Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL problem.

Options
  • 17-06-2002 9:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Hmm since i got DSL solo.
    I got Norton Systemworks and Internet Security.
    And my PC is so slooooooowwwwww.
    Anyone know a decent firewall Anti virus package for always on ?that doesnt hog the PC.

I find Solo is faster but not as much as i thought it would be ,i connect at 4mbits ,is this correct?

Pc seems generally slower since i got it :(
    kdja

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Son of Blam

Originally posted by kdja
    I find Solo is faster but not as much as i thought it would be ,i connect at 4mbits ,is this correct?

From the www.adsl.ie page:

eircom i-stream solo
    Speeds are up to 512kbps downstream/128kbps upstream

512kbps is half an "mbit".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

its quite possible he is connected at 1mb, I know of at least 1 other person with i-steam solo that gets connected at 1mb. he kept it quite quiet though and said noting to eircom.

As for the firewall/anti virus. Well id bring an old 486 back to life, that is if you have a ethernet adsl modem, and stick linux or a BSD on it and use it as a firewall - internet gateway.

other than that there are quite a few software packages available out there to provide software fiewalls.

have a look here - http://www.firewallguide.com/software.htm

the following seem to be some of the best - although they are not freeware if thats an issue.

BlackICE PC Protection
    Norton
    Sygate Pro
    ZoneAlarm Pro

there about some of the best you can get. click on their names on that site above and you will see a review for them.

Regards,

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 5,338 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Anyone know a decent firewall Anti virus package for always on ?that doesnt hog the PC.

For a firewall try Tiny Personal Firewall
    http://www.tinysoftware.com/home/tiny?pg=tpf_summary&la=EN&va=aa

And for AV Software, I've been using AVG Virus Scan for awhile now and find it's pretty good.
    http://www.grisoft.com/html/us_index.htm

Like Son of Blam said, it's a 512k connection you've got. Is one of Norton's programs reporting this? (the 4mbits connection speed)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

:(sorry 4Mbps connectiion
    Typo
    kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

Pc seems generally slower since i got it :(

alright then, give the dsl up and give it to me :D , I'd take a slow pc over a fast pc with a 56k anyday !!!!!

*me have no sympathy because me is jealous*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,406 ✭✭✭ando

:(sorry 4Mbps connectiion
    Typo
    kdja

oh yeah, thats only the speed of the usb device to the pc, not the actual connection to the internet speed. You should goto one of those speed test sites, that'll tell you your speed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Regarding dumbass proof Firewalls:
    Smoothwall
    20meg Iso, burn it, grab a PC with a hard drive, 2 nics, a CDROM drive (even temporarily) and a 486+ cpu.
    You tell it to boot from the CDRom (or get it to using a custom Bootdisk) and it'll ask you once if you want to go ahead with installation.
    It then wipes the dsik and sts itself up.
    Can be remotely adminned across the LAN through a web interface aparently.
    haven't had a chance to use it myself due to lack of working mobo, but it seems a nice setup.
    Woudn't require a whole lot of loonix knowledge either, though it's *n*x at it's core.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

cool thx for the help ppl.
    Have 2 crappy boxes that fred flinstone used to own.
    Will set one up as a gateway and then post for help on that ...LOL
    thx much appreciated.
    kdja

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

Advertisement