Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

21" PC TV Solution

• 16-06-2002 4:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if I could buy say a Sony 21" Tv and use that as a monitor instead. I think it would work out cheaper and as long as your video card has a tv out (and most do these days) then it should be ok.

I'd be worried about the lack of resolution though. Anyone out there with this kind of setup or opinions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

I've yet to see a TV that comes anywhere close to the resolution needed for a PC monitor. I wouldn't be in favour of using this system. Maybe it might be OK for games but for normal PC usage a proper monitor would be far better. Modern monitors also are designed to offer minimal strain on the eyes when used from close in. TV's are not designed like this and would probably be harder on your eyes over time.

Anyway I always think that if you spend much time using your PC one of the most important elements to throw a few quid at is the monitor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Korg

As has already been said, a monitor is the way to go. I thought using the bigger screen would be cool for games etc so i bought one of those ATI all in wonder thingys. however not so, the increased reslution, higher refresh rate from a half-decent monitor means games, windows looks so much better on even a 15 inch monitor than say a 29 inch telly. Your monitor will have refresh rates of anything from 75hz, 85hz, even 100hz, whereas your tv will be 50hz interlaced, wonderful for the eyes (unless you get one of those cool expensive 100hz tvs)

Interestingly, watching movies, normal tv on an actual tv looks better than on a monitor, there's better range in the brigtness levels/contrast offered by a tv set & colors seem to look a little washed out on a monitor when viewing normal video. I've checked this out using other gfx card/tv/monitor combinations etc, seems to hold up.

Advertisement