Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

moped / scooter Q

Options
  • 17-06-2002 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭

im on a budget ....

and would like to know if any one could direct me to a place that sells them at budget prices new or second hand ...

also any one know a place that will insure under 18's on them el cheap ...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you wanna find them second hand, get someone with a car, and spend a day travelling around bike shops. Most will have loads of second hand mopeds/scooters, and will sort you out with insurance too.

There's a place in Tallaght though that sells cars/bikes (forget the name), and does half price insurance on new mopeds. Probably why mopeds are so popular in tallaght. It's across the road from that park at the junction of the N81/Old Bawn Road, on the opposite corner to the solicitor's. I can remember all that, but I can't remember it's name!! ;)

Designate a day, get your dad/mum/brother/someone with a car, grab a copy of the buy and sell - loads of bike shop ads in there - grab a phone and ring each one asking for second hand scooters. Then drive there! That's the best way of getting a second hand bike.
    :D

Don't worry about your insurance. It should be less than a grand, which is sh1t cheap for driving anything on a road under 18yo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,230 ✭✭✭OLDYELLAR

I was ringing around insurance companies today and i found the cheapest for young drivers to be hibernian in waterford , i was insured with them anyway through a broker who gave me a quote of 560 euro but when i rang em direct they said 399 euro which was some drop , am axa and carole nash wont insure under 24 year olds as far as i am aware and i found Wrights to be the dearest so try hibernian , i`d say its your best bet , if you get a cheaper one tell me . I wouldnt really know where to get a cheap bike , but maybe the insurance info will help you a bit .

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

thanks for the help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Harmo

Take my advice if ur in the market for a second hand moped don't bother with 1 buy a bran new one. I worked in a bike shop which im not gonna mention which bought 2nd hand bikes in that were not worth a $hit cleaned them up gav them a service and sold them for double the price they payed for them and any1 who was stupid enough to buy 1 was stuck wit sum1 elses prob!!!!!

So the moral of the story is dont buy a second hand moped they dont last very long.:p

just wanted to say KEEP WELL AWAY FROM INSURANCE BROKERS i just found out that me and a friend are getting screwed over by ours and we are both with different brokers , so you should go directly to the company if at all possible , the brokers worked out to be complete rip off merchants , so ..its just some friendly advice .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Cr8or

i got an offer of a 97 aprilla for €700 im not really into the idea of a sweeer moped but its the only thing in my price range..... and i know what u said about second hand but if this one ****s up i can bring it back ..... m8 of a m8 and all .....

what yea think is it a good deal

i was also thinking of getting insured by the month any reason i shouldent ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 310 ✭✭Harmo

It depends on the condition of the bike at first glace it might look good but a month down the road will it still be like that, check the miles anythin over 25k on a 97 id leave alone also find out who was the previous owner if its a man or women over 20 chances are that the bike was just used for getting from A to B but if it was a teenager who proeviously ownded it stay well clear, as for getting insured by hte month there isnt anything wrong with that as long as u can make the payments.

Thats sounds like a good offer there , but you should get it checked out by someone that knows something about it before you fork out the cash .....p.s do not accept "i will post on the tax book " demand it on the spot , on my first bike i had the worst hassle ever over a lost tax book and also the bike was second hand ....the biggest pile of crap ever and the previous owner was a rip off merchant ......best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Originally posted by OLDYELLAR
    p.s do not accept "i will post on the tax book " demand it on the spot

Well unfortunately, the changing of the licensing cert is the responsibility of the previous owner - the new owner could decide not to change the details, and the previous owner would receive the speeding fines, summonses, etc and there'd be nothing he can do about it. But seeing as it's a mate of a mate, that shouldn't be a big deal. A '97 moped for €700? Sounds like a bit of a ripoff tbh. Remember, that makes it five years old. Ask him if he has receipts from the last time he had it serviced, or if not, ask him to bring it along (with you) to a bike shop, where they can inspect it (usually for free). Second Hand buying is a minefield believe me :)

Advertisement