Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Power switch connector

• 08-08-2001 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Situation is, I put my new KT7A mobo in my Dell case and all seemed to go well, hooked it up with my 300 W PSU.The fans on the Duron and the mobo itself whirr, so power seems ok to the board? The issue is that when i have it set up and go to connect the final tape lead from the power switch on the front of my case to the mobo the slot on the board is way different to my old one. The pins on the KT7A are quite long, whereas before I had the exact number that fitted on the connector.Should I be able to bypass this or what? It seems a minor problem, but one thats holding me back completely. Is there a way to verify that the power supply is indeed fine by booting the machine without hitting the switch on the case front? As in from the mobo itself.

Thx...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

There might be a jumper to bypass the soft power on. Failing that use a metal connector, screwdriver will do and use it to join the two power on pins for a second. The pc should power on then.

I had the same problem putting a new motherboard into my existing gateway case. I had to rip the wires out of the previous connector and just connect each wire individually to the motherboard pins. It's very flakey, the pc turns on and off, the power light comes on, but that's it. reset button doesn't work, nor does hdd activity led smile.gif

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Eh? And did you use it like that?

I dont want to play CS or even use the pc under constant threat of power failure smile.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Ah no, it's reliable enough. There are small metal connectors on the end of the wires that you can sort of wrap around the pins. Mind you, I don't doubt that if i kick it, it will turn off smile.gif hehe

Gav

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Renton

On any ATX Powered motherboard, you will find two pins that you connect your power switch to

If in doubt, you can always check if the pc will boot by shorting these two pins together (use the head of a screwdriver and touch both pins). There is no risk in this, as its the same as pressing the power switch.

The pins should look like this

| |
    | |
    ####

(Use a metal headed screwdriver to short these.)

Then if the pc boots, you should be laughing.

If it does, any you're still having problems, find me on irc m8

RentZ

Your complex diagrams confuse me :P

Ok, I'm going to this tonight or tommorrow.

There is a double row of pins where the lead connector should seemingly go if it fitted.

My mobo looks like this from right above:

.. .... ..

Where there are gaps there are no pins etc. What two pins are the essential ones? do i have to pull the head off my lead. if so what ones to i hook it up to? :/

[This message has been edited by bugler (edited 11-08-2001).]

• Advertisement

Hmm.My l33t diagram isn't coming out quite right.

Th top has 11 black bases with 11 pins in them.

The bottom has 11 black bases but the 1st, 4th and 9th one have no pins smile.gif hehe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

that psu worked it's ass off for me so it's not de problem tongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.giftongue.gif

To shoot or not to shoot that is the question....Answer: Fúck it all and just kill the pig.
    =DiE=[NeoSlicers]=

Advertisement