Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mc Carthy decides to stay on as manager.

• 17-06-2002 9:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Just mentioned at the end of the USA/Mexico game.
    had some reasons
    1 backing he got from FAI over keane.
    2 fans in japan
    3 unbeaten in tournament.

wow ireland were unbeaten in the World Cup.
    All those post about sacking him make so much sense now?????

Kdja

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,718 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Some reasons for sacking McCarthy
    1) His mis-man management of Keane (Our top scorer in qualifying as well as being the master of the sideways pass).

2)The fans deserve better than what he can give.

3) His tournament record which included late, late equalisers against Germany and Spain, a Second half equaliser against Cameroon who should have been 3 or 4 nill up, oh and a 3-0 win over Saudi Arabia.

4)His inept team selections which lead to his reputation as a tactical genius when he actually subs off the players he shouldnt have picked in the first place.

5)The fact that he seems to have a mental compulsion about playing our best players out of position, so as to hopefully make sure they cant impact on the game.

Proud of the team, but we could have done so much better if wed had a half decent coach - looking at the groups beforehand we could and should have won our group, none of the teams were great at all - either on paper or on the field, after that quarter finals are a minimum considering we would have been playing South Africa in the second round. The sad bloody thing is thatll he be running the show to Euro 2004 whilst our best player and top scorer in qualification will be sitting in Cork.

Our current WC record is what... 2 Wins (Italy and saudi arabia), 8 draws (Win on penos against romania, lose on penos to Spain, 3 defeats (Italy, Holland and Mexico)

I was hoping after this WC the win record would be at least higher than the losses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Agree w/ Sands.

His comments over practising penos are stupid too, damn right you can practice: you should practice til you drop from tiredness and it's still automatic.

I don't blame Harte at all - it's not his fault, but Micks, who shouldnt have picked him after such dreadful performances in the group matches.

Soz Mick, we did well despite your management, not because of it.

And bring back Roy Keane whatever happens for gawd sake, don't be should fuckin children, you're embarassing and denying the nation.

Al.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,768 ✭✭✭Xterminator

I have to agree that we did well despite Mick, rather than because of him.

His subsitutions did work out well.

BUT

As mentioned, his alllowing the situation come about where (Roy) Keane was absentwas lamentable.
    His continuall playing of Duff out of position in the first half of each game, only to revert to playing him on the wings in the second half (each time)! When will mick realise if he's on the wing from the start, we might actually play well in the first half of some games.

Sticking with out of form players can be good for them, but not to the detriment of the team, (Ian Harte, Mark Kenedy (when he's fit), Kevin Kilbane ... etc etc)

When he applied for the irish job, can you imagine what his cv read like?
    "Well I managed Millwall from the first division to the brink of the second division, and spend millions of east european players who turned out to be crap!"
    FFS

Fair play to the team tho, Well Done!
    My bets are on Duff to stay with the Rovers, and a champions league place this season for Blackburn!

X

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭Gambler

/me goes against the grain again..

I think he did an excellent job. His substitutions WERE perfect.. Not a coincidence I think he just played it well..

I think if we lost him as manager it would be a huge loss to the team..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 544 ✭✭✭pauldeehan

I agree with Gambler. I think McCarthy did a good job and it was Keane's own fault that he got sent home. He thought he was untouchable and could do anything he wanted. McCarthy proved him wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

No Complaints overall about McCarthy. He and the team did an excellent Job and they did deserve to go further but sometimes that doesn't happen.

I think they stand a great chance in 2004, looking at our group I would expect them to qualify for Portugal. I better get saving :)

Gandalf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭suppafly

Originally posted by pauldeehan
    I agree with Gambler. I think McCarthy did a good job and it was Keane's own fault that he got sent home. He thought he was untouchable and could do anything he wanted. McCarthy proved him wrong.

It definetly wasn't keanes fault he was sent home. It was crappy management that made him leave. Everybody know about the crap facilities and the really long "scenic route" they toke to get to saipan, but i'm not getting to that now. I agree with Sands, he is a crappy Manager, as sands says he always plays r best players out of postision.

as for his his substitutions being "perfect", as gambler said, i dunno know how u can say that!! He brought on Connolly!! I mean he has never helped ireland. Last time he played he got sent off. He should have brought on someone good like reid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

His substitutions WERE perfect
    Fùck off. You can't say that. Bringing Connolly (along woth Carsley the worst player to pull on thr Ireland shirt in recent years) on for a player who was playing well (Kelly), instead of taking one off who wasn't playing well (Kilbane) was unforgivable.

However, it all comes down to who do you want in charge when we face Russia in Moscow in September (why not save for that?). I want McCarthy. The results, but also the performances, have been enough to justify him staying on. I admit he proved me wrong. Some of the criticism on here is laughable. Basically people are saying that when we play well it has nothing to do with the manager, but when we play badly its all his fault.

Main reasons for wanting him to leave would be the spectacular failure to prepare for penalties (don't anyone try to tell me that Connolly, Kilbane, and Holland were chosen by anybody other than themselves). I think we could do with Roy Keane back, but given the choice I'd have McCarthy stay, as the spirit of the team throughout was positive. However, spirit doesn't win penalty competitions, while practice will be useful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

Originally posted by Sand
    Some reasons for sacking McCarthy
    1) His mis-man management of Keane (Our top scorer in qualifying as well as being the master of the sideways pass).

Harte scored one less goal. Ian Harte. Lets re-read some of the posts and think about that for a second.

Also, i dont care what anyone says, the plane journeys, pitches and mineral bloody water are the FAI's problem not mccarthys. If you want a smooth running machine, hire a ****ing wedding planner. Otherwise let the manager sort out the results on the pitch and have the association dragged out of the stone age to look after the rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

At least we`re playing attractive football, better than the route one era of ten years ago.

Micks doing an ok job, leave him. It wud be stupid to sack a manager who has built the team from scratch esp when we`ve now got a decent team to build on.

Mainly
    Shay Given
    Steve Finnan
    Matt holland
    Duff
    Robbie Keane

all we need is a decnt centre half(young one) and we`re sorted.

O Shea and O Brien anyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Mick McCarthy is nothing special as a manager/coach... he's fairly average, - and the results he's gotten from a team, whose true potential has yet to be realised (well past it's time), are also fairly average.

He would be missed, of course, were he to leave the job... but he wouldn't be difficult to replace.

As it is, he's staying,- and he'll have a hard task ahead of him for the next two years. Vast improvement is still needed if they're ever going to realise the potential that is there in that squad of players and if they're ever to come tops in any international tournament(s).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

He did a great job, his celebration after Keane scored against germany was a good enough reason to let him stay on a further two years.

Only disappointment was not beating Germany and Cameroon, then we would have had a much easier route to the final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭plastic membrane

I hope he stays longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,066 ✭✭✭BKtje

he's a decent coach.

he made some good decesions and some totally woeful ones.
    I was surprised at how good Breen looked at the centre of our defence. I believe that was brought about by the presence of Staunton alongside him and Mick's training (or whatever he did . Mick can take credit seeing as Breen actually has no clucb :p )

He made a load of mistakes in hindsight but i think the team played attractive football. It was a pleasure to watch (if not nerve wrecking for being behind so much)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,818 ✭✭✭Bateman

I was surprised at how good Breen looked at the centre of our defence.

Endorsed. I thought Breen was very composed at the back, and I feared that when Staunton went off the defence would lose shape, but they didn't. Staunton was a rock, and seems to have instilled a bit of composure in our defence that I didn't think was there before. Even in his absence he seems to be a steadying influence.

Advertisement