Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desert Eagle .50

• 16-06-2002 3:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭

Ok here she is.

deagle50.jpg

Its about 85 - 90% complete and its 1396 polys which is by far the highest amount in one of my models. The pic isn't fantastic but they will give you the jist of the model. Any comments?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭DRakE

top quality.

do nice skin now and it'll be my dealge replacement!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Magic Monkey

Hi Raven,

That Desert Eagle looks deadly. Would you mind me asking you some questions?

- What 3D modelling program do you use?
    - Do you create 1/2 the model first (e.g. left side) and then
    mirror an instance on the x-axis?
    - What is an acceptable amount of polys for a weapon model?
    - What do you use to create the skins?

How did you get into 3D weapon modelling, and do you have any tips or pointers for good tutorials/resources?

TIA,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,945 ✭✭✭Anima

Well i use 3D Studio Max 3.1. I do that technique of mirroring sometimes. On this model i did it for the grip and some parts on the slide but i usually just make a brick and then start extruding and cutting etc.. Well 500 - 700 is what valve recommend but the half-life engine is old and newer computers could handle up to 1500 - 1700. For skins i use Photoshop but i'm not brilliant at skinning so i can't really offer any advice. Try studying skins already made by good artists like Sixshooter or Iono. I started modelling last December. I had the program and i wanted to learn so i looked for some tutorials and i've been modelling ever since :)
    For modelling, I would say that you should try and plan how you are going to do the model so that you don't create alot of polys. Also i would stay away or keep booleans to a minimum because they can create alot of polys to. And taking your time is always a good thing :0
    For skining though I would find alot of tutorials and just keep practicing. I find skining to be the hardest thing to do. Pm me if you need anything.

Here are some new pics I added the hammer at the back.

deagle1.jpg

deagle2.jpg

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Looks gorgeous, as does pretty much all of your projects Rav :)
    Keep it up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Monkey, I don't think you could just mirror it - for realism's/accuracy's sake at elast.
    The gun is assymetric around the safety catch, as aremost guns.
    As for right/left hand positoning, it *may* save time in making accurate models for each.

Would be handy for improving general modeling skills in the future too :)

Raven - Looks great, and thanks for the help! :)

SyxPak - For the weapon I'm currently working on (Mach 2), the
    mirroring technique will probably work well. I'm working from an image profile, and once all the detail is done, I'll mirror it and see how it turns out. Pics will be posted when it's done.

Bear in mind I'm only a beginner, and I'll probably have WAY too many polys in, and other model/skinning issues, etc.

Um, do weapon modellers make seperate left/right hand models when creating their work?

No in the last cs update valve added some new thing that flips the right handed model to the left hand automatically. Whats a Mach2?

The Mach 2 machine gun(?) from the film "Blade".

I've attached a pic of what I've done so far...

Needs more work!

Lookin' good M.Monkey by any chance can you animate?

• Advertisement

M.Monkey, were you working from a refernece photo?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Cursed Valve..that's just being lazy.
    Should eb able to turn flipping on or off.
    The two models aren't loaded, are they? And if it's a filesize issue, they can go ram it, after wrapping that pointless ricoshít mod in with it- just like HLDM before it. Waste of D/ling time (on a 20Meg line :D)

Originally posted by SyxPak
    Waste of D/ling time (on a 20Meg line :D)

lol!

• Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭RopeDrink

Bastard...
    Anyway enough about connections and stuff along those lines, lets all have a massive discussion about tea bags!

I prefer the triangular shaped tea bags myself :)
    Syx how do you mean the guns aren't loaded?

Raven - I haven't really explored animation in 3Ds Max yet (aside from rotating teapots :) ), just modelling, but I am interested in it, and intend to give it a go soon, in the context of animation in Half-Life for weapons/characters. Why do you ask?

Drake - Yes, in the left viewport I used this picture from the Blade 2 screensaver.

I was asking because i thought you might be able to help me. I have been having probs with it and i was wondering if you could help.

Raven - What's the problem exactly?

Well i can't get the bones to move the mesh in max and i can do it in milkshape but the mesh is all messed up. You have any good tutorials?

Maybe try this?

http://www.planetfortress.com/tf2models/tuto.htm

The last 5 tutorials...

• Advertisement

Oh yeah i forgot to ask. What kind of skin should i put on it? I was thinkin of a dark grey one like the reference pic i used. I would rather not try and make a silver one like the cs one cause its very hard to get the shading and highlights right. Any thoughts?

Umm, I would go for dark grey, or perhaps grey/silver/black.
    Tempting to do a "psychedelic rainbow" skin for the gun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 973 ✭✭✭ThrAx

Make it shiney, shiney guns rule :)

Advertisement