Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

cheapest insurers?

Options
  • 17-06-2002 12:00am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Who would be the cheapest people I could goto to buy insurance,
    This will be in a few months, I'm still working on the "getting the car part" heheh, I will be 17 & male, and can say my address is in Wicklow.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

17yo male?

As you can expect it'll cost you a real fortune.

Go to some of the bigger companeis and get a direct quote (their web addresses and other useful info are in a ticky at the top of the forum)

Try a good broker also.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Expect to be treated like sh1t for the next 4 years. Unless you're getting insured on your parent's car, expect to pay through the arse for insurance. If your parents are with hibernian, you *might* be able to get insured with them. Otherwise, the only company who'll insure you directly are Quinn-Direct, and they're the most expensive insurers in the country.

As sceptre said, brokers are a good idea, but expect to spend an entire day ringing around, and hearing 'Sorry, we don't quote for under 25's/21's for most of the day'.

seamus is bored today - Quinn Direct, online quote, 17yo male student, obviously no experience or crashes, Prov Licence, 1.2L Fiat Punto HLX 2000, worth €7,000, no frills, TPF&T comes to ...........

€8,562.70

yum. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Expect to be treated like sh1t for the next 4 years.
    Add another 4 onto that and you get 8 years.. a bit more accurate!! Im 22 (23 in Aug) and still pay in terms of thousands even though i have 4 years of claim free full licence driving behind me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

This might be relevant for u. I have arrangement with insurance company to do 25 driving lessons first then they will insure me 15% cheaper, have to pay for some lessons anyway :)
    btw, i'm 27....insurance still very expensive for a driver starting off whether u are 17 or 27.
    Maybe u are better off getting motorbike first or insure as named driver on parents policy :)...or wait 10 years :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭Jackoman

Everyone else is completely right. It sucks trying to get insured when you are a male, that fact that youare 17 leaves you pretty screwed. The best thing yo ucan do is get a policy in your mum or dad's name with you as a named driver - its cheaper than getting your own policy at that age.

I am with Bank of Ireland - who run a subsidiary of Hibernian - they pretty much all do. It was the cheapest for me, 23, with a difference of €500 from calling Hibernian directly.

Also when you get your license you can arrange to do an advanced driving course which can get you up to 20% off your bill. Its cheap and you dont even have to drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

25 lessons is very OTT. I passed my test (first time) after 9 or 10.
    The cost of 25 lessons would offset the benefit of 15% off !!

Best advice I can give is just grin and bear it (not much you can do about it at that age), and pass your test ASAP.

- Dave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

If I were you I'd try to get myself onto your parents policy for a few months. If they'll let you have the car try to get in as much mileage as possible and do a decent course of driving lessons to spot all the faults you end up with as a new driver. (Preferably get some lessons before you get too much experience of doing things the wrong way)

Find out how long you have to wait for a test in your local centre on average and apply so it falls sometime when you'll have a lot of time to do a few more lessons and head out in the car.

If you're lucky and are a decent driver you'll have the licence shortly afterwards.

As mentioned above the cheapest way to get insurance for you would be to get your parents to insure another car with the same company they're with. It'll probably have to be with your parents company. My father retired recently and had to sitch back to ordinary insurance from his company policy. My loading (21 soon, Male, full licence for a year) as a named driver was huge (too dear to pay) as he has no record with the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

Originally posted by seamus
    Quinn-Direct, and they're the most expensive insurers in the country.

Not in my experience. Last year they quoted me a grand cheaper than anyone else. I put a freind onto them and he save 600 pounds. They actually gave me the cheapest basic quote this year too, but I saved 20% on the Hibernian Ignitition scheme.

Originally posted by Jackoman
    and you dont even have to drive.

It sounds like you're referring to the Ignition scheme offered by Hibernian. It's free but you do have to pass a advanced driving test to get the discount. This is no use to exiztone2k though. It's only open to people with a full license (held for less than 5 years and under 25).

Originally posted by Blitzkrieger
    This is no use to exiztone2k though. It's only open to people with a full license (held for less than 5 years and under 25).

....And who have a parent with a 5 year no claims bonus with Hibernian, which chops out huge amount of the rest of the country. Hibernian are the biggest crooks in this country. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,154 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

In 1998 in Dublin, I was 22 looking for Insurance on a Fiesta. I thought I was being ripped off with 1650. Now I'd cry to get that quote.

4 years on, no claims, full licence and nearly 27 years old, I'm still paying the same insurance, albeit on an MGF. However, if I try to insure something else, like a 2.2 prelude, 2.0V6 FTO or Fiat Coupe, you'd swear I had a wanted tag on my head and an warrant out for my arrest for mowing down a shopping mall of innocent pedestrians with a bulldozer. They want to double my insurance to go for any of the above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭NeRb666

Well, I'm 23, full licence, 2 years no claims...first year I paid £1678 TPFT, last year it went up to £2150, it's due for renewal next month and the cheapest I've got so far is €2600, which is pretty much the same as last year.

My advice: get the bus, it's not nice but it beats the **** out of 8 grand on nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Originally posted by TmB
    25 lessons is very OTT. I passed my test (first time) after 9 or 10.
    The cost of 25 lessons would offset the benefit of 15% off !!
    yeh it sounds alot...have done 20 so far, the insurance company says 25hrs is the equivalent of 1 years no-claims bonus, and after 1 year of driving its worth 2 yrs ncb and so on for 5 yrs. Thats what attracted me to it instead of throwing away dead money on a quote and then doing additional lessons.
    Anyway best advice is indeed to pass the test asap and get older :)

Originally posted by gurramok

yeh it sounds alot...have done 20 so far, the insurance company says 25hrs is the equivalent of 1 years no-claims bonus, and after 1 year of driving its worth 2 yrs ncb and so on for 5 yrs.

How the **** can they say that? "Pay us €23 per lesson for 25 lessons (€575), and we'll pretend you're an experienced driver."
    Ffs. You'd have to be paying €4,000 per year anyway for it to be of any use to you (€25 saving woooo :rolleyes: ). 25 lessons=25 hours, and you won't learn much past the tenth anyway. When I had a car I was doing at least 20 hours in the car on a normal week. After 4 weeks was I experienced enough to claim 3 years ncb? Ehhh no.. Bull****. Don't pay them a penny more than you have to. Quinn-Direct are gonna attempt to sue me for €400 more, because they're a bunch of incompetent fúckers. I'll fight them till the ends of the earth (and yes, I'm totally in the right).

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Just a few of my experiences
    1. Do the advanced driving course. I had a ****ty cert from the UK and they knocked 25% of the premium. This is every year from now on as well.
    2. Say that you drive between 0 and 5000 miles per year. Another 5%
    3. Ask for a 'Step-down' policy. This means that if you claim in any year then your 50% bonus isn't wiped clean, instead its reduced in say 25% steps. It only costs about 50Euro/year.
    4. Try and get a non-Dublin address, it certainly reduces your premium.

I use Hibernian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

TBQH, you really do not need 25 lessons. If you got 8/9/10 good lessons and a few refreshers before your test. Thats what I did, although I did take a decent few before the test because I hadn't driven for 6 months, I couldn't use my fathers car the day of the test and I had absolutely no idea of the test route I was supposed to be driving. (These were only IR £14 a lesson though) Worked out well for me.

The only problem for some people is that these days its getting so expensive to get put on your parents insurance especially if they don't have a long insurance record with the company.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

How the **** can they say that? "Pay us €23 per lesson for 25 lessons (€575), and we'll pretend you're an experienced driver."
    Ffs.

You're not wrong.

The actuarian tables presumably say that someone who's done those lessons is x% less likely to have a claim and it's down to that.

It's all down to the tables. If they found out that people driving, say, blue cars were less likely to have an accident, there would be a reduction for that (except they don't do that obviously because everyone would switch to blue cars. Over time, if they find there's no actuarial advantage to giving people a discount for doing those lessons, the reduction will disappear)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,661 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

....And who have a parent with a 5 year no claims bonus with Hibernian, which chops out huge amount of the rest of the country. Hibernian are the biggest crooks in this country. :mad:

There used to be condititions on it but since the start of the year it's open to anyone (under 25 with a full license for less than 5 years). A 20% discount for doing a (free) one day course is not to be sniffed at.
    Originally posted by thegills
    1. Do the advanced driving course. I had a ****ty cert from the UK and they knocked 25% of the premium. This is every year from now on as well.

That's not true - it's only until you reach max no-claims. i.e. if max no-claims is 56% after 5 years, if it's 48% after 4 years you will no longer recieve a full discount for the advanced driving cert. Also - don't you mean 20%?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

I've been driving 6 years, never made a claim so I would imagine my no-claims bonus is at its max. which I thought is 50%. Hibernian still accepted the training cert and offered a discount. I got 30% off for supplying the cert, saying I drove less than 5000 miles a year and also got a step-down no-claims policy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Nero

You could try where I got mine - www.123.ie. Or ekse try www.insure.ie, the latter being a little more expensive somehow even though the quotes came from the same company. This way at least saves you a few phone calls as it does the work for you.

Advertisement