been about that? Good god. I could whip that up in 10 minutes. All of it!

Most of this thread is spam now dont forget that. :D
    Originally posted by DRakE
    Good god. I could whip that up in 10 minutes. All of it!

Its the first real map rob's done, in the sence that its gonna be avelable to download. Its not gonna be the best map the world has ever seen. Id say lots of us made lots of maps that dont live up to your standards :D:D (Dont kill me .... joke).

I think it looks great.... dont know why the tunnel is in there though.... its kinda a mix of everything since 1916 and not just stuff in 1916 ... still cant wait to play it. If you make sturmbot waypoints for it come over to my gaff and we will have a lan on my 2 PC's with a load of bots :D

ooh, i;m tingligh with excitement. as for the tunnel, i'll explain that in person, it;s a SECRET! SHHH!
    and whenever you're ready winters, i've got 53 ****ing tutorials, faq's, hints, wads, prefabs, and a whole load of other ****e taking up half my hard disk when u want it :)

• Advertisement

Originally posted by robbb_mm
    one of the first things i learned about mapmaking is that people are vultures, always nagging at you for more details, screenshots, info, and i was getting pretty angry about all that, so releasing crap screenshots and making people download them was my way of getting that off my chest.
    you'll ge proper ones tommorow... promise

Do you not think that releasing terrible screenshots (ie the hollow rusty box you call a tunnel) will just entice people to ask for better screenshots? Tbh, they are nothing to get excited over. And please dont post "in-editor" screenshots.. At least have the "cop on" to post them ingame. They WILL look better.

Advertisement