Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Debs

Options
  • 15-06-2002 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭

So whos going to there debs?

Now, what needs to be sorted and by whom - guy/girl/whos grad it is?

Do i need to get the guy anything if he's coming to mine, etc.?

/me is slightly tired and clueless but actually bought a dress today!

<< Fio >>

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I decided against going to the Debs this year.
    I went last year {I did TY} and tbh...ahh...I've had better nights.
    Twas in the Red Cow Inn...watered down spirits...inflated prices...

So I said I'd save myself the 70-80 odd euro and blow it on the town with meh mates.

Things get sorted by whos Debs it is.
    They'll have all the times and whatnot etc etc.

Afaik...gal gets guy nought.
    Guys brings alllll....least thats what I did...was my Debs tho...:)

Whatever...enjoy the night smiles

:eek: !
    I'm thinking there should be a sticky for Debs photos so we can all see smiles in her dress!
    YAY!

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lenny

Originally posted by Kaimera
    I've had better nights.
    Twas in the Red Cow Inn...watered down spirits...inflated prices...

No wonder you had a bad time..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

I've decided against going to the debs thing next year or whenver it's been set for, it's too much to pay for what doesn't look like a great night out.

(deja vu - have I posted this before?)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Yeah what exactly do ya bring the girl ther is that little flower thingy and is that it ?

apart from drinks and blah di blah.

Dont know why someone wouldnt goto there debs. Like who cares about how much it costs its the last time you will see half the people. If the drink is watered down either A) Bring your own :) Or B) Drink twice as much :) or even C) Drink before hand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Mills

I wasn't going to bother my arse going but it's the last time I'll ever see a lot of the people from the class, and the last time I'll see them as a "class", so it'd be a shame not to go I suppose.

The problem I now have because I left it too late to decide if I was going is finding someone to go with, all my female friends have already sorted someone to go with see, and school's finished now so I won't see the ones I don't know that well again to possibly ask one of them. My current plan is to leave it up until a few weeks beforehand and give one of my female friends that knows what everyone else is at a ring, and find out who's stuck for someone to go with then ask them, doing us both a favour. Does anyone see any flaws with that plan I haven't spotted? I'd just as happily go on my own if it came to it, I'm only going for the laugh, don't take the whole "Debs" thing seriously at all, but the way I see it there's bound to be someone who didn't get anyone to go with and who would be embarassed to go on their own....

If anyone would like to apply to accompany me instead, contact me via pm or e-mail and we can arrange an interview.

(NB. Male applicants are welcomed but should note that one of the requirements of filling this position is wearing a dress. Applicants should also note that supplying own dress is required.)

Interviews shall be held via IRC or e-mail.

Applications close on July 15th 2002 (Debs is end of August).

Richard Mills is an equal opportunities employer. No time wasters please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Lo Mills Ill go with you no problem but I cant take you to mine! Sorry, We can party babeh! Your Paying right? And you wear the dress. Anything after the Debs will cost ya!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

its the last time you will see half the people.

all the more reason NOT to go....dopes the majority of them...

Btw...I drank over £100 quid between me and her and I was still stone cold sober when I got back to her place the next morning.

Lo Mills Ill go with you no problem but I cant take you to mine! Sorry, We can party babeh! Your Paying right? And you wear the dress. Anything after the Debs will cost ya!

Like I said, applicants must be willing to wear the dress, and provide their own dress, so if you're interested in making a serious offer then use one of the methods of communication specified (e-mail or PM).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭phaxx

Originally posted by Kaimera
    all the more reason NOT to go....dopes the majority of them...

Ditto that. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭damnyanks

Your meant to have the person lined up already ? Thats a bit mad its months away or am I the only person who thinks that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Originally posted by damnyanks
    Your meant to have the person lined up already ? Thats a bit mad its months away or am I the only person who thinks that ?

yer i agree with ya. I was asked and i said why dont we to and see till closer the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by damnyanks
    Originally posted by smiles
    /me is slightly tired and clueless but actually bought a dress today!

Unlike men, women need a months notice at the very least. 2 months if they've never been to a debs before.

I'd advise people to go. I hated most of the people in my school, but still went and had a laugh. As long as you invite a girl who'll be good company, ie a good friend, you'll have a laugh. Plus you get to see your teachers locked and no doubt a fight between those to gobsh1tes you've hated since 1st year. (My gf's debs, there was blood all over the gents by 2 o clock, yum). It'll also prepare you for the uncomfortable yet strangely empowering feeling of wearing a tux.

(Oh and Blacktie, or whoever you rent your suit from will provide the corsage, you only have to remember the chocs!)

:)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Mills... just go out to wherever they go on weekends mate. That's the best place to ask them because they'll probably be enjoying themselves so much that they will forget how to reject someone. Not that it will happen.

Plus the fact that if there are students out from the years below yours, they will be throwing themselves at you. It happened to me on Saturday night and I ain't no ****ing Enrique Inglesias (quite the opposite actually). Try it man.

If I wasn't going to London on sunday for possibly the rest of the summer I'd do that :).

I already have one or two people that I could bring but I'd like to go with someone who is a laugh and I get on well with :).

Originally posted by Mills
    If I wasn't going to London on sunday for possibly the rest of the summer I'd do that :).

I already have one or two people that I could bring but I'd like to go with someone who is a laugh and I get on well with :).
    Indeed... thats what I'm trying to do too. I was going to ask one of my friends on Saturday night but she wasn't out. She is definately gonna be out this Saturday and I will do so then. Ask whoever your intending on asking NOW before its too late. I have to ask this Saturday because I probably won't see her for another month or so cos I'll be in America

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

Does anyone see any flaws with that plan I haven't spotted?

ya could get stuck with a rotter? :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

hmmmmmm...
    You guys do know that Fio's only excited about this 'cause she gets to go with me, yeah? ;)

Well, I was at my own Debs and I went to my mates Debs the same year (we were each other's partners). There's nothing like putting on a tux and getting pissed as a fart - a practice I partake in regularly (but that's another set of stories).

However, it's been a long time since those 2 Debs' (September 1996) and they were good enough except (at the second - mine!) my partner shot me down when I asked if she wanted to be more than mates and then headed away with my best mate (but I'm not bitter - I went and got 12 more cans and drank most of them within the next 3 hours). Of course, I don't mind telling you that at the time, I was very, very drunk (actually, I was loutishly drunk - the best way to be).

It's a great opportunity to meet the folk you spent 5 or 6 years with for one last time and while you mightn't have been great mates with any (or all) of them, it's an emotional enough time - there'll be lots of "You know whash? You're a bollickssshhhh, but yer *hick* allrighsh... *blurgh*" going on. I don't recall if many teachers went to ours, but if they did, I'd possibly have bought them a pint.

Anyway, is it still the same routine? Flowers and chockys for m'lady, get there and get b33r, have a plate of nosebag and then more b33r into the smallest of hours?

Fio hun, does your school have any strange requirements for the Debs that muck-savages west of the Shannon like me mightn't be aware of? Do you need to wear a Corsage (didn't bother with that at ours) and if so, where's a good place to get one (I suppose any florist would suffice, yeah)? Is standard black-tie (i.e. Tux and tie) OK - no need for whatever it is they call those things fellas wear around their belly (over the shirt) or the frilly bits on the shirt?

Oh yeah, should I bring a big dirty bong and enough d00b (and by that I mean Oxo Cubes) for everyone? :D

mmmmmmmmmm - lots of 17/18 year old girls dolled up to the nines - how can I loose!
    /me ducks Fio's swinging fist
    Just kidding hun!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭SheroN

our debs went stale after the cops were called and took one of my class mates away for dealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭smiles

Originally posted by Kharn
    hmmmmmm...
    You guys do know that Fio's only excited about this 'cause she gets to go with me, yeah? ;)

he wishes, :rolleyes: :)
    Fio hun, does your school have any strange requirements for the Debs that muck-savages west of the Shannon like me mightn't be aware of? Do you need to wear a Corsage (didn't bother with that at ours) and if so, where's a good place to get one (I suppose any florist would suffice, yeah)? Is standard black-tie (i.e. Tux and tie) OK - no need for whatever it is they call those things fellas wear around their belly (over the shirt) or the frilly bits on the shirt?

Usually there's corsages, as for the vesty thing... erg, i'll find out, i think so but i'm not sure.

mmmmmmmmmm - lots of 17/18 year old girls dolled up to the nines - how can I loose!
    /me ducks Fio's swinging fist
    Just kidding hun!

*sniff* now i know why he's going.

As for getting photos of me in a dress??? :) Nah, check out www.yorema.com/nerds for photos of lots of the folks on here and feel free to msg me links to yer photos and i'll throw them up, 'mkay?

<< Fio >>

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Sparkle

Our prick of a head mistress wouldn't allow us to fundraise for the debs so our tickets are somthing like E60. The bus for 15 miles is going to cost E2,500! they're charging from the time they collect us thats evening to the time the following morningabout 12 hours! I still think its robbery!
    Haven't decided wheither I'm going or not yet, but no-one in our year has made a decision on who they're inviting, apart from those selected "specail" people!

• Advertisement

Originally posted by Sparkle
    Our prick of a head mistress wouldn't allow us to fundraise for the debs so our tickets are somthing like E60. The bus for 15 miles is going to cost E2,500! they're charging from the time they collect us thats evening to the time the following morningabout 12 hours! I still think its robbery!
    Haven't decided wheither I'm going or not yet, but no-one in our year has made a decision on who they're inviting, apart from those selected "specail" people!
    I reckon you find this head mistress's house. Go up to her car, with some tractor oil (get it off your local farmer for a pair of wellies) and pour it all over the bonnet of her car. That should teach her to be more respectful to students in the future.

I know a few lads that done this before and got pictures of the vice-principals face when he saw it aswell! Priceless!

Jesus kid!

Listen, refuse that bus, ring around and organise your own.

One that will drop you there and then go away and pick you up in the morning!

My bus (just home, we have to organise our own way up) to my grad (which is about FIFTY miles away) is costing me a fiver home each.

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

What's the story with guests at these debs things? Do they have to pay? I mean assuming they're not looking for the set dinners and going by their own transport etc.

Originally posted by Oeneus
    What's the story with guests at these debs things? Do they have to pay? I mean assuming they're not looking for the set dinners and going by their own transport etc.

What do you mean by guests?

The person you bring? Or what?

<< Fio >>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭Oeneus

Well I know my sister when she was in 4th and 5th year she went to many debs parties just for the crack.

I have now left Ireland but intend coming back for the debs as it's probably the only time that I'm going to see everyone in the same room again. But...I never paid the deposit. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Oeneus
    Well I know my sister when she was in 4th and 5th year she went to many debs parties just for the crack.

I have now left Ireland but intend coming back for the debs as it's probably the only time that I'm going to see everyone in the same room again. But...I never paid the deposit. :rolleyes:

Generally the 'done' thing is the bringer pays for all the bringees stuff. Of course, as it was for me, if it's a gf/bf situation, they other half will usually pay for themselves, especially if you're going to their debs as well. Besides, everything is pretty much sorted, you only have to pay for alcohol, and women get drunk easily, so you'll be way more expensive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Sparkle

I know, we did say cancel the bus and get our own way, but half the year started whingin' about, "aw but it would be soo much better if we all went together!!" WTH?
    I dunno, how do they expect a cheaper bus, if they don't want to travel in smaller groups?We'll all be there together long enough in my opinion!

Originally posted by Sparkle
    I know, we did say cancel the bus and get our own way, but half the year started whingin' about, "aw but it would be soo much better if we all went together!!" WTH?
    I dunno, how do they expect a cheaper bus, if they don't want to travel in smaller groups?We'll all be there together long enough in my opinion!

Check how much it would cost to book the buses to get you there only, and then book a second time for the buses to take you home (with a different co. if needs be). €2,500 is a bit steep, especially considering the drivers won't even be doing anything for 6/7/8 hours while you're in there. The bus isn't anything special anyway. It gets hot, annoying after 20 mins, and the women have awful trouble getting on and off with their dresses. :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Originally posted by seamus

Generally the 'done' thing is the bringer pays for all the bringees stuff.
    `

in that case ill go to anybody's debs.... (even yours mills, how bad can wearing a dress be)

free booze sure.

dial 1800-chief-debs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Originally posted by smiles
    Do i need to get the guy anything if he's coming to mine, etc.?
    Yes. Drunk.

Advertisement