Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Postgrads

• 15-06-2002 8:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭

With the exams being over and all that I'm no longer an undergraduate. I'm thinking of going back to do a (funded) research postgraduate (Masters) in IT.

Anyone else here considering going back to do a Postgrad?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭phobos

At last we're post grads, thank God.

I just got my honours B.Sc. confirmed the other day, and I've applied to do the M.Sc. in Software Design & Development in NUI Galway. If all goes to plan, we shouldn't be too far away.

Good luck with your application :)

;-phobos-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Originally posted by phobos
    At last we're post grads, thank God.

I just got my honours B.Sc. confirmed the other day, and I've applied to do the M.Sc. in Software Design & Development in NUI Galway. If all goes to plan, we shouldn't be too far away.

Good luck with your application :)

;-phobos-)

Show off :) Nice one m8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

Personally I think that the "taught" programmes are aimed more towards people who wish to move to an IT area. I think that fully research style postgrads much better suit people with prior IT/Eng qualifications.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭alb

If you've already got a degree in engineering or IT or sth I wouldn't bother doing a taught masters. It's prolly a waste of time and you have to pay to do it anyway. As Leeroy said its really for ppl from other backgrounds moving into IT. I started a research PG in April.... getting paid to go back to uni isn't half bad. You'd wanna make sure you are doing research in sth you're interested in though, or it could be very boring. Nice relaxed atmosphere though and no fixed hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 447 ✭✭cerebus

Originally posted by alb
    You'd wanna make sure you are doing research in sth you're interested in though, or it could be very boring.

I'd second that - anyone considering a research-based post-grad should keep it in mind. Make sure you do something you're interested in. It makes all the difference!

Just as an aside, taught post-graduate qualifications shouldn't be dismissed out of hand - look at the US system, where very often a significant proportion of a PhD student's time is spent on graduate-level courses (though the research and subsequent thesis will still be the dominant/most important component).

Having said that, a large number of the taught Masters in IT/Engineering offered in Irish third-level institutions do seem to be designed as conversion-type courses...

• Advertisement
Advertisement