Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IRC issue

Options
  • 16-06-2002 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭

Didn't really know where to put this but here goes.

Whenever I connect to a channel in MIRC it publishes my nick but also my server! So it not only says Zaphod has connected but also gives my ISP connection username or my IP... This doesn't happen with other people and I know this is petty but its getting on my tits. Any idea how to turn it off?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

try: mIRC Options -> IRC - tick short joins/parts and untick show addresses.

Could also try playing around with some of the other boxes in there to see if they solve it if that doesnt work

tbh though, im not 100% clear on your problem....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

If im not mistaken your asking how to hide your ip? Simple answer is that you cant. Everyones ip is shown when connected to most irc servers. Theres no reason to be overly concerned about this, but if your paranoid you could use a program called a 'bouncer', so that the irc server reports the ip of the machine the bouncer is running on, and not yours..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

OK basically the problem is when it connects it tells people that you join, right? Only with me it shows my "local host" (as found in connect/local info) to the world as well, and this doesn't happen with other ppl (I've seen that message when one other guy connected as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Zyox

happens with everyone afaik

local host is just another form of your ip, but includes what isp you on (not sure about this)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

Use a http proxy.

if you are on esat SNL you can use anyone of the following.

fester.esatclear.ie port 8080
    slimey.esatclear.ie port 8080

put those details into mIRC under the firewall tab, and your current dialup ip address wont show up on IRC.

also use a bouncer as someone else said already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Can you recommend a good "bouncer" program ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

there are many- heres just a few

http://redmoon.reverse.net/irc/bouncers/

also a lil search on http://freshmeat.net and you will find lots of em.

Regards,

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Originally posted by flamegrill
    Use a http proxy.

if you are on esat SNL you can use anyone of the following.

fester.esatclear.ie port 8080
    slimey.esatclear.ie port 8080

put those details into mIRC under the firewall tab, and your current dialup ip address wont show up on IRC.
    Be aware that some irc networks (Quakenet, for example) scan for open proxies and automatically ban you from the network if your using one..

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭noog

If anyone wants me to host them a bouncer, msg 'noog' on Quakenet IRC or send me an e-mail at simon@fr4g.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

These proxies should be secure proxies, i.e. only accessable to people on esats network.
    They seem to be concerned that your machine hasn't got a proxy running on it that is accessable to the whole world.
    Somthing like wingate incorrectly configured.
    So it should be okay.

• Advertisement
Advertisement