Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

John Carpenters Ghosts Of Mars

• 16-06-2002 12:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭

Anyone else reccomend it?

I thought it was a great no brainer,with another classic score by John Carpenter,played by Anthrax and Bucket Head.
    The Plot was a complete steal of every film you have ever seen ever,From Aliens to final fantasy to assault on precint 13 to dusk til dawn to total recall to the green mile half the fun was trying to figure out where you had seen that scene before.
    Some great performances and some very gory yet very funny set pieces,
    the guy who gets his arm severed,then pulls out a pistol continues firing /and the scene where the crackhead cuts his thumb off whilst preparing homemade explosives

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭BJJ

It started Cool like a mix between a Zombie flick, and some Sci-Fi flash back horror with cool FX ( Total Recal/ Event Horizon) .

But 20 mins into the film, the dumb Fat Ass Ice-Cube appears with his crap one liners "Ma Hommies" "You don't No wa it's like me and ma brother growin up!" destroying all hope of a good flick.

I spent the next hour waiting for him to die
    But no such luck, such a pity as it would have made a good ending

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I havent seen this film but in fairness Ice Cube is a pretty good actor. I've seen him in quite a few films and he has always put in a solid preformance. Afterall he doesnt write the script, it's not his fault if the dialogue for his character is typical ebonics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Ice Cube destroyed the film utterly!
    And that downright retarted ending!? Jesus! Just ****ing shut up!

Terrible, since I'm quite a fan of John Carpenter's works.
    Halloween, The Fog, The Thing, and all the way up to Vampires...
    But this was just terrible!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭Karma

Knew it was going to be bad but I was wrong. It gave me a warm feeling inside all the way thru the movie. Like being the Captain on the Titanic -Seeing the Iceberg but hoping to fcuk the something will happen to save you and your loved ones.
    Good moment - the credits looked nice.
    Please if John carpenter does another movie, KEEP him away from the soundtrack. Kharns Kareoke is better.
    :)

One flatmate was saved by falling asleep and My Girlfriend & I battered thru-Just recovering now to make this post.
    RogueDotC
    Back to real bullets

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

the single worst film i can remember seeing. appalling writing, dreadful acting, terrible direction (did carpenter do this over the phone?) Cheap sets, and utterly utterly boring.
    The music was piss as well.
    a waste of an hour and a half of my life.

• Advertisement

I really can't understand how a director that was so good, can sink to some stinking pile of **** like this?

The film started out ok, with some quite suspensefull moments.
    But the second Ice Cube comes along, the film was ruined.

I agree with dustaz, everything in the film screamed shoddy cheapness.
    There's no low budget charm about it even. It's just pure crap!
    And the music, as much a fan I am of Carpenter's scores, this was terrible.
    Most of the time, it completely spoiled the mood, unlike his score for Halloween, or The Thing...

Is John going senile?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

i disagree with those who say Ice Cube was the worst thing in the movie,that accolade belongs to The head Zombie guy cross between a wwf wrestler and edward scisor hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 436 ✭✭sleepwalker

Terrible, since I'm quite a fan of John Carpenter's works.
    Halloween, The Fog, The Thing, and all the way up to Vampires...

you thought Vampires was good ?

jesus Ghost of Mars must be the worst film ever ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

Carpenter has sucked since Prince Of Darkness. With the possible exception of They Live, which was pretty funny. Pity, he used to be such a good filmmaker. The Thing is an absolute masterpiece.

Originally posted by Clintons Cat
    i disagree with those who say Ice Cube was the worst thing in the movie,that accolade belongs to The head Zombie guy cross between a wwf wrestler and edward scisor hands.

I thought he was quite cool, because he looked like the guy from Behemoth.

nergal.jpg

Originally posted by sleepwalker
    you thought Vampires was good ?

jesus Ghost of Mars must be the worst film ever ?

Yeah, vampires was good, but it depends on how you look at it.
    I love the way that the vamps didn't just *Poof* and turn to dust, but they really had a job to kill them... Shoot 'em, stake 'em, then drag 'em out into the sun... Plus, James Woods is always cool.

But Ghosts of Mars is indeed FAR worse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Clintons Cat

The film was concieved as a star vehicle for courtney love,but she pulled out during pre production with an injured foot.You can almost see the exact point that the money men backing the film got cold feet and withdrew funding.Watching the cast get chased across a tiny set and then back again was one of the many unintentionally funny highlights of the film.
    I cant agree with angelwhore about the lead wrestler guy his costume didnt gel together with the Feral/mad max, look of his followers.His most important scenes involved him standing in front of things whilst they blew up.He might as well have been standing in front of a toaster for all the emotional impact he gave the scenes,that last scene of his where he is standing on the train looking kind of sulky as it blows up behind him,was not to be to blunt about it rubish.
    I am disappointed that no one else liked the soundtrack,i thought it suited the film with its relentless bevis and butthead "shnang shnang shnang " ready metal rawk
    I think Dustaz hit the nail on the Head when he said Carpenter probally directed the film over the phone,though i like to think he directed it whilst locked in a cupboard,communicating with cast and crew by passing handdrawn pictures of stick men and smilies on toilet paper under the door.
    But i still thought it was fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

I was disapointed with it and i like John Carpenter films normally.
    It wasent the worst film ever but it was no breakfast club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

though i like to think he directed it whilst locked in a cupboard,communicating with cast and crew by passing handdrawn pictures of stick men and smilies on toilet paper under the door.

ROFLMFBO :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

saw it a while back.
    i think i should go back in to Xtravision and ask for my money back.
    definitly one of the worst movies of the year.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Originally posted by RogueDotC
    One flatmate was saved by falling asleep and My Girlfriend & I battered thru-Just recovering now to make this post.
    RogueDotC

That would be me. And that wasnt sleep Dotc, that was a self-induce emergency coma that acts as a protective defence mechanism in times of UTTERLY DIRE MOVIES...

Just thinking about how **** that movie was makes me want ........ *thud* ...*snore*

DeV.

I cant agree with angelwhore about the lead wrestler guy his costume didnt gel together with the Feral/mad max, look of his followers.His most important scenes involved him standing in front of things whilst they blew up.He might as well have been standing in front of a toaster for all the emotional impact he gave the scenes,that last scene of his where he is standing on the train looking kind of sulky as it blows up behind him,was not to be to blunt about it rubish.

Totally agreed about the toaster.
    And the end part where he died was dreadfully done.
    But all I'm saying is that he looked well impressive.

The part where he's standing infront of all his followers, shouting stuff at them, was possibly one of the few parts of the film that was in any way impressive.
    i like to think he directed it whilst locked in a cupboard,communicating with cast and crew by passing handdrawn pictures of stick men and smilies on toilet paper under the door.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
    Brilliant!

I was thinking of trying to come up with a silly conspiracy about how he was being controled by magic nose goblins, but I couldn't offer up an explanation to beat that one! You sir, are hired for the job!

Advertisement